What primer do you use?

ClockworkSparrow

I use Black Primer, from the P3 line. Before that, same color from GW. There's a difference that I've seen between primers which is really important for model painting. P3 and GW brands, plus I'm sure a few others, the paint is designed to contract when it dries. Regular primers for wood and cars, the paint expands to fill in gaps on the material.

Edited by edonil

I've been using a grey recently, but properly switching away cause it causes my models colours to look quite dull.

Really? I've been using grey for years and "dull colors" is not something I've ever been accused of....in fact, people that prefer more realistic paint styles complain that my stuff is too bright.

I love grey. Both Black and White are too drastic. Black is hard to cover with light colors and white is hard to cover with dark colors....plus if you can't reach a spot on a model, white (moreso) and black really show it but grey blends right in and you can't even tell unless you know it's there.

I've been using a grey recently, but properly switching away cause it causes my models colours to look quite dull.

Really? I've been using grey for years and "dull colors" is not something I've ever been accused of....in fact, people that prefer more realistic paint styles complain that my stuff is too bright.

I love grey. Both Black and White are too drastic. Black is hard to cover with light colors and white is hard to cover with dark colors....plus if you can't reach a spot on a model, white (moreso) and black really show it but grey blends right in and you can't even tell unless you know it's there.

Hmm, it could be another issue, I just remember having a lot of issues getting colours right in my most recent painting, but that's a while ago and had to do with other painting related malaise too so I might just be misattributing it.

I suppose later techniques may influence it as well. Personally I layer up for really dark to really light.....before I get to my lightest highlight there's at least half a dozen coats of paint on there. If you're not using as many layers then the grey would probably show through more.

I personally use white for most things, because I prefer to paint in bright colours and because stuff like washes mean I can reach any part of the mini to cover it. It's also easier (IMO) to see all the detail on a white mini than a black one, so I make less mistakes that way.

I have been tempted by grey recently, but haven't brought myself to try it yet.

I use the GW white and black sprays. Usually go with white unless there is a lot of metal colours to be painted on the model (I always paint metallics over black) or unless I want the model to be dark looking. I sometimes use brush on Vallejo white primer and it's really good and gives a much smoother finish than the sprays. But I use sprays now because it saves me so much time. I wish I had an airbrush but can't justify the cost!

Edited by Moondog

I use Army Painter black spray primer. Their coloured primer range can have some issues, from what I've seen, but the black is better than the GW stuff I used to prime with, and it's cheaper, too. Coats nice and thinly, only minor issue is that it dries slightly glossy, so you might want to run a thin coat of matte black over anywhere you're leaving black (e.g. in the deep recesses of the model).

Vallejo - though I might switch to Badger's Stynylrez because I can't tell a difference and its cheaper.

Black for all bases (so the mini is brighter than the base) and black for all/mostly metal minis and white for absolutely everything else - even if its a mix of metal and nature elements.

Airbrush friggin' eveything. My days of brush priner are over (unless I miss some spots ;) ).

Edited by SpectreEliteGaming