Slop Hauler / Johan vs Challenge / LOS?

Philosfr

Question

I understand that when a "target" is involved, LOS is required unless there is a rule that trumps that. What about the Slop Haulers and Johan's healing abilities? They get to heal models within x distance. It's not an aura, it doesn't use the word "target" and doesn't require any flips. In this absence, it seems to me that LOS is not required. If Johan is on the other side of a 6" high wall from the Firestarter and in range of Barbaros's Challenge, Johan can just heal the Firestarter with no problem. At least that's how we've played it when it's come up because that seems to be the case.

Is that actually the case? I've always struggled against the insane healing a Slop Hauler can put out, especially with Reckless, and it would be nice to know if I could slow that down with Barbaros or by blocking LOS or anything.

1 answer to this question

If it just says 'within x"' a la slop haulers, then no you don't need line of sight, since the model is within that distance and no other restrictions are specified. So slop haulers can throw their slop over walls, Johan can heal through trees etc.

It doesn't make the most thematic sense, but then some cases of 'within X"' do, like the pigapult's place.