Hazerdous terrain and flying

throngaen

Question

Basically, the scenario I ran into, was I was playing jack daw vs kaeris. I ran a crew with jaakuma for the hazerdous terrain bubble.. kaeris engaged onto jack daw, who was separate from the rest of my crew, and tried to grab and drop him. It failed, so I activated jack daw, cursed kaeris, and used a few movement tricks to bring her into a small area with jaakuma. Since she is flying does she take hazerdous terrain damage, and if not, does that also apply to in corporeal models. I'm fairly new to this game , so thanks in advance for the help

9 answers to this question

Flight says that it "This model is immune to fall damage and may ignore terrain while moving" if she ends her movement within hazardous terrain she will take damage. Because when her movement ends she is no longer moving. This is of course she is taking a walk action. If she moves through it without ending in she takes no damage

For pushes:

Page 46 of the rulebook states that "Pushes do not count as 'moves'". As such flight will not come into effect because she is being pushed and flight does not ignore terrain while being pushed.

I'm not familiar with Jack Daw's force movement but these are the base rules.

Incorporeal read that this model is "This models ignores and is ignored by other models and terrain during movement or push". As such it would take the effects of hazerdous terrain if it stopped in it I believe based on the wording. Also it would not half the damage from such effects as the rest of the ability states that its only for Ml or SH actions. Hazardous Terrain is neither

Edited by Hagisman
Clarifying ignoring terrain

Incorporeal models would not take damage from hazardous terrain, because the ability states that they ignore terrain and models "during any movement or push".

However, a flying model might take damage from hazardous terrain. Flight only says that the model "may ignore any terrain or models while moving". A push is not a move, and so it would take hazardous terrain damage if pushed into it.

Because it says "may", you can choose to not ignore the terrain and so flying models would take damage. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that whoever controls the action that generates the move gets to choose, and so if you Obey or Lure etc an enemy flying model to move into hazardous terrain, because you control the action you get to choose to have it take damage.

EDIT: I hadn't considered ending the move in hazardous terrain at all. Therefore I guess my post only refers to if you enter and leave it during a single movement. Check out Hagisman's post imo.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Like 1

From my reading of Hazardous terrain, it only triggers for damage under specific circumstances, namely activating within it and entering it. If a model with Flight (or incorporeal, or some other terrain-ignoring ability) activates outside of hazardous terrain, then moves inside it, at the point they enter the terrain (when the damage would be triggered), the model is still ignoring all terrain, thus, IMO, would not take damage from it then. Ending a move within hazardous terrain is not one of its triggers, only activating within and entering. Have I missed something with this reading (because I use it to allow Misaki to charge into Hazardous terrain, ignoring it thanks to Diving Charge, every now and then and would like to know that I haven't accidentally cheated anyone).

As for Flight, pushes are not moves, so it does not allow a model to ignore terrain when it is pushed.

Edited by BigHammer
  • Like 1

If you have flight/incorporeal then you ignore it when first enter is but if your movement ends within it then you count as entering it.  Same with Leap, you ignore it moving over it but if your leap ends within it then you've entered it.  I know Malifaux has some odd timing issues but I really think this one is being over thought!

At the end of your movement you've 'entered' the Hazardous terrain so you would take the damage.

I'm personally with you on this Jonah. If you're flying above a forest, and then drop down from above to land in the center...you have entered the forest. Same for hazardous terrain. *Shrugs*

Edited by asrian
  • Like 1