New player, starting with Nicodem

Scoops

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine has recently convinced a group of us to get into Malifaux. Most of us have a little bit of experience with miniature games, primarily 40k, and everyone is pretty excited to get started. A lot of the new player threads and links to resources I've found on the forums have been really helpful, and through a few different write ups here and on the wiki I've decided to pick up the Open Graves box set and start out with Ressers and Nicodem.

I'm a little concerned because out of the 4 players we have in our group right now, one has chosen Lady Justice and the other one is playing Ramos, both of whom seem to be tough opponents for the Resurrectionists. Just how much of a counter are these two masters to Nicodem? Do I have a painful future of losing ahead of me, or are there any specific tips to keep in mind? 

While there are some masters that are more powerful than others, in general, the balance is very good and, again in general, over time the more skilled player is the one who wins. The balance overall is very good and you should have no trouble winning games with Nicodem, assuming you and your friends all develop your skills at around the same pace.

The one thing about Nicodem I will caution you on is that he can be an expensive master to play, and play at the highest levels, because in order to "officially" summon anything he is able to, you need an official model and cards. If he doesn't have flexibility in what he summons it is possible for him to lose a good deal of his power. That isn't to scare you off, and in most cases, especially if you are new or don't have a great deal of disposable income other players will let you proxy as long as the models make sense and you aren't trying to say:

"This plastic smurf I glued to a 30mm base is a punk zombie, while this identical, or nearly identical, smurf is a rotten belle, and that smurf is a hanged."

I think you'll do fine.

Welcome to Malifaux.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! That's good to hear. I do wish that the fact he's an expensive master to play had helped temper my interest in him, but so far he's been the most enticing master to me. I'm excited for my local store to get the box in so I can start building, and waste all my money.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! That's good to hear. I do wish that the fact he's an expensive master to play had helped temper my interest in him, but so far he's been the most enticing master to me.

When one gets into the Nicodem club, one does not leave so easily. Petty things like 'money' and 'rent' cease to take any meaning. Wyrd must use the same addictive stuff Magic: the Gathering puts in their ink, it would explain some things :)

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine has recently convinced a group of us to get into Malifaux. Most of us have a little bit of experience with miniature games, primarily 40k, and everyone is pretty excited to get started. A lot of the new player threads and links to resources I've found on the forums have been really helpful, and through a few different write ups here and on the wiki I've decided to pick up the Open Graves box set and start out with Ressers and Nicodem.

I'm a little concerned because out of the 4 players we have in our group right now, one has chosen Lady Justice and the other one is playing Ramos, both of whom seem to be tough opponents for the Resurrectionists. Just how much of a counter are these two masters to Nicodem? Do I have a painful future of losing ahead of me, or are there any specific tips to keep in mind? 

LJ and guild in general have ways to deny corpse counters, like when LJ kills something. Ramos is running all constructs most likely, and doesnt drop them either. One of the most nasty things Nicodem has is his war of attrition in that bubble. Once things start dying on both sides, you're getting booku corpses and Mindless Zombies and will easily out activate your opponent, and then allow you to sacrifice those corpses to heal Nico and summoned models, and just drawing more cards. Basically, you just may not be getting AS many against those crews as you would, say, against Gremlins.

Ramos/Constructs in general also have armor, and sometimes alot of it. You'll definitely want things that ignore armor, like Shikome/Student of Steel that ignore their primary defense. They'll cut through Howie and Spiders like butter!

Edited by gromgrom