Denying Power Ritual with Nino

Hagisman

So I was playing around with a simple combo for denying Power Ritual. What do you guys think?

• Standard Deployment, Nino and Pistolero are placed in each corner.
  • Nino can draw LoS to Pisolero to activate his Spotter Ability.

I'm definitely not :+fate that this is a solid plan, but I think it could hinder my opponent as they will have to deal with Nino. Currently I wish there was another Long Range Family member to help keep hold of that corner, but right now there isn't that I could find.

It will slow down the scheme runners, but they could just kill Nino or the pistolero and still get it. Its probably best as an unexpected thing. Once someone knows it, they will either not bother with power ritual, or plan to take out the issue. 

Also, not all boards have LOS from one corner to the other

My best wat of denying Power Ritual is derived from Conan

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES

SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU

AND HEAR THE LAMENTATION OF THEIR WOMEN

And on a more serious note you leave 5SS behind (and Nino if he doesn`t have great LoS) which might mean they don`t score power ritual, but you might lose the rest.

Nino is not that hard to kill, and having LoS from corner to corner is really board specific.... but when it works, great. The Pistolero would be somewhat wasted, though.

Making use of Spotter usually means I'm playing Squatter's Rights or Deliver a Message is in the pool.

Nino is not that hard to kill, and having LoS from corner to corner is really board specific.... but when it works, great. The Pistolero would be somewhat wasted, though.

Making use of Spotter usually means I'm playing Squatter's Rights or Deliver a Message is in the pool.

Yeah, the Pistolero was the lowest soulstone model I could think to use. Very situational I agree, but typically I don't see many boards that have cover near the edges.

I could see with Reconnoiter on Corner or Flank deployment having 2 pistoleros and throwing them into the corners while Nino holds back in the deployment zone. But again it all depends on the board.

I could see this being a puzzle for people to solve, but honestly any time my opponent declares Guild and there are interact heavy schemes and strats I make sure I have a plan for what I will do if I see Nino across the table. I think it usually only takes one game of him completely hamstringing you for people to do the same. ;) So unless you are playing against someone who has never seen this trick before I wouldn't expect it to cause them too much trouble; if they decide to take Power Ritual it will be because they have a plan to deal with Nino.

Nino made me realize the importance of defining every bit of terrain on the table. It was Squatter's Rights, along with some Interact heavy schemes, and my opponent deployed Nino on the chimney of a building with a pitched roof. We had declared that models could not stand on the roofs, but neglected to define the chimneys. The only ranged attack I had was Lilith's Wicked Vines. It was not a fun game and, subsequently, all of those chimneys were removed. 

Nino made me realize the importance of defining every bit of terrain on the table. It was Squatter's Rights, along with some Interact heavy schemes, and my opponent deployed Nino on the chimney of a building with a pitched roof. We had declared that models could not stand on the roofs, but neglected to define the chimneys. The only ranged attack I had was Lilith's Wicked Vines. It was not a fun game, and subsequently, all of those chimneys were removed. 

sniper nests are not fun in Malifaux. See the current discussion of it in the rules section of the forum.

I've done it a few times but most of the time there is some version of lure on the table. 

That really was a dick move by your opponent Definitechoice, hopefully that sort of thing has happened for the last time in your games. Shame you didn't have anything to Lure Nino off :P If a model cannot get to the location in question by moving in a reasonable timeframe or only by Flight/Incorporeal/placement effects then it's just sensible game design for it to be off limits. Of course, you could always design a board to have those areas that can only be reached by special means, but for regular play it's clutching at straws by a poor sportsman.

@Chumbalaya: Nino's Spotter ability only requires LoS to a Family member to work, it's not about putting damage on models but rather stopping them from Interacting altogether.

@Chumbalaya: Nino's Spotter ability only requires LoS to a Family member to work, it's not about putting damage on models but rather stopping them from Interacting altogether.

It doesn't require LoS to a friendly Family model. It only requires LoS to the enemy model.

• Like 1

It doesn't require LoS to a friendly Family model. It only requires LoS to the enemy model.

Whoops, thanks Myyra. Sorry for any confusion.

Edit: That does mean that careful movement from your opponent could see them put a 30mm Ht 1 or 2 model directly behind the Pistolero from Nino, freeing them from his Spotter ability.

Edited by ArcticPangolin

Edit: That does mean that careful movement from your opponent could see them put a 30mm Ht 1 or 2 model directly behind the Pistolero from Nino, freeing them from his Spotter ability.

Shouldn't even require that careful movement, just declaration of intent. Also, Nino is about as tough as a terror tot, and I don't mean that in a good way. ;) 

Nino made me realize the importance of defining every bit of terrain on the table. It was Squatter's Rights, along with some Interact heavy schemes, and my opponent deployed Nino on the chimney of a building with a pitched roof. We had declared that models could not stand on the roofs, but neglected to define the chimneys. The only ranged attack I had was Lilith's Wicked Vines. It was not a fun game and, subsequently, all of those chimneys were removed. 

Serms like a massive dick move from your opponent. Also note that if something isn't defined as actually being open terrain it isn't so if you didn't mention the chimney before the game your opponent couldn't claim that they were so by default. In fact they should most likely be clumped up with the roof unless you specifically made them into their own terrain features...

Shouldn't even require that careful movement, just declaration of intent. Also, Nino is about as tough as a terror tot, and I don't mean that in a good way. ;) 

This is why it is a good idea to try and place Nino on a vantage point, no matter how useless otherwise.

I get that.  I was suggesting to marry in a Freikorps Trapper so you won't have your other corner hugger sitting around with his thumb in his butt:P

I get that.  I was suggesting to marry in a Freikorps Trapper so you won't have your other corner hugger sitting around with his thumb in his butt:P

I don't know if I would dedicate 7ss+7ss+5ss worth of models to guard for power ritual.

Then again Trapper has the range. Too bad only Abuela can make him a family member and again its only temporary.

I don't know if I would dedicate 7ss+7ss+5ss worth of models to guard for power ritual.

Then again Trapper has the range. Too bad only Abuela can make him a family member and again its only temporary.

I think "rest of the game" should be permanent enough? Or would you like it transferred between games? ;) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nino made me realize the importance of defining every bit of terrain on the table. It was Squatter's Rights, along with some Interact heavy schemes, and my opponent deployed Nino on the chimney of a building with a pitched roof. We had declared that models could not stand on the roofs, but neglected to define the chimneys. The only ranged attack I had was Lilith's Wicked Vines. It was not a fun game, and subsequently, all of those chimneys were removed. 

sniper nests are not fun in Malifaux. See the current discussion of it in the rules section of the forum.

I've done it a few times but most of the time there is some version of lure on the table. 

Which thread?  Can't see it...