Arcane Reservoir (the podcast)

Psientologist

I'm sure I posted a thread about the show when it had started, but now we are up to the 9th episode and I'll be recording the 10th tomorrow.

Arcane Reservoir is a podcast (here http://arcanereservoir.podbean.com/)where I talk with my friend Aaron and guests about a whole host of Malifaux subjects, tactics, tournaments and sometimes a bit of hobby.

Rather than leave it that generic I'll give you a quick run down of the first 9 episodes to see if it sounds like something you may like.

+1 Bight Start, Dark Faux: This is the first episode with just myself and Aaron, explaining what happened to the show we used to do, what the podcast is about and then the main brunt of it is a tournament report of Dark Faux a four round event in London where I (as always) took Arcanists and Aaron took Guild. Spoilers: we both got best in faction.

+2 Scot Railwalker Bru: One of the longest shows to date at almost 3 hours, I advice listening to this on a long commute or just get acquainted with the pause button. This episode Aaron and I are joined by Scottish GT organiser (and recent best Arcanist at the largest Malifaux event ever) Joe Taylor. This is kind of a love letter from me as I loved our time in Scotland (we're based on the south coast of England btw) and the Scottish GT was a fantastic event over two days.

+3 The Chosen Con: 3 Lessons Learnt: This episode we are joined by someone who becomes a very regular guest the UK no.1 Greg Piskosz. He comes on to chat about his trip to Gen Con, how to be a better Malifaux player, early Wave 3 impressions and more. It's always good poking the brain of the current best, a lot of cool stories and a lot to learn.

+4 Smokey, Dark, Prompt: with GenCon passing and everyone and their mother grabbing the Dark Carnival we are joined by Martin Wodehouse, current UK top Arcanist and avid Colette player. Martin talks briefly about a recent tournament win and we pick his brains about how to use Colette/Cooper, her box set without her and most importantly how to beat her.

+5 Three Jokers in One Hand: Aaron and I have three guests this show, Maria, Garry and Josh of the Black Jokers team, We speak briefly about an event we had all attended not long before and with a mix of players we speak about some wave 3 impressions. Maria being one of the top players in the UK is another person who when she speaks you should listen and learn. Also Garry and Josh are good too ;-)

+6 Starting something, well grim: We get Greg back on the show and do a run down of the two player starter models. Are they good? Where are they nice as mercenaries? All this and more.

+7 All the Questions, some of the answers: Just myself and Aaron as we answer twitter questions from the listeners. We make Nationals predictions, we chat about running tournaments, what to expect the first time you attend one, the top mercenaries and more.

+8 Conflux of Discussion (part 1): We get Greg back for a similar show to +6 except this time we go through the Emissaries of Fate. This show we cover the first three (Guild, Rezer, Arcanist) in a lot of detail. Where are they good, when to take the 0ss generic upgrade and much more. Part 2 of this will be +9 for those who want our perspectives on the Neverborn, Outcast, Gremlins and Thunders Emissary.

+9 Stolen Fates, Bracketology 102:  After a big twitter buzz about the Cheated Fates top henchman discussion where everyone seemed to love the show but think the panel were crazy, we decided to do our own "UK twist". Myself and Aaron, grab Greg again, but also James Doxey (Mythic Fox) and Luke Cocksedge, two other top UK players to do our own version with a poll ran and responded by many more players. We discuss the bottom of the barrel before delving into the top 16 bracket, declaring a winner and then chatting about who we were surprised didn't make the cut.

As I said +10 will be the second part of the Emissary discussion, +11 should be me hosting a Bayou Broadcast reunion with Craig Johnson and "The Announcer" Dom Westerland. Finally +12 will be a 2015 round up to finish off the year with myself and Aaron.

So far I have released Arcane Reservoir every fortnight on a Thursday (in the UK at least) and I intend to stick to this schedule.

Please leave a comment

Sound good? 

Already listen?

Feedback is always welcome.

• what is the best episode?
  • favourite guest?
  • what needs more coverage?
  • what do you not care to listen about?
  • anyone you'd like on who hasn't been?

http://arcanereservoir.podbean.com/ is the link for the site. It's on iTunes, but if you use something else and can't listen, please give me a heads up and I'll endeavour to get the show on that format.

• Like 2

I've enjoyed the podcast so far. Listened to all episodes bar #2. Anyway feedback -

Sound good? - I do generally need to turn my volume up to hear Ben. The guest and aaron are usually a little louder.

Aside from myself, the best guest is a bit of a cop out as it coincidences with best episode - #9. The panel. That episode was great!

More coverage?  I dunno. Tbh I enjoy the tactical discussions and the rambly fun episodes.

Episode 8 best, highly informative, well paced.

Favourite guest, rather not say (kind of a put down for other guests.

Least favourite, henchman discussion, too many opinions though all the guests were well informed and fair.

More of same, varied subjects and guests, great podcast

Too many opinions is the wrong way of putting it. More like too heavily opinionated., although all the guest were fair and opinions were well . Ultimately it's just not that interesting personally

.In contrast the emissary episode provided fresh insight and got me to see the fun i missed in the guild emissary

Primarily a matter of taste..

• Like 1

I started from the beginning with episode one, it was interesting and I'll continue on.

One of the hosts (I think the guild player) said you couldn't accomplice/companion if you failed a horror duel, what is the reasoning behind this? It seems to me like you could since you still perform the "End activation" step with the model (page 52).

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2015 at 9:48 PM, Bengt said:

I started from the beginning with episode one, it was interesting and I'll continue on.

One of the hosts (I think the guild player) said you couldn't accomplice/companion if you failed a horror duel, what is the reasoning behind this? It seems to me like you could since you still perform the "End activation" step with the model (page 52).

I asked him when I read this but, I'll be honest I forgot if he even answered. It doesn't actually sound right to me and must've passed me by at the time of recording.

Forestreverie is his name on here, can't speak for him but maybe DM him and ask?

I almost forgot that I put this thread here which actually works well as I for people still not sure can put a brief synopsis of the episodes which have been released since.

+10 Conflux of Discussion (Part 2): As the title suggests this continues on from +8 covering the last 4 Emissaries, all their upgrades and a brief in summary chat. Still with guests Aaron Bailey and UK no.1 Greg Piskosz

+11 Nightmare Edition Before Christmas: I have both Dom "the Announcer" (from Breachside Broadcast) Westerland and Craig Johnson (former UK master) join me on the show for what is for them a "Bayou Broadcast reunion" as such. We cover the UK Nationals the biggest single Malifaux tournament in the world, where both players did well (and I did mediocre at best). We discuss Craig's time away and return to the scene as genuinely the guy is scarily good at miniatures games. We also discuss the potential of an ETC style tournament and much more. If you're after a shorter show this episode clocks in at about an hour and ten minutes.

AR Christmas Bonus: I am joined by the UK Masters TO Joel Henry along with Greg and returning guest Luke Cocksedge as we run down the 16 players who have qualified for the UK masters, the four groups they have been put in to and who we think will get through and also who might win.

This little show as the title says was a bonus but is a fairly exciting little conversation speaking about 2015's cream of the crop.

+12 Year One: As is tradition for podcasts to do I sit down in person with Aaron (much like the very first show) and chat about 2015. How did it go for us, did we reach our goals, what was the best event, best game, nicest models and probably more. This show also includes some 2016 plans moving forwards and unfortunately moves Aaron from a host to the regular guest slot he always claimed he had.

Things move on though.

+13 and +14 are in the bag.

This week's show out on Thursday (I've kept to schedule so far) will have myself joined by "MythicFox" James Doxey and Luke Cocksedge as we discuss the "filth" and the "broken" and basically address many Internet rants with a serious angle.

The following show is a bit more of a ramble if that's the sort of thing you're after as I have Tim Brown and Stuart Snares on to chat about upcoming events, their 2015 and 2016 goals and just general rubbish because most of us haven't played much over the Christmas break.

As they say on TV "but wait, there's more"

I aim to have +15 be an interview with the UK Master, making the assumption they are someone willing to come on the show.

If you have any questions for them please either DM me here or tweet @ArcaneReservoir as that is where I "hang out" social media wise.

Also I discuss bringing back the blog and #MFXTOP which is a monthly Malifaux painting competition. If you have any suggestions for things you'd like to read about rather than just hear or think will make a good article please let me know.

Cheers guys, hope you enjoy the show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+13 is out and about talking about "Broken" lists.

+14 is out on Thursday and is a shorter more casual show.

+15 is lined up and the New UK Master Graham "Blutack" Bursnell has already agreed to come on for a chat. So if you want to hear all about the UK Masters (the 16 player invitational to not confuse those in the US) from the new master's perspective, what was there, what happened etc. look to AR in just over two weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+14 has been out a week and is much more casual chat between friends about the year gone and coming along with a very brief tournament report.

+15 has been recorded, it's an interview with the UK Master Graham Bursnell, with some chat about GG2016 and Aionus

Also starting this week, every fortnight that the podcast isn't out there will be a blog over here:

http://arcanereservoir.blogspot.co.uk/

This week's blogpost is about my first pair of tournaments of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

+15 has been out for a couple of weeks and is a chat with Luke and the UK Master "Blutack" Bursnell about the masters event itself, Aionus and a dash of GG2016

Tomorrow +16 should be out too, I'm joined by Mark Elwood (UK no2) and James "MythicFox" Doxey as they chat about their recent GG2016 tournament experiences (including 3 wins between them) and give some nice strategical chat which can hopefully help you too.

• 3 weeks later...

Keeping this thread up-to-date even if no one replies.

+16 was as exactly described as above.

+17 released the Thursday just past sees myself, Mark Elwood and Luke Cocksedge chat about the ever growing scene, the love of it and the game. Rankings, Safe spaces and some other "lovey" stuff too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+18 is out later today, using the same format as +9 myself and the panel of guests go through the top 16 Enforcers in Malifaux and declare the overall winner after a bracket based battle.

Guests on +18 are UK No.1 Greg Piskosz, Top Arcanist Martin Wodehouse, Former no.1 and regular Luke Cocksedge and THE moderator and top player James Doxey.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/04/2016 at 10:31 PM, Ceodoc said:

I can't find the final list of 16 top Enforcer could you linky for me please?

Ta

Apologies, didn't see this reply and further apologies as I never actually posted the 16.

Can do if there is still a demand for it.

IN OTHER NEWS!

+20 IS OUT NOW

I'm joined by Luke Cocksedge as he chats with me about Daffcon and his gaming experiences as well as his experiences running an event too. We also chat about "set lists", keeping familiar and vassal. Plus a good healthy bit of rambling.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

+21 and +22 are both out!

+21 we chat about our time at 36 player event Cow Wars 3. Guests are Mark Elwood (UK no1 and winner of aforementioned Cow Wars) and Tim Brown. Between chatting about games we take some listener questions about subjects such as "auto-take" schemes, upcoming events and general community chat.

+22 I'm joined by Tim once again but this time we have Snezzley on the line (for most of the show), the two of them chat about Grumpy Goblin's first Malifaux tournament and we talk about how rankings maybe should change, what it's good for as well as some shout outs for players we think are up-and-coming in the UK scene.

+23 will be out on the 9th of June and expect that to cover the English GT and possibly Under the Hanging Tree 2.

• 3 weeks later...

+23 came out and it was indeed about the English GT as myself and three other guests go other this epic event.

If you would like to hear about Under the Hanging Tree 2 let me know (I actually did alright) as I may do a blog.

+24 will be out on the 23rd, topics are yet undecided but the episode after is the FIRST BIRTHDAY SPECIAL

• 4 weeks later...

+24 we took a look back at Shifting Loyalties and it's effect on the scene almost a year in.

+25 is this Thursday and is the BIRTHDAY SHOW

I need your questions for a Q&A type segment, all questions I read out on the show will get one virtual ticket into a prize raffle as a thank you.

The Prize bundle will be shown shortly and questions need to be in ideally before Tuesday night if you want a better chance to make the cut.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I realise it's been a while since I've updated this thread, but the show has still come out with a new episode every other Thursday.

+26 I'm joined by Josh and Tim where we discuss two events we've been too, the errata had come out so we put down our thoughts, what we like and didn't and what is on our "wish list" to get fixed too.

+27 IS THE SCOTTISH GT I said my favourite event I've ever been to was the Scottish GT 2015, well now it's the Scottish GT 2016. I'm joined by the tournament winner, tournament organiser and another guest as we chat about the tournament and everything around it.

+28 NEW IMPROVED RECORDING STYLE  Tim and Josh are back and this time we don't let Skype distort the crap out of our audio (we have nice mics dammit). We discuss UK no.1 Mark Elwood's first tournament in Huntingdon which one of us won (spoiler not me).

+29 Ripples of Fate. Gremlins. This show is the start of a series of seven where I grab some of the best players in the UK to come on and give their first impressions of what's hot and what's not in the Ripples book.

Next show will be the Resurrectionists where I am joined by the newly crowned best Rezer in the UK, the 2nd best (by half a ranking point) and a Masters competitor (UK Masters aka top 16) to discuss everything from Reva to the Goryo.