The Tyrants - Who Where What Etc

Ultran

1 hour ago, EnternalVoid said:

One thing to remember about the tyrants is that it has been a very very very long time since they were sealed away.  In the little fluffy story between Plague and Anious, Plague clearly showed that mentally he could suffer from the passage of time.  I doubt they were the most sane to begin with before transforming themselves into what they have become, then add into that their slumber, imprisonment, and the time involved I would imagine that none are them are quite completely what they were when they started on their course.  Considering how the Tyrants are considered the dangerous secret of Malifaux that the Neverborn are attempting to keep hidden and sealed, I would not be surprise if Nytemare is Choppy Bits and on at least some level he has forgotten some of himself as he has spent how long floating through dreams feeding?  It really was the Dreamer that re-anchored him to taking a physical form more in Malifaux, a power he could not just take for himself.  For all we know having him semi-lost in the field of dreams might have been his prison.

As for Zoraida trying to get Choppy allied with the rest of the Neverborn, I get the feeling they want to stop the Tyrants less because of what they did and more on what they WILL do if they truly escape and get what they want.  Cherufe was causing all sorts of disasters emerging, I imagine if December truly manifested it would be similar on the cold side of things.  Plague has done all sorts of stuff being out and about with mass deaths.  Really it seems that mass destruction or super manipulation are the hallmarks of most of the Tyrants, simple put anyone else just suffers either at their hand or in their webs.  Choppy seems a much safer Tyrant, his level of damage is much more acceptable and managable.  Would they like him taken care of?  I am guessing yes but sometimes you have to pick the best of the bad options as there are no good options.  You might want to fight fire with water, but sometimes you just don't have that as an option and you have to take the bad option of fighting fire with fire.

Personally I think Despair has something to do with Pandora's Box, as when Pandora and Choppy were talking Choppy implied something about the box.  I suspect it is some form of prison for the Tyrant and possible lets one harness some portion of the Tyrant's power.

To be fair, Nytmare isn't just playing with the Dreamer for the fun of it. He's trying to figure out exactly how the kid manages to manifest his dreams the way he does. If Nytmare does discover the secret, he'd be on a power level similar to the other Tyrants.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2016 at 9:21 PM, -Loki- said:

To be fair, Nytmare isn't just playing with the Dreamer for the fun of it. He's trying to figure out exactly how the kid manages to manifest his dreams the way he does. If Nytmare does discover the secret, he'd be on a power level similar to the other Tyrants.

Pretty sure if Chompy gets that power he'll be well above the other tyrants. Either that or he'd be able to take Earth for his own.

• 2 months later...

Adding a few notes before Ripples of Fate is released:

The Tear of the Gorgon has been removed from Seamus' head and is presumed to be back in his possession; Ramos in his final avatar manifestation built something which may have been another 'device' like the one Hamelin/Plague is pursuing. I think the keys to the aether are back in play.

Taelor's relic hammer works 'to protect life', and she is lethal to summons which are life made unnaturally. I speculate that its target is the Gorgon, queen of unnatural resurrections--life doesn't get much more wrong than the soulful undead.

Johan is the renegade who inspires others in the system to rebel. I speculate that its target is, besides authority in general, Meridion--reasons to follow.

The Captain controls the winds. Not much idea here, with almost no fluff to go on. What's the last element of the Five Rivers? Is this one meant to thump a Dragon whose powers are partly of the wind?

Viktoria's Masamune is tied to the spirit of slaughter. It's a relic hammer which has fused with its target Shez'uul and has traded its relic hammer damage track for generalized pain.

My wild-ass speculations on Meridion:

*[Lucius was in need of a rewrite] mechanically, anyway. Fluff-wise, I'm not arguing with--I'm going to go on the record with some even wilder speculation, here--derailing the ascension of the tyrant Meridion king-and/or-queen-of-constructs** by rerouting it through the Governor-General and then creating another divide-by error with the effigies which Zoraida added to the mix. Dance amongst the ruins, Lucius: anyone who can take down a Tyrant without a relic hammer has earned it.

**Given Vanessa the lady of leylines and constructs, Lady Duffield the Guild astronomer, etc., I say queen. But then, I view everything as female by default, and then have to correct to male when necessary, and this is apparently not normal, so.

It's a tyrant of control, as the Governor-General was trying to be. The Great Geometer. People are constructs, to be moved about by a tug on the appropriate leyline. That's why, when the G-G picked up the leylines of people and pulled on them during his ritual, he instead tugged on everyone with more than a dab of construct to them (which really makes me wonder whether Lilith saw what he did, or felt it--if she turns out to be someone's puppet, heads are gonna roll).

19 minutes ago, Eichohrkatz said:

I have a side question (don't want to open an extra thread for it), what is the Grave Spirit? I read this name a few times in the books but don't know anything about it. What books contains Information or stories about this dark creature?

It shows up at the end of the first 1e Malifaux book.

It's also mentioned in Through the Breach, most notably in Under Quarantine.

1 hour ago, Eichohrkatz said:

Thanks, @-Loki- and @Mason. So i have to get the 1e books for reading the whole story. Good to know.  :)

If you don't mind an audio format, Wyrd's Breachside Broadcast has the stories from the first book and Rising Powers, and is currently working through Twisting Fates (for the avatar stories, and The Event and its aftermath).

http://breachsidebroadcast.podbean.com/

But you can get the PDFs for the 1.5 edition books for $7 each, if you prefer reading them:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5162/Wyrd-Miniatures

That is good to know.  After listening some to the Breachside Voxcast, I'm finding I want to know more about some of the characters.  And I'm trying to pace myself so I don't run out of audio too quickly.  Will have to add the PDFs to my purchasing schedule...