German translation

amanwing

Hi,

are there plans to translate the rules and/or the cards to german?

It would be great if we at least could have the small rulebook translated. it would help a lot of other players. Even if it only would be a pdf.

I would help to translate if you just need the german texts.

Considering that it is the larger rulebook being translated it would be kind of weird if they didn't also print some cards in German as they have already had the rules on them translated.

I wonder how well that will go, though. Some of the cards are very short on space, and German is longer by about a third than English. I worked in translation of some major studies, and it can be a big hassle.

Considering that it is the larger rulebook being translated it would be kind of weird if they didn't also print some cards in German as they have already had the rules on them translated.

I wonder how well that will go, though. Some of the cards are very short on space, and German is longer by about a third than English. I worked in translation of some major studies, and it can be a big hassle.

Use a smaller font or bigger cards. :P

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, amanwing said:

Any news about the translation?

Wyrd might not to have the capacity to translate in German, so they likely need a partner. For Privateer Press it's Ulysses in Germany, which probably do the translation. FFG's X-Wing is translated by Heidelbaer in Germany - which I can say for certain.

If Wyrd start themselves to translate, they might to appease other markets; France, Italy, etc. so you really have to think about it, if you want to pour in the resources.

In addition, you might want to have someone ready, who can help out in the rules department and than there is customer support to boot.

As you see, sadly it's not all just translations.

I can understand that someone doesn't want to play a game in english. I'm myself for Germany (but I enjoy playing games in their original language, because of the support and added benefits that come with it). Since you are posting here, I take a leap and assume that you want to bring more gamers into the Malifaux fold, who might not be able to deal  with a game in english. I would translate it for them (if they are interested), but I can understand that not everybody is thrilled about some additional chores...

Just see below... (happy to be w[r]ong)

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Several translations are 'just about there', some further along than others. 

This year you'll see translations for rules and cards in Spanish, Italian, French and German. They will not all hit the market at the same time. We'll announce when and where, till then, nothing to report. 

:)

Well I guess I have to swallow my words then... ... ...

14 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Only the rules and the arsenal decks are being translated. 

Boxed miniatures will still come as they are, in english. 

That seems strange. WarmaHordes minis are opened by the German partner, the cards exchanged, and re-packaged. Is that not feasible?

I'm not that active in Hordes anymore - but yes, buying German models means you only get the German card.

I'm not that keen on a German translation of Malifaux anyway (I hate the Denglish that always leads to) but if it helps the player base.... 

6 minutes ago, Dirial said:

I'm not that active in Hordes anymore - but yes, buying German models means you only get the German card.

I'm not that keen on a German translation of Malifaux anyway (I hate the Denglish that always leads to) but if it helps the player base.... 

Na, was just shocked, since WarmaHordes is returning here and I now still can't my Local store, since I don't want to mix it up with the english --- though as you put it, if it helps the game (and in this case I am talking about malifaux), I am more happy about it :)

52 minutes ago, Hunt.er said:

I`m happy about a german version, cause in some cases the english terms are not definite enough to non-native speakers, so it makes the rules more clearly and avoids mistakes.

The English terms are actually very clear, the FAQ is in English as well, and the translation is practically guaranteed to have its hiccups leading to more issues. In my opinion, the clarity of the rule set can only suffer if more languages are involved.

4 minutes ago, Hunt.er said:

Hmmm - no.

When the text is in the language of the player, several looks in the FAQs wont be necessary. But it`s on everones own.

To be fair, the text is already in my language and there are several things I need to look in the FAQ for... Sometimes more than once