Cheated Fates Radio Bracketology 101 New Episode Discussion

PeregrineFalcon

I found the podcast to be a fantastic listen and I really enjoyed it.  I don't have enough experience with all the henchmen to have any complaints about the final ranking, though I was rooting for some upsets (as I usually do for the NCAA tourney).  I did have a very minor quibble about the actual bracket usage (where the #3 seed faced the #1 seed in the second round, as a proper NCAA bracket never has a #1 vs a #3 happen before the final round of a region), but that's so minor as to be ignored, and really my only thought on that was "I wonder if the results would be different if the second & third rounds had different match ups"

I would love to see this done again with a larger pool of survey respondents, to shake up the top 16, and I would also love to see this done for different model groups (4pt models, enforcers, etc...) and perhaps with one or more of the hosts taking the match up from the "if X was facing Y across the board who would actually beat the other" as this episode seemed to focus more on "does X or Y help his player win the game more, fit in more crews".  At the very least, I've love to hear that X was voted past Y because X directly shuts down Y even though Y is generally more useful.  I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head, as I am not very experienced, but if there are any of these I'd love to see it lead to an upset.

• Like 2

Great episode, Adam.

Is Spawn Mother truly the second worst Henchman? I am not disagreeing with the results, I haven't played nor faced most of the Henchmen yet, I am just sincerely interested in your opinion.
Her model hasn't been released in plastic yet and her metal one is very rare. Do you think that she would place higher if it wasn't the case?

• Like 1

Great episode, Adam.

Is Spawn Mother truly the second worst Henchman? I am not disagreeing with the results, I haven't played nor faced most of the Henchmen yet, I am just sincerely interested in your opinion.
Her model hasn't been released in plastic yet and her metal one is very rare. Do you think that she would place higher if it wasn't the case?

First and foremost....we are not claiming that the ranking of the henchman in anyway is THE order if you (or anyone for the matter) racked and stacked them. The order came to was just to give us something to go from and incite a fun discussion.

Second we don't believe that any of the henchman to be bad (or need help) etc. Remember ss cost is a good gauge for ROI of a model. The last (or second to last for that matter) models in the list aren't bad models and serve roles in many cases. But others may just be a little better. For example if we were to have a ranking system from 1-10 where 10 being best and 1 being worst I'd say Ototo is a 6 and everything in between to #1 is some thing in between that and a 10. I actually like spawn mother quite a bit on paper and have faced her a few times to see how effective she is. With that said she isn't out in plastic and a lot of people haven't seen her so have less experience and may have ranked her lower. I think she's actually quite good so don't read too much into the ranking. More so read into the reasoning why model X beat model Y in a 1v1 and figure out how much you agree/disagree.

Thanks for the feedback and comments!

P.S  Ototo Wp 4 is pretty rough though from a stat block perspective. 

Great episode, Adam.

I my personal list she's the top neverborn hench for 1 reason, and that's because she scores points and you can't win without scoring points.

To echo the uniqueness of the episode in the malifaux podcast sphere is what contributed to the small pool of respondents in the first go round as we were testing it out. Something we will remedy in future episodes. Additionally there is no definitive list as every respondents personal experience, ideas and views will jade their portion of the survey and of course Malifaux being a game of strategies and schemes will also influence the "power" of a model in a particular matchup. But thats the fun of lists and general nerd debate. I am gald the episode is getting the respond that it is. But by no means does something being on the list means its the end all be all and something not being on the list means it crap. It simply means on that day when people did their survey this is how those particular models averaged out that day.  And relistening to the episode I'm seeing some arguments that people missed that would of changed my mind as to how I voted on it. 

• Like 1

To echo the uniqueness of the episode in the malifaux podcast sphere is what contributed to the small pool of respondents in the first go round as we were testing it out. Something we will remedy in future episodes. Additionally there is no definitive list as every respondents personal experience, ideas and views will jade their portion of the survey and of course Malifaux being a game of strategies and schemes will also influence the "power" of a model in a particular matchup. But thats the fun of lists and general nerd debate. I am gald the episode is getting the respond that it is. But by no means does something being on the list means its the end all be all and something not being on the list means it crap. It simply means on that day when people did their survey this is how those particular models averaged out that day.  And relistening to the episode I'm seeing some arguments that people missed that would of changed my mind as to how I voted on it. 

Thats interesting. I'm looking forward to what the UK guys are doing and look forward to their conversation.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the episode, but it did seem to me that Yu was artifically high because people seemed to be thining of his upgrades for some of his things. Likewise, fancois with his self damage, whilst the faction does healing, him taken on his own, he can't heal. 

Did make me think of a couple of new ways to do this, you could do it, including upgrades. You could also look at the bottom 16 and run a plate contest.

Poor Dan, I assume, placing Toshiro as his top henhcman, and him still ending up 35th

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the episode, but it did seem to me that Yu was artifically high because people seemed to be thining of his upgrades for some of his things. Likewise, fancois with his self damage, whilst the faction does healing, him taken on his own, he can't heal.

Yeah, when I listening the upgrades did effect a bit. Francisco's for instance they did mention a couple of times that "even though X henchman was Yss he would be Y+Zss cost model if we added that necessary upgrade."

There was also a lot of this model is just good on its own.

• 4 weeks later...