LOS question regarding ht

gonzo917

Question

3 answers to this question

From page 41:

The Ht of the acting model, target, and intervening objects can effect whether or not the acting model has LoS. If the blocking object (terrain or model) between the Attacker and target has Ht lower than the Attacker or target's Ht, then the blocking object is ignored for LoS quality (but not cover).

In other words:  The blocking object is ignored for LoS quality--which means that it doesn't block line of sight--if it has a Ht lower than either the Attacker or the target.  It's still going to grant cover, though.

So the Ht1 and Ht2 models can draw line of sight to each other across the Ht1 blocking terrain.

Edited by solkan
  • Like 1

I hope some of this will make sense...

Follow up question using the LOS on page 41, IF the level 3 boxes were not there could  Rasputina draw LOS nephelem even though Lilith is in the way?
what if Rasputina was 3 " back and the distance between her and Lilith was 7" because Lilith is further away than 3" would Rasputina be able to draw LOS to Lilith but give her cover?

Here's what happened.
A fiercorp tanner (ht 2) was sitting on a hill that was 2" high (ht 2 to me but I digress) shooting along the down slope so he was 4" from the actual edge.
Target model (ht 2) was under the overhang of a building (think of it as a porch) with no elevation (ground floor), about 18-20" away. About 6-7" in front of the target model, on the same level as the target model, was a prisoner model (ht 2) directly between the attacker and the target. Does the attacker have LOS to the target model who is on a lower level? See page 41

Thanks,
Gryffen88

I hope some of this will make sense...

Follow up question using the LOS on page 41, IF the level 3 boxes were not there could  Rasputina draw LOS nephelem even though Lilith is in the way?
what if Rasputina was 3 " back and the distance between her and Lilith was 7" because Lilith is further away than 3" would Rasputina be able to draw LOS to Lilith but give her cover?

Here's what happened.
A fiercorp tanner (ht 2) was sitting on a hill that was 2" high (ht 2 to me but I digress) shooting along the down slope so he was 4" from the actual edge.
Target model (ht 2) was under the overhang of a building (think of it as a porch) with no elevation (ground floor), about 18-20" away. About 6-7" in front of the target model, on the same level as the target model, was a prisoner model (ht 2) directly between the attacker and the target. Does the attacker have LOS to the target model who is on a lower level? See page 41

Thanks,
Gryffen88

The diagram on page 41 is illustrating line of sight from a vantage point.  As such, it's subject to a few unusual rules.  The first of them:

Models between the acting and target model which are below the vantage point model are ignored.

So it doesn't matter where Lilith is.  If Lilith is between Rasputina and the Nephelem, she gets ignored.  If Lilith isn't between Rasputina and the Nephelem, she's not in the way.

The line of sight rules in Malifaux are sometimes simple enough that people read them, and then conclude that they have to do something else because what's spelled out sounds too simple.  This might be one of those cases.

Models below the vantage point model get ignored.  That means that a model on elevation less than the vantage point get ignored.  It isn't asking "Is the model's elevation plus it's height less than the vantage point model's elevation?" or something similar.  It's just comparing straight elevations, not elevation plus height.

In your example, it sounds like the prisoner model was at a lower elevation than the fiercorp tanner.  As such, the prisoner model gets ignored while drawing line of sight to other models.

• Like 1