November 16th - Black Friday

Lucidicide

Personally, the only thing that bugs me about the limited models is ebay scalpers taking advantage of people who can't afford to make giant orders, but want an individual jazzy model.  Particularly as these are the same people buying up the nightmare and transluscent crews to make more profit - this is what gets my goat and it takes a bit of something out of the hobby for me.

Fortunately, I have a bunch of friends willing to split and order with me, so we will all get what we want. However, this isn't the case for everyone, particularly for folks living outside of the US (where just getting standard releases on time seems like a rare occurance).

Apologies if this comes across as a rant, it really isn't ment to.  I LOVE Wyrd, Malifaux and TTB have thoroughly captured my heart and I'm always excited to see what's coming next - but special sales like this are a bit of a mixed bag of emotion for me and I can see why other people feel the same way.  Perhaps it would be nice to allow people to pick which freebie they get at different order levels?  It seemed like a pretty even split of people preferring the different models, and it would allow people to get the things they really like, keep ebay scalpers guessing (as in theory there should be no 'super rares') and make the prospect of dropping a lot of money in one go on a direct (nonLGS, possibly international) order a bit more palatable.

Just my 2 pence.

I don't resell models usually (I'm a hoarder of models!), but it seems to me that if someone wants to sell a thing that they own, and someone else wants to buy a thing for the price offered, then that's on them.

Apologies. I'm not having a cracking at folks who sell things on ebay. I just feel that some people might take advantage of the  'limited' tag to overprice these sorts of things.  I really am sorry if I offended anyone. I'll keep my beak out from here.

Oh, no offense taken! It's more "spirited debate" than I THINK YOU'RE THE WRONGEST WRONG WHO EVER WRONGED A WRONG. It's a different opinion, and I see where you're coming from, I just disagree.

Feels a little venomous, sir.  I'm going to continue in the hopes of having some discussion and assuming that it wasn't the intention to be so harsh.
[...]

Now, in case I've come across too harsh, I'd like to say that my original comment was intended as "I can't believe people are surprised and outraged because Wyrd's running a similar promotion for the third year in a row."  This post is intended to discuss how different avenues exist for you to get these peices in the future and how I feel you  shouldn't worry about availability.  

There's my wall of text.  Thanks for reading.

I never said that I want the models for free. I said I wanted to pay for them, directly. This sale model didn't surprise me, I just don't like it. I'm giving feedback in that regard, so it can change for the better, or whatever I see as better.

As constructive critique is always better than just complaining: Make the LE models 30 dollar, and cut 10 dollars off for every 100 dollars purchased aside from them. Still rewards big spenders, but gives veterans and incentive to purchase something as well. Just an idea.

Your post got me on the wrong foot, as I felt it implied that I was just whining about the stuff I want for free. I'm not. I'm giving honest feedback that the sale in this current form holds no interest to me whatsoever, and the agreement my response gathered implies that a lot of the veteran players feel similarly. It is feedback I thought about, and I'm not complaining in the slightest about free models. I'm complaining about a wasted chance to make the 1E player base very happy. That you don't have that issue is great for you, but please don't imply that this view should hold true for everyone. That's what I understood from your first post (even if that wasn't the intention) and it riled me a bit. I apologize if I stepped on your toes.

Yeah, getting models any other way than the secondary market won't be possible for me. I detest tournaments, even if there were any in my area. I already built a meta, it just feels the same way. There is no LGS in my area, so I cannot become a Henchman even if I wanted to.

My point is: This sale isn't surprising, but I had still hoped that Wyrd would make some different decisions to canter to their player base. It's a good sale for players who still want to buy large amount of models, though, and I'm glad for them. If that leads to a steady income for Wyrd, good for them too. Veteran players are a hassle, I suppose, always complaining but not buying very much. ;)

Please accept my apology for budding in, but this post really rubs me the wrong way... 

What is wrong with this sale? They are offering products that AREN'T EVEN AVAILABLE, with a little added incentive to spend more money with them and support a company that does a GREAT job at keeping up with their player base and responding to comments, questions and concerns. 

The fact that you're unable to enjoy the $150-$300 incentive, isn't Wyrd's problem. You still have early access to models that wont be available to you or another 2-3 months. This isn't disappointing, this is awesome. You'll still be able to buy your models, just check Ebay or Amazon. Bashing their process is not a way to find change. Especially when I feel you're in the minority. 

I'm very happy with this sale, and will be spending $150, not because I need much of anything on that list, but because I want to support this company. The Firestarter Alternate model is gorgeous, so why not? I'll end up donating some of the stuff I get, to people who I'm trying to convince to play the game. 

Edited by Spike0738

Since the list has gone up, you are able to buy the old limited edition sculpts this year (as you could last year) so if you really want Barbaros, and don't want to spend $300 this year, you'll possibly be able to get it next year for $25

Yeah I'm debating if that is a good risk or not. While I really want some of the LE alt models, waiting next year means I pay probably $100ish for 4 models as opposed to $300 for a bunch of models and 4 limited ones. Granted the Canadian economy might be better next year making that a pretty huge savings. Of course it isn't guaranteed there will be the models next year. I know a lot of the older limited edition were actually limited and you can't get them anymore (love my egg hauler model :D), but a lot of the newest ones don't seem to have that issue. 

:| 

Edited by wizuriel
  • Like 1

As an addendum to the above post, Wyrd also does a good job of using organized play to get additional LE's into circulation. 

For the record this is a very, very new thing for Wyrd. Up until recently (outside of one of the cons they attend) their organized play was heavily tied to the individual Henchman coordinating the event and prize support was what ever they could come up with. Henchman having access to LE models and official prize support is only a few weeks old.

Wyrd does a lot of things well but Organized play was not one of them until this year. I am glad to see a lot of the changes that have occurred in the Henchman program in the last few weeks and hope that they will help the communities grow again.

Since the list has gone up, you are able to buy the old limited edition sculpts this year (as you could last year) so if you really want Barbaros, and don't want to spend $300 this year, you'll possibly be able to get it next year for $25

I am very hopeful that this will be the case. I am also hope that the company has taken notice of the discussion and will utilize a bit more thought in how they package models (several examples that could be utilized to demonstrate this point) and/or offer them as purchase incentives in the future (perhaps the price reduction scheme that was mentioned earlier in the thread).

Again I am a fan of Wyrd, otherwise I wouldn't have stuck around this long (in my 6th year) supporting the games growth (building communities and retailer support) or spent as much as I do on their products (including their non-Malifaux lines which I also promote). This doesn't mean I blindly or quietly accept everything they do as golden or perfect. They will and have made plenty of mistakes along the way, one thing they have been fairly good about (for the most part) is correcting those mistakes in time. Allowing yourself to only hear the yes men that surround you prevents the input that keeps you competitive in this small niche market.

• Like 3

As an addendum to the above post, Wyrd also does a good job of using organized play to get additional LE's into circulation. 

For the record this is a very, very new thing for Wyrd. Up until recently (outside of one of the cons they attend) their organized play was heavily tied to the individual Henchman coordinating the event and prize support was what ever they could come up with. Henchman having access to LE models and official prize support is only a few weeks old.

Wyrd does a lot of things well but Organized play was not one of them until this year. I am glad to see a lot of the changes that have occurred in the Henchman program in the last few weeks and hope that they will help the communities grow again.

Our local area is blessed with Henchmen, so perhaps our situation of being inundated with Miss Errys, Miss Steps, Hanging Trees, etc may vary from yours. Our henches are fairly active and used their SS to make a huge prize pool. I'm glad it's more formally spelled out now.

This is not so much about the BF sale any more, but if some one wants an explanation, I feel inclined to give one.

I politely disagree with a few of your points, Spike0738:

support a company that does a GREAT job at keeping up with their player base and responding to comments, questions and concerns.

Wyrd isn't "GREAT" at responding to concerns. They are better than many, but they in no way are "GREAT". You are free to disagree with me there, but I have made a few experiences with had me disillusioned with the pipe dream that they are somehow perfect in their treatment of their customers.

What is wrong with this sale? They are offering products that AREN'T EVEN AVAILABLE

Yes. And? Why should I buy it early, especially if I have the metals already.

This isn't disappointing, this is awesome. You'll still be able to buy your models, just check Ebay or Amazon. Bashing their process is not a way to find change.

Disappointing is that they don't offer anything for people who have their old line. In the beginning, I just remarked about my disappointment with that. I said why I would like another sale model better. What would you propose to "find change"?

Especially when I feel you're in the minority.

What does that have to do with anything? Yes, probably, Wyrd will find their audience with this sale. People who like their product in general but find nothing worthwhile in this sale might be a minority, but isn't it still worth to be heard?

The fact that you're unable to enjoy the $150-$300 incentive, isn't Wyrd's problem.

True. The fact they I'd like to spend about 50 $ but there is no incentive to do so might be one, though. Hence, my feedback.

I'm very happy with this sale, and will be spending $150, not because I need much of anything on that list, but because I want to support this company. The Firestarter Alternate model is gorgeous, so why not? I'll end up donating some of the stuff I get, to people who I'm trying to convince to play the game. 

Sadly, Wyrd's "GREAT" way to treat their customers has killed all interest in my meta to play their game. As I absolutely love their game, this is especially sad to me... but I don't think I'd be the right way to convince people to start again with gifting models to them. It's not their product that has put them off.

Please accept my apology for budding in, but this post really rubs me the wrong way... 

What is wrong with this sale?

Once again: I don't begrudge anyone if they like this sale model. I've purchased a lot during the one's before, and I was always happy to do so. This sale, however, has nothing that invites me to spend money on. I came here to say so, and as constructive critique, I gave my opinion how they could change that.

Since then, I have to explain myself, not to Wyrd, but to people who somehow have a problem with me saying that the sale doesn't offer anything to me. So, once again: If you are the target audience for this sale, good for you. That's great. Please accept that other people don't share that opinion. It's not offensive to you, not offensive to Wyrd, not a slight on anyone's reputation. The sale doesn't offer me anything, and the LE minis are not an incentive to me. They would be if I could pay for them. I am disappointed by that, and I hope you can accept that, as much as I can accept that you disagree. If we can agree on that, we don't have to argue on whether this sale is "awesome" any more.

• Like 7

All I will add to Dirial's post above is that there were large communities before M2e, along with a substantial product line in metal prior to the all plastic re-do, and a history that began many years before M2e. Wyrd should definitely be catering to new players such as yourself Spike0738, but not at the expense of the old players that have contributed to their success along the way. The gaming community has abnormally long memories after all.

You may view this as condescension (which is not the intent at all), or whining (also not the intent), or entitlement (again not the intent), but with out people voicing counter opinions and discussing issues, Malifaux would still have things like the infinite Red Joker draw for Som'er Teeth, the infinite Skeeter activation, or any of the other issues that have been addressed because someone chose to voice a complaint on the forums.

Our local area is blessed with Henchmen, so perhaps our situation of being inundated with Miss Errys, Miss Steps, Hanging Trees, etc may vary from yours. Our henches are fairly active and used their SS to make a huge prize pool. I'm glad it's more formally spelled out now.

This is definitely not the norm from what I have seen around the country. Running events isn't easy, it is work; and the compensation isn't so great that a lot of Henchman are willing to spend it on prize support for those events. Great to hear that you have a group that is willing to do this but I know plenty of Henchman that aren't. And again, Henchman having access to these limited edition models is a fairly recent thing, especially for those that don't have ins with the company staff.

• Like 4

I seriously don't understand this thing that is highly visible on these forums. If another forum member speaks out some issues he/she has, or gives a very constructive critique the other members of the forums get offended and run to defend wyrd. I reckon wyrd doesn't need you to defend them. In fact have asked you not to do that. Still it happens constantly. 

Negative feedback is feedback nonetheless and can be more valuable than the endless tide of awesome great best ever posts. While positive feedback is of course good the fact that they sell well is feedback enough they are doing well. The negative feedback is people saying there would be a way to get even more money if things were different.

• Like 4

<MOD HAT>

Can we keep this thread on the topic of the Black Friday sale please.  

We seem to be wandering off into a general discussion of people's history / communities and Wyrd's past business decisions,  If you want to discuss those things please start another thread(s) elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks.

</MOD HAT>

• Like 2

god dammit, twenty minutes in and the coryphees were already gone :(

Have you checked again?  Both regular and nightmare are in stock this morning.

http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/products/nightmare-edition-dark-carnival-coryphee

http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/arcanists/products/coryphee

Edited by solkan

Have you checked again?  Both regular and nightmare are in stock this morning.

That seems to be the case.

When I checked out yesterday, I was told they weren't available and they were removed from my cart.

Is there a way to change an order after checkout and payment?

Read through this thread:  http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/113624-black-friday-webstore/?page=2