Replicating abilities from the minis game

PeteTSM

I was hoping to get people's thoughts on how to replicate useful non-magical abilities from the minis game.  For instance, one of my players wants to have the Retreat to Cover ability from the Freikorps Trapper.

(0) Retreat to Cover: Discard a card to push this model up to 4" in any direction. This Action may only be taken while this model is engaged. 

Now obviously I would not give carte blanche to copy any ability in the minis game, as some would be horrifically OP, but I feel like this one and some others are reasonable to allow.  Are there any "official" rules on how a Fated can gain a non-magical ability like this?  At this point, I'm just allowing them to take such an ability when they normally would gain a manifested power, subject to FM discretion, of course.  Or do you think this would be better to take up a General Talent slot?

I was going to use some abilities like that in our next game.
I play some table top Malifaux  but I don't know that many powers that one can use as Manifested Powers, any suggestions?
The only one I stumbled upon so far is Cojo's Loping Charge.

Loping Charge: When this model takes a Charge action it may make a single 2 AP MI Attack Action instead of two 1 AP MI Attack Actions.

• Like 1

I was going to use some abilities like that in our next game.
I play some table top Malifaux  but I don't know that many powers that one can use as Manifested Powers, any suggestions?
The only one I stumbled upon so far is Cojo's Loping Charge.

Loping Charge: When this model takes a Charge action it may make a single 2 AP MI Attack Action instead of two 1 AP MI Attack Actions.

One thing I'd say when talking about giving a character a new manifested power, the best thing to consider is "Why would the character have this power"

Loping charge (while it sounds to me more like it could be doctored in as a talent rather than a manifested power), for example, mechanically shows that the character is more likely to try and channel the charge into one big hit, it would be emblematic for a character who would rather hit hard once than more precisely twice. More than likely, a character using this would be the brawn-over-brains type, the brick wall that would want to charge through rather than at

otherwise, if you'd want to give a character a manifested power, my first word of advice would be looking at the character you'd want to give the power to!

Think about what they do and specialize in, and then look at the game for models that have a similar purpose or function to the fated to see where they might go! say the fated is a gunslinger, do they wield a rifle? are they precise like Hans, or maybe evasive like a trapper or Nino? if they wield pistols, are they focused like a Latigo, or wild and reckless like a Lacroix? perhaps even bold and daring like German hulk hogan Von Schil? Bows? Are they focused Kyudo archers like the thunder archers, or fast, practiced shots like Ulix? or maybe they wield heavy guns like a samurai... or like Fuhatsu

if they're melee, you have plenty of points of reference, Precise fighters like Santiago or The Lone Swordsman, big angry brutes like Izamu or Killjoy (or Cojo like in your example) Or somewhere in between, like perhaps the Juggernaut fighting style of Toni "I'm sitting on the turf war marker, tell me othewise" Ironsides, or maybe they fight like a pinball, bouncing between targets like Ma Tucket or Misaki?

As far as magic the world is your oyster, basically anything with Ca in it is ripe and succulent with potential conversion, for non casters as well! even in the case of mostly melee characters, do they have a dark secret? perhaps their prowess comes from a strange source, or they're ready to unlock the next stage in their martial development, and everything that comes with it

Even social characters do have some easily extractable tricks from the main game, Lynch's crew has plenty, same with Lucius, but this is one place that I'd suggest going into more homebrewed content, what's the one thing they could do if their very will was made manifest by Malifuax? 

I really hope this helped, and if you'd still have questions, I'd be happy to do my best to try and help you out!

• Like 1

Wow, long answer, but good ;)

I have been looking for a good manifested power to my Scrapper. He is an Irish Priest wielding a old Celtic axe,  he's about 45 years old and a bitter drunk that holds the group moral together with sluggish praying and a lot of intimidation of Hell and Damnation.

I have been thinking of using the new spell from Into the Steam that grants a positive flip for one turn but extending it to a day. The idea will be that he gives the communion to a group and in that way gives them the blessing of a positive flip. I will use the Immuto that increases duration a few steps and then the focus object for the wine and cookie, I will also add 1 extra AP (but in game it will take more then 2 AP to preform the action, I was thinking about 30min or even longer if there is many partaking.) But I thought of a catch to, because I will use Convince and Tenacity, if a character that partakes without believing in Christ she won't benefit from the blessing. (What about if they lie? Jesus don't believe in bullshit, won't work ;) )