What's Dead Rider good for?

Slapdrone

Just picked up Dead Rider at a local game store's last Friday of the month Malifaux night because...it's the last Reaser model I needed to complete having all the wave 1 & 2 stuff!  I usually run Tara, Molly and  Kirai.  So now that caught 'um all, What's the Dead Rider good for?

Well, his skit is movement shenanigans and late game tankiness. The big seller with him is the drag trigger, so an ideal turn would be to charge in, strike a couple of times and push back to your lines. First problem though is that turn 1 he can't do it and turn 2 not as well as he'd like.

Turn 3 onward he starts being a tank, is a semireliable melee expert and can push stuff all over the place. So it's more about you willing to wait those 2 turns. His damage is pretty tame though for his cost, so dont teach for him if you just want damage. His horror tricks can get you some very nasty results, but can be a wash unless the enemy hand is depleted.

• Like 1

One podcast mentioned using him with Molly during Stake a Claim to help pull opposing models off markers and to disrupt their VP gain from the strategy turn 3 onward. I also have him painted up, but I just dont know where/when I'd specifically want him on the table and with who? He's not as busted good as Mech Rider is haha. 

Had a horrible game yesterday. We had flank Deployment and i placed my dead Rider behind a big blocking tree. Mind you that this was the first time i Fielded DR and i had this idea that he would ride around killing alot of Guild Dogs and Luna on the left flank and then join in to open up a can of pain on McCabe in turn 3-4 or so.

Well.. Turns out that McCabe is quite fast.. and has long reach.. so he Rides in T1 and kills the DR in a single activation. IT was a good lesson in Deployment positioning. That sets the mood for the entire game. and i lose badly.

Next time I will hide him better. and I will try to field him as much as possible to try to learn how and when i should start taking risks with him.

• Like 2

Apart from beeing good at dying turn one the riders are generally nice for dominating a flank, munching on schemers and completing bodyguard. ;) The dead rider has a kind of interesting niche in that it could prevent bodyguard quite effectively with three attacks pushing the enemy bodyguard target way back. In tournament play bodyguard usually isn't that popular but in frienly games I see it taken a lot!

I may or may not have been playing McCabe yesterday...

• Like 1

I played a game today with the Dead Rider to see what he would do.  While I like the damage output of Hooded and the Summoning of Mech a little more, I think I can make him work.  The interesting part was how he uses crows to add to his duel totals.  Later in the game he can reliably hit and drag key models out of position.  His damage track isn't anything to ignore either.  Perfectly capable of dealing out the punishment himself.  I'm definitely going to try him out some more.  It'll be fun dreaming up some ways to use him in different strats/schemes.

By the way...the game was against Shen Long crew (holy crap can they move around the board!) playing Reconnoiter.  I took LiTS and Protect Territory.  We both maxed out on scheme points.  The rider was very valuable swinging between quarters to give me the numbers to score.  He was also able to drag a model from one quarter to another to  actually let me control two quarters.