Advice with Francisco

CiDevant

Interviewer: Dgraz, you've played Malifaux a long time right? And played a lot of Guild?

Dgraz: Oh yes. And heavily involved with Guild, specifically the Ortegas. I spent a lot of time testing and suggesting things about them during the transition to M2E.

Interviewer: During the last couple of years there's been a lot of complaints about Francisco Ortega. That he was too good, that he was an auto-include and too powerful. What was your stance on that?

Dgraz: Well, I certainly didn't agree, and I tried to show people how soft he actually was and how easily an opponent could remove him from the table. He was never an auto-include for me.

Interviewer: And now that the worm has turned, so to speak, and people are actually starting to complain about how difficult he is to use and keep on the table how do you feel?

Dgraz: Righteous.

• Like 4

Interviewer: Dgraz, you've played Malifaux a long time right? And played a lot of Guild?

Dgraz: Oh yes. And heavily involved with Guild, specifically the Ortegas. I spent a lot of time testing and suggesting things about them during the transition to M2E.

Interviewer: During the last couple of years there's been a lot of complaints about Francisco Ortega. That he was too good, that he was an auto-include and too powerful. What was your stance on that?

Dgraz: Well, I certainly didn't agree, and I tried to show people how soft he actually was and how easily an opponent could remove him from the table. He was never an auto-include for me.

Interviewer: And now that the worm has turned, so to speak, and people are actually starting to complain about how difficult he is to use and keep on the table how do you feel?

Dgraz: Righteous.

Well I just started playing this summer.  Every one of my opponents seems to treat him as a speed bump on the road to get at whatever their real target is.  

"Oh, you brought stupid hat guy, guess I'll kill him first."

Well I just started playing this summer.  Every one of my opponents seems to treat him as a speed bump on the road to get at whatever their real target is.  

So all you need to do is make killing Franc near impossible, and your opponent won't be able to kill anything. Sounds good to me.

• Like 2

So all you need to do is make killing Franc near impossible, and your opponent won't be able to kill anything. Sounds good to me.

Can I guess? Sidir? :D

Can I guess? Sidir? :D

Or just hide him behind terrain. Whatever works...

• Like 1

I plan to run him in a Lucius crew, supported by Beckoner, Freikorps Trapper, Pathfinder and some Riflemen (maybe Mr. Tannen also). Beckoner luring enemies into his range, he binds them and the gunmen shoots them down. Don`t know if it would work, but i`ll try it one day.^^

Edited by Hunt.er

I actually think Francisco adds the most together with Sonnia, because he really shifts her from being a slow and vulnerable master that has a hard time leveraging her damage without being locked in melee into a decently paced fiery kill machine that's not so easy to kill.

Hermanos to drag her along is about as auto-include as anything I've found in this game. Other upgrades on him vary with my daily mood and available soulstones. That he then also buffs her Df+Wp makes her that much more able to survive a turn, and then the fantastic bodyguard (not the scheme..) that he is, is almost what makes him the best. Opponents will usually think twice before engaging Sonnia when Francisco is still alive and nearby. 

When I play Sonnia without Fransisco, she's usually tied in combat by end of turn2 or early turn3, and she's rarely killed much since she has to spend so much AP moving. So I really think he enables her to work as she should. 

McCabe is really fast enough without Frans and can buff other models to perform as good or better. Justice I'm not that into, but I imagine she'll like the push first turn and then run away from him. Hoffman just likes hits bots, Lucius his minions and Perdita is just fast enough with her own pushes and her Df7 going to 9 doesn't matter as much as you think.

That said, he's still a solid model for his points and I don't think he's ever bad, but I don't think he's always the best take.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I also believe that Justice can take even more from him than Sonnia as Df7 means Justice gets hit a lot less and with Juggernaut and Brutal Effigy the amount of frustration that you infuse into your enemy is immense ;) Justice having a push also increases her potential threat range and not many models want to be in her threat range.

Frank is a beast, pair him with McCabe and they synergies brilliantly. Frank makes McCabe far less easy to take out cheaply and McCabe can position Frank to make most use of 3 x ml7 with +flips. The value of companion is also huge, soften up with McCabe finish off with Frank before your opponent an react. Taken down numerous high value targets this way.

Truth is he is well worth his points in a Lady J and Sonnia crew which demonstrates his ubiquitous nature.

Edited by Tapdancer

I find the best part of Frank is the fact that he has companion - I love keeping him near a hunter, dragging in a high value target then companionning in Frank to do work. If you can get the Hunter's zero off and then Finesse Frank is in a good way defensively if he doesn't one shot the target. I also find he is an autotake when frame for murder is out there - VP is the most powerful part of the game IMO. I run him naked at that point and murder missile him in  (I will trade the 8 stones for 3 VP).