November 23rd - Aionus

Lucidicide

Our local gremlin player has pointed out that the bubble of fast + Somer + gremlin spam = 20+ bayou-two-card-fueled shots per turn at 12"...

Thatsa lot of cards having to be used. Sure, they only have to be 4 or higher. And you can generate that many cards with gremlin spam, but most of them would probably be better used to actually hit rather than miss a second time. 

I like the interesting Mechanics on him, and think he looks interesting, but 13 SS as a merc makes him tought to fit in some crews, which is good. 

With two card you are getting two chances to hit with each shot though. You'll either death of thousand cuts the target or bleed their hand dry in the process. 

I agree that it is hard to know how bad it will be just through theoryfaux and I will be very interested to see what happens on the table. Fast plus reckless plus Lenny plus Somer is hopefully an interaction that got some heavy testing before they finalized the card...

Our local gremlin player has pointed out that the bubble of fast + Somer + gremlin spam = 20+ bayou-two-card-fueled shots per turn at 12"...

With two card you are getting two chances to hit with each shot though. You'll either death of thousand cuts the target or bleed their hand dry in the process. 

I agree that it is hard to know how bad it will be just through theoryfaux and I will be very interested to see what happens on the table. Fast plus reckless plus Lenny plus Somer is hopefully an interaction that got some heavy testing before they finalized the card...

You also have to consider that, rather than Aionus, you could have just brought 4 more Bayou Gremlins. Which is 8 more AP without Reckless and 12 more AP with it, and you don't have to ditch any cards. And you'd have 1 stone still left over.

Aionus is cool with Gremlin spam. But he doesn't bring much to it that... more Gremlin spam wouldn't have brought anyway.

• Like 6

It might just be where I'm looking at his picture in detail for the first time...but between the pose and the beard, he looks like Gandalf and Gollum's secret lovechild.

As a Neverborn player, I could see myself using Aionus as part of a Lynch crew. Not for Huggy tricks (sadly :() but with a certain scheme runner:

Discard a card, give a Terror Tot fast - 3 sprints in one turn. :D

Edited by Hungering Derpness
  • Like 2

I am interested in finding out more about Aionus as a character. His abilities certainly indicate being related to Tara and company. He has no characteristics other than his station and being a mercenary and the "Beyond Your Magic" certainly indicate certain interesting facets to his background. Going to be see where they take the story next.

• Like 3

I am interested in finding out more about Aionus as a character. His abilities certainly indicate being related to Tara and company. He has no characteristics other than his station and being a mercenary and the "Beyond Your Magic" certainly indicate certain interesting facets to his background. Going to be see where they take the story next.

I believe there was a statement that Aionus was developed, at least in part, to celebrate Wyrd's anniversary. I dunno if they're going to give him any more of a backstory than, say, Bete Noire, where it's "there are things beyond anyone's ken in Malifaux". I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though!

...or kill the old guy (who isn't all that super tough, really).

He seems reasonably tough to me, above average Df and Wp coupled with high wounds, plus damage reduction for Ca attacks. That is before you consider access to Soul Stones as well. I dont see him falling quite so easily even to some of the melee monsters in the game. I think his biggest balancing point is his cost.

You also have to consider that, rather than Aionus, you could have just brought 4 more Bayou Gremlins. Which is 8 more AP without Reckless and 12 more AP with it, and you don't have to ditch any cards. And you'd have 1 stone still left over.

Aionus is cool with Gremlin spam. But he doesn't bring much to it that... more Gremlin spam wouldn't have brought anyway.

Dont know if I agree fully with this, Aionus provides some nifty omph for the faction. His high cost might just be offset enough by a heavy summon factory build as well. Additionally, dumping a card to gain Fast might be a large deterrent in other factions, a Som'er gremlin crew isn't as hampered by that due to the low cost of the benefiting  models and the ability to draw extra cards easily. Aionus mechanic opens up the Bayou Gremlin potential quite a bit. I think the biggest limiting factor is Som'er's card manipulation desires more than anything else.

I am just glad Aionus can't be used to push the Pigapult for another Bacon Barrage, Sparks still has a place.

...or kill the old guy (who isn't all that super tough, really).

He seems reasonably tough to me, above average Df and Wp coupled with high wounds, plus damage reduction for Ca attacks. That is before you consider access to Soul Stones as well. I dont see him falling quite so easily even to some of the melee monsters in the game. I think his biggest balancing point is his cost.

Dont know if I agree fully with this, Aionus provides some nifty omph for the faction. His high cost might just be offset enough by a heavy summon factory build as well. Additionally, dumping a card to gain Fast might be a large deterrent in other factions, a Som'er gremlin crew isn't as hampered by that due to the low cost of the benefiting  models and the ability to draw extra cards easily. Aionus mechanic opens up the Bayou Gremlin potential quite a bit. I think the biggest limiting factor is Som'er's card manipulation desires more than anything else.

I am just glad Aionus can't be used to push the Pigapult for another Bacon Barrage, Sparks still has a place.

Sure, sure. He's a good model and a good general mercenary choice. I just don't think he's broken.*

*Which is rather stating the obvious as otherwise I wouldn't have let him out in the wild like that.

Edited by Justin
  • Like 3

So official release of the stat card in the next Chronicles, then?

The cards shown in the preview currently has these inconvenient grey words written across them.

Well, true... But really, those are the official rules, and this is readily available to any internet person, and so if you want to use it... I think it'd be silly to not use them if you wanted to out of some obligation to a calendar date. That's my opinion, yours may vary of course.

Would you consider Morris Day and the Time instead for inspiration instead? the-time-jungle-love-1364286288.jpg?itok

This is great, perhaps I can add him to my Pimp Named Levi crew that I have been toying with.

Sure, sure. He's a good model and a good general mercenary choice. I just don't think he's broken.*

Definitely dont think he is broken with Som'er Gremlin Spam, more pointing out that he brings a lot more to the table in that build than 4 Bayou Gremlin's would. Especially against some otherwise tough match ups.

Edited by Omenbringer
  • Like 1