Terrifying vs Horror Duels

Philosfr

Question

So over in the Neverborn faction forum a question came up about Horror Duels, specifically the immunity to them. I thought I'd ask it over here, since the RAW seems to leave room for any model that forces a horror duel to be much weaker than I previously thought.

In this case, we'll use the Widow Weaver. The Widow Weaver has Terrifying, but also has an attack action which can force the target to make a Horror Duel. The question is: If the Widow Weaver attacks a target and it successfully makes the Horror Duel, does that model become immune to all Horror Duels the result from the Widow Weaver until the End Phase? Meaning a second successful attack wouldn't require a Horror Duel at all since it was immune, and the model could move near or attack Widow Weaver without making a Terrifying check?

The small rulebook rule on Horror Duels does say Horror Duels, so RAW seems to imply that a second attack by Widow Weaver would not force a Horror Duel. But the section seems clearly written for Terrifying checks, and even mentions the model can continue activation without being affected by Terrifying. 

Edited by Philosfr

4 answers to this question

A model that passes a Horror Duel may continue to act normally. Additionally, the model is considered immune to Horror Duels from the model that generated the Horror Duel until the End Phase of the Turn. A model, therefore, does not have to pass multiple Horror Duels caused by one model's Terrifying Ability, but it might have to test against a different model's Terrifying Ability in the same Turn.

Just like the rule prohibiting cheating a black joker is inherent in the Cheat Fate mechanic and applies to all card flips, the immunity clause for Horror Duels is inherent to the Horror Duel mechanic and applies to all Horror Duels (whether caused by a Terrifying ability or some other ability).

On the other hand, when looking at the Widow Weaver, keep in mind that failing a Horror Duel applies Paralyze to the failing model:

A model that fails a Horror Duel immediately gains the Paralyzed Condition (see pg. 52).

That's not limited to Horrifying, either.

That's pretty game changing. Our local group has certainly played terrifying correctly (take a disengaging strike, succeed, get immunity for the rest of the turn, etc), but I know we've played things like Widow Weaver and some of the Ressers that can force horror duels with other actions incorrectly per this interpretation.

I guess it becomes important of what model is the one causing the horror duel for some of those abilities. 

played terrifying correctly (take a disengaging strike, succeed, get immunity for the rest of the turn, etc),. 

Not sure I fully understand. Do you mean take a disengaging strike, fail the strike, end walk action, terrifying check, succeed check and try disengaging strike again, fail again, end walk action but no terrifying check this 2nd time round?

played terrifying correctly (take a disengaging strike, succeed, get immunity for the rest of the turn, etc),. 

Not sure I fully understand. Do you mean take a disengaging strike, fail the strike, end walk action, terrifying check, succeed check and try disengaging strike again, fail again, end walk action but no terrifying check this 2nd time round?

I meant that if a model takes a disengaging strike against a model with Terrifying, passes the Horror Duel, they then gain immunity for the rest of the turn. They can then attack or move near that model later on their turn. It would also apply if they made a second disengaging strike against the same model. That part is 100% clear. 

The part that our group played wrong and seems less clean was Horror Duels resulting from things other than Terrifying.