A crew to play smashy face

Edwilkins

Hi, not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I was hoping for some advice.

I have played a few games with the dreamer crew and a teddy and so far I'm loving the game. I'm now wanting to go into a 2nd crew/mastermaster since most of the stuff I want for my dreamer crew isn't out yet. I want a crew who can really tale a punch and give one back harder up close and personal.

What would people recommendrecommend for a tough close combat crew? I have no preference to faction but I only build fluffy lists so I build on the theme of a crew box.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hoffman and Lynch spring to mind for me. Hoffman has massive beater constructs (buy his own box + Ramos' box). Lynch has some very hardcore beaters in his theme and is the same faction as Dreamer. Both depleted and illuminated can take a pretty darn hard beating and illuminated hit like trucks. I'd say Hoffman is more easily countered than Lynch since he relies heavily on armour and doesn't have many Ca attacks in theme.

Edited by Ludvig
Spelling

cool, thanks :). I'm hoping to play against a friend tomorrow who recently picked up Hoffman so I will get to see how he plays. Lynch himself doesnt look like a hard hitter (could be wrong, haven't played against him but I have had a look at his card awhile back), I guess he just supports the Illuminated and makes them better with the brilliance thing?

cool, thanks :). I'm hoping to play against a friend tomorrow who recently picked up Hoffman so I will get to see how he plays. Lynch himself doesnt look like a hard hitter (could be wrong, haven't played against him but I have had a look at his card awhile back), I guess he just supports the Illuminated and makes them better with the brilliance thing?

He has a very decent gun and can be played a couple of ways. There are very good tacticas on him on several podcasts and you can check pull my finger. One way is go early and help get brilliance while shooting people (support) the other is brutalize people with his end of turn with his high damage spell. I would probably advocate the first way since it's easier and more fun for both players. The hungering darkness comes for free with Lynch and is also quite hitty. 

Mei + Ironsides should be okay. Rail Workers are great minions once they're engaged but they're kinda slow, which is something the Captain can help with. Either crew would benefit from running those models together. Unfortunately, though, only Mei can hire Kang (at least, in the Arcanists) and Ironsides is the only master that can take the Warding Runes so other masters can't use Oxfordian Mages as well as she can (although you can take the Mages to support a henchman)

Mei Feng is a better match with Ramos or Kaeris, though, since they play to her construct and burning focuses. Mei, Ironsides, Ramos, and Kaeris are all M&SU affiliated, though, so you should be able to pretty much freely mix and match their models and still end up with a thematic crew.

They are solid models (Metal Gamin more so then Rail Golem*), but does not add anything specific to Mei Feng apart from being constructs so she can step on them.

* Rail Golem is one of those models that if you have the right hand and is willing to drop it on them it can be really amazing, but most of the time Howard Langston is going to outdo it.

The metal gamin and rail golem, being constructs, give Mei Feng more places to railwalk to. Also, the metal gamin are extremely tough for 4 ss minions and can give models Df 6 (though they often seem to use that on themselves).

The rail golem I haven't played yet (mine is still unassembled), but in my experience playing against it, it can put out a lot of damage and can be very fast, but I've tended to kill it faster than I expected. It's a good beatstick, but it's no Howard Langston, and Hank is only one more soulstone to hire. (Yes, I am biased toward Hank. Ramos is one of my most-played masters, and I used to play Hank with Raspy instead of the Ice Golem.) The rail golem is much more thematic with Mei Feng, however.

I think I might give me I feng a try. The metal gamin seem great for taking a hit and being difficult to remove while helping mei feng get where she needs to be to do the damage. Backed up by the rail golem with her emberling totem to help out with the burning and the other stuff from her crew box which all seems quite hardy.

Thanks for the help guys :)

If you're wanting to stay with Neverborn I suggest Lynch box first and getting Lilith and the Nephilim box. Mature Nephilim are the epitome of smash face. If you can get off a Flurry, attack a model with the 1st to attacks and then get the Charge Through off, they're pure gold. Of course they're also as expensive as gold.