November 16th - Black Friday

Lucidicide

This time around the exculsives are available in an order that aligns with my desire to own them.  In the past this has not always been the case.

How do I feel about this?  It depends honestly.  I feel better about these, being alternatives to models that are already available.  I'd be more annoyed if they were alts of something that didn't otherwise exist yet. I actually don't mind Alt McMourning's high bar, as she's a very special alt overall and a good top tier reward.  Barbaros is slightly more frustrating (if I wanted him) as he's very much on Francisco or the FIrestarter's level.

So, I guess it is what it is.  I'm happy this time; I respect others are not.  A different system might work, but ultimately, these exist to get people to buy more than they would otherwise, so when I've not been happy about the tiers in the past, I try to keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Yeah, biggest advantage is that it's capable of substantial undercuts and is relatively cheap (so often is good for big models or small companies).

Disadvantages include shrinkage (so sculptors need to use a different style or things look like stick people, and larger models can collapse slightly), edges get softer (bad for inorganic things) and mold lines that are traditionally both huge and a pain to clean, since most cutting/filing abrades them unless you have really sharp tools.

• Like 4

Demanding easier access to FREE limited edition bonuses they hand out with purchase, though, seems like it's asking too much. Compare this to the other big mini companies.  PP's big holiday special is usually "Get a free mini rulebook with a $200 purchase."  GW gives you a free $15 model with $500 purchase.  They're already leading the industy in their holiday specials. 

I don't feel that comparing Wyrd to their competitors is a very fair or accurate way of interpreting these "special sales", if you will.  Essentially, it's the "apples vs oranges" example.  If a person exclusively enjoys only eating oranges, and wants to acquire the best tasting ones in the market, his primary and only concern for getting said oranges should be exclusively centered around how oranges are marketed and sold.  Whatever happens in the apple market shouldn't be any of his concern, since they're independently sold from one another, and are, in every essence, a different kind of fruit.

And as far as the "Demanding" of easier access to free bonuses go, they're only free because Wyrd decided that they would be.  They could've just as easily decided to make these "Direct to sale" models, but elected not to.  From a business stand point, the decision to do so makes logical sense, but from the perspective of the long time gamer, it's a disappointment. 

Just trying to be impartial.

• Like 7

Are there pics somewhere of the Kaeris and Lynch boxes in their wacky colors?  I'd like to see them before I decide if/which one I'm going to purchase.

Edited to add that I seriously love that Dufresne model even though I don't play Rezzers.  Unfortunately, $300 is out of my league.

I, too, would like to know if I must have these in translucent or dayglow!  I would love to see them so I can decide!  So excited for these!

*Looks at list of releases.*

*Raises an eyebrow and smiles when reading about the guild hounds.*

*Re-reads list, turns over the list, shakes list."

*Mutters something about Whitchling handlers*

The biggest surprise is that my bank account will not turn into a black hole.  :)

/C 

Witchling Handlers not being on the list surprises me as the rest of the February releases are. Were they accidentally left off? Models not ready yet? Really would like a set, but I guess I can keep proxying until February comes around.

There have been other runs of colored plastic, such as those featured at last year's Black Friday sale.

Recap of 2014 Black Friday:  http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.com/2014/11/wyrd-games-black-friday-sale.html

1.  Then don't spend the money.  None of these peices, except Aionus, are anything but vanity peices.  You don't *need* them to compete.  Take a look at last year's black friday sale.  Within a month the alt bette noir was on ebay for $30.  

In RE: Tournament situation
If you don't have tournaments in your area, you still have options.  You can help build a local scene, helping out your local store and introducing more people to the game.  You could play in vassal tournaments.  You could become a henchman, run demos and maybe earn one as a reward.  

If you don't like tournaments, then head to the secondary market.  If I don't want to compete for a prize I don't complain that I don't get one anyway.  

Now, in case I've come across too harsh, I'd like to say that my original comment was intended as "I can't believe people are surprised and outraged because Wyrd's running a similar promotion for the third year in a row."  This post is intended to discuss how different avenues exist for you to get these peices in the future and how I feel you  shouldn't worry about availability.  

There's my wall of text.  Thanks for reading.

Hope I'm not butting in, but here's how I feel...

1. I agree that you don't need these models to compete (though Barbaros... hum..), but not everything is about competition. I'm truly disappointed that I won't be able to get Dr Dufresne as I really like that model and McMourning not too much. I was even contemplating being unfaithful to Arcanists and go "dark"... So you're right, I won't spend my money, but it's a shame for myself and the company... Perhaps, I'll find her at a reasonable price on the secondary market, but that eventuality has no garanties

The tournament situation in Europe is not even comparable to the USA, not even a little... The rules have not yet come out in the different languages (but the will soon!!!) thus fewer players, much more difficult to get people into the game because of the language barrier, consequently, not many tournaments... Add to that the fact that not a lot of stores carry Malifaux and the few that do, don't always carry a lot of choice (in my case I have bought from 2 French stores, 1 Spanish and 2 English just to get 2 crew boxes, 2 decks, the rulebook). The secondary market isn't that great either for Europeans, because most of the Malifaux products come from the States, and seeing some charge over $30 for shipping a miniature is just ridiculous (and I have seen this on too many occasions for it to be a rarity)

Now, I am very hopeful that the situation in Europe will change in 2016 and everyone will be playing Malifaux. And this is not at all a critique on Wyrd, heck they are giving out free stuff. But, I am a bit sad about Dr Dufresne; I found she had a certain "je ne sais quoi", but not a "quoi" worth $300. Oh well, perhaps another time...

Edited by Babayagob
too long
  • Like 6

There have been other runs of colored plastic, such as those featured at last year's Black Friday sale.

Recap of 2014 Black Friday:  http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.com/2014/11/wyrd-games-black-friday-sale.html

Oh okay. Thanks.

And to avoid being a complete yes man I will say there were a few things I was hoping to see that weren't there:

Transluscent Datsue Ba & Seishin, to match the Kirai box
Transluscent Firestarter, to match the new Kaeris box

my translucent kirai crew is going to look so weird with half the seishin and the Henchman not being translucent. ....; o ;

1.  Then don't spend the money.  None of these peices, except Aionus, are anything but vanity peices.  You don't *need* them to compete.  Take a look at last year's black friday sale.  Within a month the alt bette noir was on ebay for $30.  

In RE: Tournament situation
If you don't have tournaments in your area, you still have options.  You can help build a local scene, helping out your local store and introducing more people to the game.  You could play in vassal tournaments.  You could become a henchman, run demos and maybe earn one as a reward.  

If you don't like tournaments, then head to the secondary market.  If I don't want to compete for a prize I don't complain that I don't get one anyway.  

Now, in case I've come across too harsh, I'd like to say that my original comment was intended as "I can't believe people are surprised and outraged because Wyrd's running a similar promotion for the third year in a row."  This post is intended to discuss how different avenues exist for you to get these peices in the future and how I feel you  shouldn't worry about availability.  

There's my wall of text.  Thanks for reading.

Hope I'm not butting in, but here's how I feel...

1. I agree that you don't need these models to compete (though Barbaros... hum..), but not everything is about competition. I'm truly disappointed that I won't be able to get Dr Dufresne as I really like that model and McMourning not too much. I was even contemplating being unfaithful to Arcanists and go "dark"... So you're right, I won't spend my money, but it's a shame for myself and the company... Perhaps, I'll find her at a reasonable price on the secondary market, but that eventuality has no garanties

The tournament situation in Europe is not even comparable to the USA, not even a little... The rules have not yet come out in the different languages (but the will soon!!!) thus fewer players, much more difficult to get people into the game because of the language barrier, consequently, not many tournaments... Add to that the fact that not a lot of stores carry Malifaux and the few that do, don't always carry a lot of choice (in my case I have bought from 2 French stores, 1 Spanish and 2 English just to get 2 crew boxes, 2 decks, the rulebook). The secondary market isn't that great either for Europeans, because most of the Malifaux products come from the States, and seeing some charge over $30 for shipping a miniature is just ridiculous (and I have seen this on too many occasions for it to be a rarity)

Now, I am very hopeful that the situation in Europe will change in 2016 and everyone will be playing Malifaux. And this is not at all a critique on Wyrd, heck they are giving out free stuff. But, I am a bit sad about Dr Dufresne; I found she had a certain "je ne sais quoi", but not a "quoi" worth $300. Oh well, perhaps another time...

I honestly didn't realize the European situation was so rough. I'd seen the strong U.K. Following, plus the seemingly large amount of Scandinavian posters, and assumed that things were in a better way.

Aionus as PVC made me grimace a bit - absolute worst material for miniatures - unless its something huge like the Reaper Krakken or Old God, then its justifiable.

Otherwise - the sale is good enough for me. I intentionally held out on buying a bunch of stuff I wanted at Gen Con - only buying the really important stuff - knowing that this sale was coming. Otherwise, I might be griping about the price points too - but I've got a list of stuff I want that would push me well over 300$. :D 

Shitty deals for those who don't, though. Can't wait for Barbaros.

• Like 1

As constructive critique is always better than just complaining: Make the LE models 30 dollar, and cut 10 dollars off for every 100 dollars purchased aside from them. Still rewards big spenders, but gives veterans and incentive to purchase something as well. Just an idea.

+1 to this idea.  As someone who looks to enjoy playing Malifaux on the long term, I hope that Wyrd would employ these practices with marketing incentives in the future.

• Like 5

*Looks at list of releases.*

*Raises an eyebrow and smiles when reading about the guild hounds.*

*Re-reads list, turns over the list, shakes list."

*Mutters something about Whitchling handlers*

The biggest surprise is that my bank account will not turn into a black hole.  :)

/C 

Witchling Handlers not being on the list surprises me as the rest of the February releases are. Were they accidentally left off? Models not ready yet? Really would like a set, but I guess I can keep proxying until February comes around.

Hadn't seen February releases yet.  Any place in particular they've been listed?