Gremlins beginner, starting Wong

Lmjh1985

Hi all!

I'm pretty much new to the Gremlins side of Faux. I got the Closing Time box for my birthday for my Ten Thunders faction, and decided to have a look at the Gremlins stuff (I know; that way madness lies!). Anyways, nothing particularly drew me in, until I saw the magnificence of the Wong artwork! I love anything Asian-themed anyways, but the idea of a Gremlin dressed as a Big Trouble In Little China extra stuck with me.

Anyways, I want to get the Wong starter. However, I know that you should get various things to be able to deal with every situation. My problem is, I have far too many minis. I've got bits for 4 factions already, and I don't want to hjave every mini possible for those factions. So I'm wondering, what would be best to get with Wong to bulk him out to a sort of all-rounder 50ss crew. If it works with Brewie, even better. But I don't want to buy any of the boxes for the other masters. They, nor their boxset henchmen, don't really do much for me. So I'd rather not go for those (plus, if I get the master box, I'll only get more stuff to go with them and so on). I've got things like Performers (from the Dark Carnival set) so don't mind adding the odd mercenary (though I don't want to venture into either Guild, Neverborn or Outcasts).

Any suggestions would be great! Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Lmjh1985

Personally I think the biggest thing for Wong is a glowy target.

You will want a model that is there to kill things with their new magical weapon. . There area wide range of possibilities, but the common ones are Francois, Burt, Gracie, McTavish and Lazarus. (I imagine Manjo Rojo would also be a good option,  but I've not seen him  used yet). All bar Francisco are in their own box (well McTavish isn't released yet, but will be in his own box) They all have some use in  brewie list, from Gracie being able to move Brewie after his activation to shift the drinking time aura, to Burts Crackerjack timing bring models in, to Lazarus doing Blasts, or McTavish not randomising when shooting into combat. And thoe 4 are Mercs so can be used by any faction. 

• Like 1

Wong's box is one of the best starter boxes in the game I think, since Lightning Bugs are so versatile. You can easily use three in a list and not feel like there's too many. And Mancha is a solid Henchman who can challenge any beatstick and come out on top. Though he does eat cards and Stones like candy.

As for what to add, Burt is Wong's pal and has good synergy as a Glowy target (as Adran mentions) and with his Crackerjack Timing to bunch enemies up. Gracie is the third one of the Big Trouble triple and she is also very nice able to cart Wong around so he can focus more on blasting and less on walking.

Finally, Bayou Gremlins are always good - you are unlikely to need all four, though but two are very nice as Scheme Runners and general annoyances.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I'm putting an order in now, and wondering...is the Whiskey Golem worth it in a Brewie crew? I've seen conflicting opinions either way, but don't fancy dropping £20+ on a duff model.

Also, are Slop Haulkers particularly necessary in these two crews? I know they see use with Ullix etc.

Edited by Lmjh1985

Thanks guys! I'm putting an order in now, and wondering...is the Whiskey Golem worth it in a Brewie crew? I've seen conflicting opinions either way, but don't fancy dropping £20+ on a duff model.

It's not horrible but it's not spectacular, either. You won't lose games because you took it but you won't miss it horribly either.

Also, are Slop Haulkers particularly necessary in these two crews? I know they see use with Ullix etc.

Slop Haulers are very good but Lightning Bugs can sorta kinda substitute a bit. You won't regret getting the Slop Haulers, but I would prioritize some of the other models first.

• Like 2

I just got Malifaux and Gremlins myself, so I am by no means no expert, however I am enjoying the idea of running Wong, Lenny, and Rami together with a slop hauler.  Not sure what else I will put in the list, or if this will even work, but it sounds like a good idea just looking it over.  Maybe a couple of Rooster Riders when they come out and a couple of Bayou Gremlins for some support shooting and scheme running.

• Like 1

I just got Malifaux and Gremlins myself, so I am by no means no expert, however I am enjoying the idea of running Wong, Lenny, and Rami together with a slop hauler.  Not sure what else I will put in the list, or if this will even work, but it sounds like a good idea just looking it over.  Maybe a couple of Rooster Riders when they come out and a couple of Bayou Gremlins for some support shooting and scheme running.

Burt and Gracie should be an auto include in any Wong list. Burt gives you the same trick up the sleeve as the lovely assistant, pulling enemies into a bunch ready for the following explosion, with the added bonus that Burt has the resilience and offensive power to kill a lot more than she does. That way, if you feel constructive, you can forego the Lovely assistant and add Ol' Cranky as a totem for Wong, giving him more shennaningans.

Then Gracie is just... well, an absolute MUST! She just parks into melee range eating the enemies minions and regenerating. that's when she's not providing top notch taxi service to your masters and henchmen, allowing them to skip AP on movement and concentrate on the killing. Superb!

• Like 1

Interesting, but I cannot seem to find the Ol' Cranky model anywhere.  Am I just overlooking him or is there not currently a model?  I literally just got into the game 2 weeks ago and my first order (aside from the main rulebook and wave 1 and 2 cards) actually just posted that it is out for delivery to my house today.  I am looking forward to assembling some models and playing on Saturday.

Edit - Also I am probably just overlooking it on the card, but how does Gracie act like a taxi service?  I don't see anywhere on her card where it lets her move a master?

Edited by The_Hooch

At the moment there is no model for Ol' Cranky, and I don 't think there is an expected release date, so you're probably not going to see him until March at the earliest. Since you have the arsenal deck, you'll have a  card for him. I've seen several people convert up a Bayou Gremlin to act as a proxy. 

• Like 1

Edit - Also I am probably just overlooking it on the card, but how does Gracie act like a taxi service?  I don't see anywhere on her card where it lets her move a master?

This is also something I have wondered, I've seen it mentioned a few times yet I can find neither hide nor hair of any such rules in the book for Gracie.

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment there is no model for Ol' Cranky, and I don 't think there is an expected release date, so you're probably not going to see him until March at the earliest. Since you have the arsenal deck, you'll have a  card for him. I've seen several people convert up a Bayou Gremlin to act as a proxy. 

The plastic Hog Whisperer model makes an excellent proxy or conversion starting point for Cranky.

Edited by D6Damager

Personally I think the biggest thing for Wong is a glowy target...

...(I imagine Manjo Rojo would also be a good option,  but I've not seen him used yet).

Mancha Roja is an absolute beast! played against a glowy version a few times now and he's just so annoyingly consistent and adaptable; he feels like a gremlin bishop with silly damage output and more toolbox utility. 

Personally I think the biggest thing for Wong is a glowy target.

You will want a model that is there to kill things with their new magical weapon. . There area wide range of possibilities, but the common ones are Francois, Burt, Gracie, McTavish and Lazarus. (I imagine Manjo Rojo would also be a good option,  but I've not seen him  used yet). All bar Francisco are in their own box (well McTavish isn't released yet, but will be in his own box) They all have some use in  brewie list, from Gracie being able to move Brewie after his activation to shift the drinking time aura, to Burts Crackerjack timing bring models in, to Lazarus doing Blasts, or McTavish not randomising when shooting into combat. And thoe 4 are Mercs so can be used by any faction. 

Now that we've finished off a campaign I've been doing for a while, I want to try glowy with Hannah. She's got the Freikorps suit, which will keep her insulated from Wong's blasts and the lightning bug pulses so she can hold the front pretty well and still accept the barrage. Hannah can also borrow lighting bug attacks and crackerjack timing with make a new entry. Really her only downside is that slop haulers won't be effective with her. 

Someone picked up the Brewmaster box, ya say? ;)

Things to help with Wong:

Reckoning/ Turf War is where he's a monster. If it looks like you're going to be fighting over a small area, Wong's a great choice. The crew needs ways of handling single targets and being able to scheme run, so a pack of bayous is useful. For the Ooo Glowy targets, don't be afraid to look at Mercs that provide something useful to a Strat/Scheme. My personal fav is Ooo Glowy on Sue over in Outcasts.

in terms of models to look forward to, one I'm chomping at the bit for is Sammy Lacroix, mainly because I get access to both of Wong's Limiteds.

Welcome to the cool faction ^_^