Cheated Fates Radio Bracketology 101 New Episode Discussion

PeregrineFalcon

@rancor709 (Joe) and I sit down with some friends and talk Henchman! @Arash_Suri, @Drool_bucket and Dan (BeforeWeBegin host) join us. The episode is a special edition CFR so we don't do a HAG (Hobbies Announcements and Games) but we spend just over two hours discussing 16 Henchman in a sweet 16 bracket. 

http://cheatedfatesradio.podbean.com/e/cfr-bracketology-101-the-science-of-henchman/

I am putting this here as a place for people to discuss the ep. What would your brackets look like if you chose a sweet/top 16? Do you agree/disagree on matchup outcomes?

IAoQjHy.png

To understand how we did this, we had a survey filled out by about 8 players (we would have liked more but just didn't have the time). This survey resulted in ranking all Book 1 and Book 2 Henchman with a SS greater than zero (yes we missed Valedictorian). If you'd like to add to the survey now feel free to (survey monkey). This gave us our rankings. 

While we believe there were some glaring omissions in the top 16 we found the discussion to be quite interesting and exciting. We'd would like to do more episodes like this in the future. So let us know what you think. What are your top 16? Based on our bracket match-ups who do you think should have won over another Henchman and why? Give the episode a listen and let us know your feedback. Also please excuse some of the sound quality issues about halfway, its lasts for about 30sec-1min and then gets better.

SPOILER FINAL BRACKETS AFTER RECORDING

https://bracketsninja.com/brackets/single/9214

RE3rIYf.png

Here are the rankings results as of recording.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BRt5Ems_VXCcvzA86u_lVenmgV8NC7opTxi6zXyobUI/htmlview

OA1n6p4.png

• Like 2

Having only 8 people polled seems a bit small...

it was in the future we will be opening it up. Was first time with the format and wanted to keep it under wraps until ready to release. Next time we'll have a much larger pool of input and make the survey monkey easier to use. Thanks for the feedback. 

What were the biggest upsets in your eyes?

I used my gremliny pull to get Frank in the top 16 (I put him 5th), but sadly my other favorite old major missed the cut :'(

Taking the survey was a great thought exercise, looking forward to doing this for other sets. 

Two suggestions:

1. Best musician - 8 man bracket of the Crossroads 7 and Sue :)
  2. Best 4SS minion - so many great models in this bracket, and taking the SS cost factor out would help clarify the issue and streamline discussion.

Edited by Guy in Suit
  • Like 2

possibly next time only count top 15 position of the vote, obviously a lot of "i don't know how he/she works so I will score low going on"

We did try and get a variety of players to take the survey from around the country. Next time we will open up to the rest of the world for initial seeding. 

Of course we would have liked to do ALL of the Henchman but that would have been too long, the initial seeding was just a way for us to get the number to a manageable amount for recording. 

One of the most interesting thing about this after going thru the process is to see some matchups where they were so close get faced off against one another and how the decision (while completely subjective to ones own experiences) process evolves. Like Dastue Ba vs. Fancisco is a perfect example.

In the end it would have been pretty boring radio to do a stat for stat EVERY SINGLE case discussion. Speaking for myself personally I don't seen enough Gremlins or 10T in my area anymore so yeah I ranked them a little lower.

Thing is you want people to spend some time with the survey monkey and I think the fact some people had issue with the survey messing up on them and having to restart meant less energy was put into really thinking about them.

Again, I want to emphasis though the point isn't about WHO is the BEST or WHO is the TOP 16, its about the discussion when you see two facing off and the arguments people can make. It's very debate team-like.

Hopefully people aren't pulling their hair out too much and got some entertainment out of the episode ;)

was probably my favourite episode to date. Absolutely loved it and it has created so much buzz/discussion. The only thing that confused me was me was how you constructed the bracket. First round made sense (1v16 etc) but shouldn't second round have been winner of 1v16 vs winner 8v9? That's how it is in all sports brackets and similar brackets I've seen. Not a huge deal and doesn't effect the winner but still thought it was odd.

Also clearly some odd ball choices made it into top 16 and Gremlins/Ten Thunder are underrepresented (in my mind). Neverborn was way over represented. Would be interested on seeing how a larger pool of people would change the top 16

• Like 1

was probably my favourite episode to date. Absolutely loved it and it has created so much buzz/discussion. The only thing that confused me was me was how you constructed the bracket. First round made sense (1v16 etc) but shouldn't second round have been winner of 1v16 vs winner 8v9? That's how it is in all sports brackets and similar brackets I've seen. Not a huge deal and doesn't effect the winner but still thought it was odd.

Also clearly some odd ball choices made it into top 16 and Gremlins/Ten Thunder are underrepresented (in my mind). Neverborn was way over represented. Would be interested on seeing how a larger pool of people would change the top 16

Yes you are correct that 'first' photo of the brackets is completely wrong. We tried to fix it on the fly but the bracket software was a little rough. If you look at the spoiler bracket it is mostly fixed.

If anyone cares this is what the brackets would have looked like, but we were learning the bracket software on the fly. It wouldn't have changed the outcome though :) https://bracketsninja.com/brackets/single/9257 (Remember this is NOT what we used for the episode).

Edited by PeregrineFalcon
Link to 'updated' brackets
  • Like 1

Just wanted to say, this is a fantastic idea! Listening to the ep now and yelling at my comp because I love Ama No so hard. I really like when a podcast can bring some neat ideas that encourage further discussion through forums, facebook, etc.

I really hope this kind of cast continues and expands! Thanks guys!

Thanks for the feedback. @rancor709 and I are constantly trying to come up with new unique topics. Its great to see so many new 'faux shows out there and want to keep doing what we do. Hope you get a chance to listen in to the backlog of episodes. Cheated Fates Radio is the longest running Malifaux podcast after all ;)  :)

• Like 1

Was interesting and entertaining to listen to. Even if I don't really see Hannah as that amazing myself. :P

She also suffers from having a terrible model generally available and great model locked away in some dusty limited edition vault.

Yes, her TtB variant is much better. Already found three TtB Hannah models for people (sorry they're all spoken for) after this episode :)

Thanks for the headsup on the forums! Might have missed the podcast otherwise. Going to listen to it; sounds like an interesting take on a podcast, and love it when things arent as black/white ranked, but more discussion based.

Would have loved the Valedictorian to be included though! And as rezzer Hannah is already on my wishlist (but want the TtB one, but that's so expensive!).