Hodgepodge Emissary - (When) will you bring it?

Erorior

As the title implies, I'm curious what you guys think of our emissary, since it seems... odd... to say the least. While Von Schill's personal upgrade to it is hilarious, I'm kind of divided in my feelings towards it. It is a support model, and it's 0-action can probably be a game-changer sometimes when those scheme markers are sorely needed. The trinkets can be nice as well, I suppose, but is the ramshackle pile upon the very small donkey worth the ss? Will you play it with your masters? What synergy and potential do you see?

I've tried it with Von Schill and Tara so far, and it was worth its price. Tara needs more buries and with VS my opponent made the emissary #1 priority beacuse of all the shirts coming off. Shame I tried mind games by secretly declaring the emissary as bodygaurd rather than the stongarm suit with the regen trinket...

I imagine a better player than me could plan better for the (0) scheme push, but taking the emissary with a normal crew does leave you down on activations (unless you take Hamelin or summon-Leve I guess) and it is not especially killy nor tanky for the 10ss cost. VS taking his shirt off three times in the middle of the oppnent's crew was pretty fun tough, as was keeping an oppenent's trapper buried for most of the game....

Why with Misaki?

Should add that I've only used the Emissary with Misaki, Viks and Von Schill, so my comment is based on that.

Getting an extra AP every time Misaki kills something is good. You can use the Next Target trigger to push into range to use the extra AP gained or charge twice (theoretically it could be more) on a turn.

The Emissary gets a 0 action that lets him push 4" from Conflux of Thunder. With his built in 4" push to drop a scheme marker, you can move him 8" without spending any AP (though the built in push costs a card.). With the other Masters I didn't always take a 0 action and rarely did the 2 allowed from Instinctual because it was too card intensive. 

• Like 1

It seems to be quite good with Daw, since its curse is rather grim. Over all, it is a model that brings scheme marker manipulation, in droves, which the faction currently lacks. Trinkets open up a whole lot of untapt synergy. 

Any specific trinkets-model synergies in mind? I'm really curious on what impact they will have. Regeneration and Don't mind Me seems good right of the bat, while companion and the Monkey's Paw seems more corner-case. However, I imagine that both can make a huge difference at times. 

After musing on it more and reading your thoughts on the emissary, it's uses are definitely more clear now. Now to find a nice proxy... :P

Edited by Erorior

Stick Regeneration on Vanessa and she heals other Sisters each turn.

Stick Reactivate on Blood Viki and sling shot her at the end of the turn to see total carnage in enemy lines (true suicide mission but with such an effect :D).

Ash can get Survivalist now as Blood will be granted Companion from the Trinket.

My Viks will be crazy once I get Emissary :D

• Like 2

Stick Regeneration on Vanessa and she heals other Sisters each turn.

Stick Reactivate on Blood Viki and sling shot her at the end of the turn to see total carnage in enemy lines (true suicide mission but with such an effect :D).

Ash can get Survivalist now as Blood will be granted Companion from the Trinket.

My Viks will be crazy once I get Emissary :D

giving regeneration in general is a good idea as is the reactivate however.. That first part doesn't work. Fates entwined works on heal flips. Since regeneration isn't a flip there's no entwined.

Good point. I haven't played Viks for long time so I forgot it must be a healing flip to heal them all. I thought it is just simple healing needed. Regeneration then would be granted to Sue: Hurt at the end of his activation for the card and next turn heal. Rinse and repeat :)

Edited by daniello_s
  • Like 3

I've looked at the Hodgepodge Emissary for Tara, but I find it really hard to justify its inclusion unless you really need a lot of marker dropping. The 0 action bury needs a tomb which you won't always have and you can't stone for it, so you can't rely on it. This is especially a problem in my mind for a 10 point model in a crew that likes to have a strong offensive model in the 10 point spot instead of a utility model. Especially, if you are running scion which fits in a similar scheme pool and is probably more fitting.

I suppose I just need to try it a couple games and decide for myself...and I would take it if the scheme pool is terrible and I want to do line in the sand.

I played it with Levi using the general upgrade. Gave regen to Hannah and reactivate to a punk zombie. The push + Scheme marker allowed me to do Protect Territy with ease. It was a large investment, but with regen from Destiny and Hard to Kill meant the opponent had to put a bit of resources into removing it.

It seems to be quite good with Daw, since its curse is rather grim. Over all, it is a model that brings scheme marker manipulation, in droves, which the faction currently lacks. Trinkets open up a whole lot of untapt synergy. 

Any specific trinkets-model synergies in mind? I'm really curious on what impact they will have. Regeneration and Don't mind Me seems good right of the bat, while companion and the Monkey's Paw seems more corner-case. However, I imagine that both can make a huge difference at times. 

After musing on it more and reading your thoughts on the emissary, it's uses are definitely more clear now. Now to find a nice proxy... :P

Since Outcasts tend to be quite elite, getting stuff like Dont Mind Me and Regen really opens up a lot of potential. Taelor and Johan can lock up plenty of models with there 3" while being able to interact, for example.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will play Hamelin against Colette on Friday and because the scheme pool (Distract, Bodyguard, Plant Explosives and Spring the Trap) and Corner Deployment, I'm itching to use Emissary together with one Winged Plague. Plan is simple - toss reactivate Trinket on Plague, Obey it twice with Hamelin to walk twice towards centre of table and then activate Plague as the last, jump in between enemy crew and drop scheme marker for turn 1 3VP from Plant Explosives. Sounds fun :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am absolutely loving the Emissary with Hamelin.  Mind you I use both the Piper (obey) and the Plague (ranged blight trigger) in most of my games.

more ranged blight makes everything so much easier and Hamelin always has spare models to make use of the sacrifice for reactivate and more Don't Mind Me is always appreciated in a Obey list.  And Nix loves the Regeneration.

And the built in pos flips against Blighted is just gravy.

Used it recently in a reckoning game vs Neverborn and it was total gold.

Was using Leve and went with:

Leve, unnatural wasting upgrade

emissary with leve upgrade

hooded rider

dead rider

mech rider 

2 x waifs

worked really well and in hindsight he could have achieved Line in the sand and protect territory by himself, allowing my 3 riders to just go wreak havoc amongst the crew while leve nuked from range, also giving regen to a rider is magic.

being the first time i used him i chose poorly in scheme selection, but will definitely be trying him again sometime.

Seriously that image of an elite crew of soldiers running with an old man on a donkey giving spare shirts while the leader keeps ripping them off is killing me. :D 

Also with Leveticus you can play the rider list. 3 Riders and the Donkey. :D

ROFLMAO on the shirt galore.

I feel that the riders lists are a 2 way street. the shortage of activations would take their toll soon enough, unless you could alpha strike the enemy on turns 2-3