Who First?

Rx4Insanity

Pandora is a solid choice as you can cheaply build a solid crew by simply buying a teddy and another box of sorrows. That and her box offers a great amount of depth. That or Collodi because he's super fun to play and offers a vast amount of crew building options with his ability to hire all the puppets ever!!!

Maybe check what the local gamers play and go for an under-represented neverborn master. This way you will provide a nice balance and change to the local gaming meta as well as throw a few people off by having to adapt to new sneaky neverborn tactics. 

• Like 1

Pandora is great and getting a Teddy is cool too, but I don't see any merit in buying another box of sorrows.  3 is enough unless you are doing something odd and I would recommend against being 'clever' when starting out :-D

What I would recommend most is getting both the Pandora box and either the Lilith one or the Lynch one too.  You can still concentrate on Pandora, but the models in the other 2 boxes contain some staple minions you are likely to play often enough (tots being GREAT runners and the illuminated being solid-hard-to-kill beaters).

After that, you can kind of go in any direction you want.  Collodi and Dreamer both require a lot of different models outside of their box sets and if you want them all in plastic you might be out of luck at the moment.

Zoraida is very cool, but I think some other faction minions help you "unlock" her more and that means diversifying a lot when starting out.  More or less the same with Lucius too.  Although Zoraida has some great mega-useful models in her box to in her Silirids and Bad Juju is no joke either.

So, I think the Pandi, Lilith and Lynch boxes are the best way to start out in neverborn (even if Lynch is 10T too ;-))

I like Pandora and Lilith to learn the faction because they are so crew independent. I find that with neverborn you really want to get good at using a few key models, namely: Doppelganger, Silurid, Waldgeist, Illuminated, Nekima,Primordial Magic and a cheap scheme runner (Insidious madness, terror tot or gupps). 

If these were the only models you were good at using besides your master you could do really well so that's where I'd start.

Even Collodi and Dreamer which are the two more specialized masters in the faction play perfectly well around this core of models with minor additions. 

If you're coming from other miniature games the main learning curve beyond understanding the basic rules of the game is learning to prioritize scoring victory points from schemes and strategies rather than just beating up your opponent. 

Best of luck!

Someone should probably mention that it's usually advisable to pick up crew boxes for the minions they contain. It might feel like you're buying models you don't need but there are models in the crew box that can't be bought separately so if you want them further down the line (which is quite common) then you'll end up with 6 of the minion.

• Like 3

The above point is well made. That's why the Lynch box is so useful. You can'y buy illuminated separately at the moment where as you can pick up the majority of the other minions as packs of 3. The illumionated are some of the best minons in the game and you'll find you use them more often than not in any scheme or strat.

I too recommend Jacob. 

Partly for the illuminated, they're important and not sold separately. But also because he's ultra diverse. All other masters have their schticks. Jacobs is cards. He can support a wide variety of crews because his input is making sure you always have more/better cards than your opponent, allowing you to play whatever models or styles you like. Whereas masters like Pandora, while boss, have a very particular play style. Heck, dreamer is raved about because he has a whopping 2.

Also,buy doppelganger. Don't question it. Buy it, thank me later. Runs in everything forever. The ultra busted model of the faction. 

Also,buy doppelganger. Don't question it. Buy it, thank me later. Runs in everything forever. The ultra busted model of the faction. 

I second this. She will fill whatever role you need filled. A personal favorite tactic of mine with her is if plant explosives is in the pool, to take her an a Tot, and have her sprint into a melee to drop your scheme maker and get 3 easy VP.

Or, with good positioning, sprint and claim a squatters rights marker. 

There's always stuff to copy on both sides. 

I once won semi finals in a tournament by sprinting to the other end of the board, then next turn copying an opposing willies shot 3 times and wiping out Willie and a nearby performer. 

Obviously that wasn't what got me the vp, but it was the turning point.