Fatemaster Characters

Azhacael

I've just run my second game of Through the Breach and I have a couple of queries about Fatemaster Characters. Apologies if these have already been answered on the forums but I've searched through and have also scoured the FAQ but can't seem to find the answers!

Firstly, am I right in thinking that if a Fatemaster character does something that only interacts with themselves or another Fatemaster character, no flips are involved? So for instance if an Arcanist buffs themselves, this just automatically happens? The Fatemaster is described as simply saying what happens rather than using Fate, so this seems to fit.

Secondly, if a Fatemaster character has to flip a card for an effect (the Stuffed Piglet's Bacon Bomb, or a Healing flip, for example) who flips this card? Is a card flipped at all, or does the Fatemaster simply decide what the outcome is?

I think the principle rule is:

... the Fatemaster does not randomly determine the actions of the non-Fated characters (or Fatemaster Characters).

If one Fatemaster character interacts with another Fatemaster character, you've got a few choices:

• Decide by fiat the result.  This includes whether you want to determine the result based on fixed stats, or "The plot requires X to happen."
  • Flip for the character.  This does involve touching the fate deck and giving the players cards.

If a Fatemaster character uses an ability that would flip a card for an effect, it's still the same two choices.

Disclaimer:  If you're using the wargame/tactical rules, then you follow the wargame/tactical rules instead of the normal Fatemaster rule. 

Given that Non-fated characters have a static number for their actions (rank value), any buffs would just happen assuming the rank value was enough to make the action work. Rank Value is considered the card flip for Non-fated characters.

Page 201 of the Fatemasters book has stats for the Stuffed Piglet, and you the Fatemaster flip for the bacon bomb, sooooo you could make some assumptions there.

Hope this helps ^_^