Beginner expanding the Perdita box

Beta

Hello there,

I'm  new to Malifaux and just had my firt 2 games. The first one was with brrowed 10 Thunders and the second game was with my own (Guild) crew.
As first master I decided to go with Perdita. Since I had a fun time and I want to have a bit more flexibility for creating my crew, I'm thinking of expanding a bit.
The only question is...what to get first. I made up a little lsit and wnated to hear some opinions from more experienced players.

1. Austringers
2. Lady J Box
3. Sonia Box
4. Pathfinder
5. Abuela

After that there would be things like Guild Hounds, Riflemen, Pistoleros, Lucius Box etc. since most of these models aren't out yet.
Any objections or ideas?

When you bought all the stuff from your list you are quite solid with several sorts of lists and playstyle. Then you are down to your own playstyle, but I would look for a large beater just for the fun, peacekeeper comes to mind, or one of the ponies, marshal, pale or cavalry. The second you buy Lucius, you have started to thread the slippery slope of other factions. I had the idea to be pure guild, but the I bought Lucius and now I have started to glance both a TT and Neverborn, and I have some mercs which means I have dipped my toe in the outcast pond. So be careful with what you buy next.  ;).

/C   

Edited by Cate
spelling

@Cate: Lone Marshall is also on the list on position 6+. Lucius is the last position. First the "real guild" and thenn slowly expanding to Neverborn (which is the faction I like the second most regarding the miniatures).

So this would be a viable plan? First getting the Austringers, and then moving on with the additional boxes?

@Dirial: Eh...what?

*edit*: I've just seen that some online stores have more miniatures available, then listed in the Wyrd Store. Are these the old ones from 1st edition?
Is my assumtpion right, that the miniatures listed in the Wyrd store are the only new edition models out there?

Edited by Betasec

If I was you I would get the Lady box before the Austringers, sure Austringers are good, but you really want death marshals, for many things, pine boxing papa, scheme running, pine boxing big bad etc. Judge is a good henchman, even if Franc is good, I feel that Judge is a little better when you play a henchman lead game. Lady J has a different playstyle than 'Dita and can confuse your opponent a bit when choosing leader. 

The order I would buy stuff would be.

1. Lady J

2. Sonnia

3. Austringers

4. Abuela

5. Pathfinders

I am thinking Dirial is pointing out that both of you have almost the same Avatar picture and that both of you are from Germany.

/C

Three DM are often to much, but then again in the 'Dita box you have ton of shooting, and quite a lot movement shenanigans, which are the Austringers tricks, while DMs are faster sturdier, better in cc and can hide and move around other thing. But then again sooner or later you will have both. :)

/C  

It's rare that you'll want 3 of most minions.  2 do the job just fine and more risks you limiting your options.  Austringers and Death Marshals are both quite good, just in different roles.  Austringers are solid shooting platforms that can pick off models or attack your opponent's hand, plus some extra pushes/interacts, while Marshals are solid scheme runners with pine box shenanigans.

'Dita's crew is generally very mobile, elite and relies on positioning and buffs.  But, without cheaper minions they can be outnumbered.  Austringers fit that role, so do Death Marshals, Witchling Stalkers, Watchers and even Guild Guard.  I would recommend the Austringers and Brutal Effigy (cheap and tough significant minion that can help dita heal and draw cards) as one-off additions with your choice of Sonnia, Lady J or Hoffman as crews to add in.  Lady J is a melee beatstick, fairly simple to learn but a bit one-dimensional, the Judge is a tough and versatile henchman who can fight and push models around, and the Marshals are awesome.  Sonnia is a different kind of pew pew focusing on blasts over single targets, Sam Hopkins is a glass cannon who really puts the hurt on burning targets, and Witchling Stalkers are solid melee minions who can remove conditions pretty reliably.  Hoffman is the construct king buffing them up, though he tends to limit his hiring pool to other constructs, Guardian is a tough model that can protect and possibly heal a friend and it sports a nifty 3" melee that can ignore armor or it can do a shield bash that pushes enemies out of position, Hunters are fast and durable minions that can tear up scheme runners by themselves and can pass out slow and potentially drag models with their harpoons and Watchers are cheap, fast scheme runners who can negate cover on enemies or let your master draw LoS from them.

Thanks for your reply.

After reading all your posts I reshuffled my list a bit and it now looks something like that:

1. Lady J Box (for DMs and a second master with a different playstyle than Perdita)
2. Austringers
3. Abuela (to complete the family)
4. Pathfinder

Since we're only playing at 35SS right know that should be plenty of stuff to fiddle with. After that I'll start completing the rest of the Guild based on the looks and how they fit into my desired "theme".

Thanks for your reply.

After reading all your posts I reshuffled my list a bit and it now looks something like that:

1. Lady J Box (for DMs and a second master with a different playstyle than Perdita)
2. Austringers
3. Abuela (to complete the family)
4. Pathfinder

Since we're only playing at 35SS right know that should be plenty of stuff to fiddle with. After that I'll start completing the rest of the Guild based on the looks and how they fit into my desired "theme".

It's a totally workable list. I advise you to take it to 50 SS fast, though. Smaller games can be severely unbalanced.

I'm not sure if I am in the minority on this one, but I just like everything inside the C. Hoffman box.

• Hunters, great movement shenanigans. Also their Chain Harpoons are some of the best in Guild for giving out slow especially if the model hasn't activated yet.
  • Guardian, a hardy minion model that typically is great to take to deny Make Them Suffer, imo. Gives out Defensive +2 to models that doesn't go away until his next activation.
  • Watcher, a low cost model that has a high walk and can fly. Also it can deny models cover and if used properly could also give Perdita LoS to models that are hiding behind blocking terrain.

@Dirial: Since I only played 2 games until now I want to play some mor on 35SS until I'm bit more comfortable with the general rules, schemes and strategies. But after that 50SS is the goal.

@Hagisman: Tho problem ist...I don't like the models. Like in...really, really don't like. Even if they are good, I think I'll never buy them.

• Like 1

@Hagisman: Tho problem ist...I don't like the models. Like in...really, really don't like. Even if they are good, I think I'll never buy them.

Understandable I feel the same way with McCabe

Really? I love the models in the McCabe box! I just would not use them outside of his crew, aside from Sidir.

Is there anything in particular that puts you off?

Really? I love the models in the McCabe box! I just would not use them outside of his crew, aside from Sidir.

Is there anything in particular that puts you off?

I just wasn't a fan of Indiana Jones growing up I guess. Also I dislike the idea of having cavalry in Malifaux, I don't really know why. I think it stems from the idea that McCabe can jump off his horse, but Lone Marshal and Mounted Guard cannot.

Wastrels interest me as an alternative to Guild Guard. Sidir didn't impress me from when I went up against him, but I do like him on paper. Ruthless is also an ability I like having especially with opponents in my area using a lot of Manipulative right now.

I think McCabe's two versions somewhat complements his nature of using things for his advantage. Some things about it are weird, like not having Conditions transfer across, but for the simplification of game mechanics I don't have much trouble with it.

I am often pleasantly surprised by Ruthless. Nothing like lining up Tannen with a Wastrel pocket handgun shot or two, or ignoring Drinking Contest completely.

Back on topic, Pistoleros can help to pad out with more cheap, Family AND Ruthless models, and offer a nice buff besides. They also make great Penanggalan hunters :P If you have a LGS that still has metal models gathering dust in a forgotten corner you might be able to find the blighters, or an online retailer might have some still in stock. They're especially nice as they are (to me) nice sculpts and in one piece each. If you can't find any, I definitely recommend proxying them until their release; I know I appreciated having more bodies on the field running the Ortegas in theme when things like Recon came up.

• Like 1

Back on topic, Pistoleros can help to pad out with more cheap, Family AND Ruthless models, and offer a nice buff besides. They also make great Penanggalan hunters :P If you have a LGS that still has metal models gathering dust in a forgotten corner you might be able to find the blighters, or an online retailer might have some still in stock. They're especially nice as they are (to me) nice sculpts and in one piece each. If you can't find any, I definitely recommend proxying them until their release; I know I appreciated having more bodies on the field running the Ortegas in theme when things like Recon came up.

Pistoleros are on the list, I want the whole family ^^
But I'll have to wait until the plastic models are out. I hate metal...

What metals they are plastic, just one of the original plastics I thought:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0825/4481/products/WYR20115-RelicHunters_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1431098176

What metals they are plastic, just one of the original plastics I thought:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0825/4481/products/WYR20115-RelicHunters_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1431098176

Those are wastrels, not latigo pistolieros