working with model water stuff?

SpiralngCadavr

So, I'm working with a well that's boing to be 3/4"-1" deep, about 2" diameter in the bottom, flaring to about 4".

The well is made out of plaster and currently I have woodland scenics realistic water. I was thinking something murky with just a touch of paint to make the water on the nastier side.

Optimally, I'd like to put a plastic pane in the well a bit below the surface to conserve on material and, if I'm feeling gimmicky, be able to have a fun light under it.

My plan was to just paint and varnish the thing, install a pane and use some clear goop to seal it around 3/8" down, then put down a few layers of fake water, but I'm pretty inexperienced with it, having only used the stuff for a few bases. Any tips?

Thanks for the tips- I'm going to try to get the LED circuit working and see how bright it is... at the moment, I'm thinking a couple pretty strong tints at the bottom, then weak ones for the rest of the way. This is what I'll be filling (once it's solidly together, of course), want to keep as much teeth texture visible under the surface as I can.

dias%2Baction%2Bwip.jpg