Push Etiquette

Ceodoc

Pushes which contain a direction (such as towards or away) must be in a direct line, so for peekaboo it is center of base to center of base to draw the line it must follow.

For something like a charge, then  you can run past the target as long as you end up engaged.

Don't worry, I'm not stalking you:P

Pushes which contain a direction (such as towards or away) must be in a direct line

You are correct, but slight clarification from rb pg43:

"A push is an effect that moves a model in a straight line", and "Usually, when a model is pushed it must be moved as close to the maximum distance of the push as possible, in a straight line."  

Which seems to indicate that your 'pushes which contain a direction' is an unnecessary clarification. I sound like I dick, I don't mean to sound like a dick ;) Also, please tell me if I missed some FAQ somewhere. 

it can push to be in base contact but does not have to be the same line as the model was pushed.

Model A is pushed 4" away from Model B. Model B pushes into base contact. Base contact can be on the side if the push does not get stopped by impassable terrain.

It is pushed into base contact...you can push into base contact on the side of the model if it is a legit push

Pushes in relation to another model are always directly towards or away. A push in to base contact is a push in relation to another model.

The paragraph in the rules which appears to say otherwise:

Some game effects require a model to be pushed in relation to another object, such as towards or away from another model. When this happens the model must move in a straight line while obeying these restrictions, moving directly towards (or away from) the specified object.

So, according to that "push into base contact with X" is telling you "push directly towards X as far as necessary to make base contact".

Edited by solkan
  • Like 1

The first part of Peekaboo can be in any direction. The part where Teddy pushes into base contact goes by the most direct route between Teddy and the other model's new position.  

So you can't push obliquely towards the model to get a bit more movement/better positioning. You can however move it towards Teddy at an angle and then end up behind it if you have enough clearance, which can be unpleasant. 

it can push to be in base contact but does not have to be the same line as the model was pushed.

Model A is pushed 4" away from Model B. Model B pushes into base contact. Base contact can be on the side if the push does not get stopped by impassable terrain.

Your first part is correct, if only because in this example Teddy pushes them in any direction, then he pushes into base with them. But you can not push to the side of a model if you are pushing into base contact. You must push directly towards the model, which means closest point to closest point. 

Just to clarify, I believe you still have to move in a straight line, so you choose your vector of approach and have to stick with it, but you don't have to move directly towards the target, as long as you move in a straight line and end the move engaged with the target.

Yes, that's how I supposed it works. Don't know if you're familiar to the game, but looks a lot like how charge works in Warmachine.