What counts as terrain?

Philosfr

Question

There's a discussion ongoing about what counts as terrain, and what counts as base to base with terrain, specifically in regards to the campaign event this week "Sandstorm".

When the sandstorm is active "All portions of the table that do not have terrain count as severe terrain"The question is, does this mean the whole table counts as terrain? If you have an ability that states "Enemy models in base contact with terrain..." does an enemy standing not near any terrain before the sandstorm count as being in base contact with the terrain after sandstorm triggers?

To me, the rule on terrain says "All terrain has a base", and describes terrain as an object. The empty part of the table is not terrain. Sandstorm say it "counts as severe terrain", but does not say it becomes terrain, nor can you be base to base with something that has no base (unless you describe the entire table as the base when sandstorm is active).

I'll be the first to admit that the rules aren't 100% clear here, but I would say sandstorm does not trigger "in base contact with terrain". Others are saying differently. Thoughts?

4 answers to this question

Sheesh... events like Sandstorm are completely broken for certain models like Rasputina and Lilith if that is the case. There's zero safety from Rasputina's paralyze (wait? is hers the one that is in base contact with terrain, or am I thinking of someone else?). The mere act of Lilith manifesting her Avatar in a campaign game will damage the whole enemy crew, not even considering the fact that her Avatar makes it hazardous as well. I already assumed these events would act as a big bonus for models like Waldgeist, but not that much.

The campaign was never meant to be balanced, more of a narrative experience for your group to enjoy the storytelling. There is a reason avatars still don't exist within the larger "standard" ruleset. You just have to hope the event doesn't coincide with Lilith's avatar being in the campaign or enjoy the show if it does.

Did you point to the table and define it's attributes (including Ht) at the start of the game?  If you didn't (and we all know you didn't), then it's not terrain.  :P

That's why the table you're playing the game on isn't normally terrain.

Edit:  When the sand storm hits, the table becomes severe terrain, so everything in base contact with the table is now in base contact with terrain.

Edited by solkan