September 21 - Ashes and Dust

Lucidicide

Finally the render for this model. 

This I like. Really it is a nice model. It is such a vast improvement over the poopmonster that I can't even begin to express. I like the Ashen Core actually. It has nice details with the skeleton hand holding the head and all. The formed one is really a cool piece of plastic and will look good on the table. The storm one is really cool too. 

I like it! I thought it would be very warhammery, but it's not actually, at least to my liking. No complaints here. :) 

• Like 1

A&D is only height 2 on the card...

Yes, but as we know, often model height decisions concern rules or gameplay rather than the aesthetics of what the piece is supposed to represent, and there are exceptions to every rule. Shouldn't a 13ss centerpiece model have the size to show for it? Just my opinion though :)

Edited by StormLordXIII

It's a nice model

but not enough to tempt me to start any more outcasts.

But both ashes and dust are gray in real life. It's the perfect model for you!

You need some Ice Gamin for that BURRRRRRN?

Also whats the rough ETA from 'monday preview' to 'in Phototoxins claws'

I bet the anser to the ETA is "Too Long".

I like it! I thought it would be very warhammery, but it's not actually, at least to my liking. No complaints here.

:)

What is Warhammery exactly?

I think the render looks pretty good though, I'd buy one if I ever planned to use it.  Probably just because as it stands.

I fully love the Ashen Core, less so the other two pieces but they still look good.  I'm not sure why A&D has a barrel with a skull bandolier in its chest; is that a carry-over from the old design?

The old design appears to have had a set of chained up corpses in it's general "chest" area, and the barrel w/ skulls seems to emulate that a bit.  Although the old one looked more like corpses/zombies, and I think the plain bone/skull is a better look (Like it's been stripped to the bone by dust/ash).  As for the barrel itself, I imagine this thing, as it looks, is rather much like a whirlwind or tornado picking up whatever it rolls over, so maybe there was just a barrel outside that got swept up?

Not bad at all. It's a tough concept to make into a mini and this isn't a bad attempt at it.

Ashen Core is a bit silly in that eighties metal album cover style (destroying the form leaves that behind??) but all in all everything about this model is rather cheesy so I suppose it fits. So basically the execution is good even if the concept is a bit silly.

Also Valhallan's suggestion is very perfect for this particular model.

• Like 1

I'm not making any official judgements until I see the plastics in person - I have a feeling it will suffer big time from Wyrd Plastic's lack of depth of detail - the fact that the renders show A&D's layers to be smooth is pretty forboding proof of this. I might have to detail it up myself or proxy with a huuuuuuge centerpiece... honestly I might just stick to the original.

Not to say that the concept isn't great - the clean cut concept of this one blows the original out of the water - I just feel I should have definently been a resin model with deep rocky/ashy/sandy recesses like the original but with this beautiful concept. 

If this ends up being another baby-smooth model like Plasty Chompy Bits, I'll probably just find myself a big hige centerpiece proxy (like a converted mourngul or something /shrug).

I'm starting to learn that I'm not a big fan of Wyrd Plastics when it comes to models that "should be" heavy detailed.

Already know I will not like Dust Storm - I actually really like the original dust storm so I'm cool with that.

Edited by SpectreEliteGaming
  • Like 1

I'll probably just find myself a big hige centerpiece proxy (like a converted mourngul or something /shrug).

Old Confrontation Fire Elemental would make a pretty damn spot on A&D.

I was actually brainstorming and thought of that fire/water/wind spirit elemental thing from Descent 2nd Ed. But that's even better!

I'll probably just find myself a big hige centerpiece proxy (like a converted mourngul or something /shrug).

Old Confrontation Fire Elemental would make a pretty damn spot on A&D.

That's what I use, and I use the Air Elemental from the same line as Dust Storm.  I still don't have anything for the Ashen Core though.  I honestly like the plastic one's render in the preview, but it might be hard to convince myself to buy the whole thing just for it.  Decisions...