Drinking contest and ap, local issues

Tris

I'd say yes.

Page 38 of the big rule book; 'A model may take only one of these "free" actions per turn.'

Drinking Contest says; 'which declare an Action must succeed on a TN12 WP duel or take the (1) on the house Action instead'

You've declared the (0) action and thus 'spent' the free action.

Otherwise, with models that have 2,3,4 (0) actions you could just keep attempting to cast those.

The issue here seems to be the difference between declaring/taking an action, because, as you said, *a model may take one of these "free" actions per turn*, but it took the on the house Action instead...

Emphasis mine. You supplanted the (1) action in place of the (0), so the (0)'s place in the turn has been filled. My opinion.

Thank you for the answers, @lawgnome, that is exactly the point, things would be clearer if drinking contest would say that the action fails and instead you have to take (1) on the house, but as it stands, we started to think about it.

Basically, it`s not that important and is most likely never to happen, but I would like this kind of set in stone, rules wise.

Thank you again for your opinions :)

Consider what happens when the active model has already spent two AP, then declares the zero AP action. Or the model declared a 2AP charge. How many AP does it have left?

I don't know the answer to those to questions, but those seem to be important as to whether the duel is taken before or after AP are spent.

If the model declares a charge, it charges Brewie then must test for each attack action. The model would then have 1 (0) action left. If you attempt a (0) action and fail you will lose your (0) and (1) AP since you have replaced the (0) with a (1) AP action. When an action is declared you spend the AP.

If the model declares a charge, it charges Brewie then must test for each attack action. The model would then have 1 (0) action left. If you attempt a (0) action and fail you will lose your (0) and (1) AP since you have replaced the (0) with a (1) AP action. When an action is declared you spend the AP.

You don't need to spend AP to do the drinking contest, it just replaces whatever action you were trying to do. Can't remember the pagr but it's on the topic of actions and ap.

• Like 1

I don't think it works like that. Check page 37 of the rulebook. You declare the Action and spend the AP, then take any tests like Terrifying or Drinking Contest and then perform the Action if allowed. It might be replaced with Take a Swig but you don't spend the AP for that anymore. If you declare a Charge in the Aura, you spend 2 AP and then make a test for the Charge. If it fails, you drink and have still spent the 2 AP. If it succeeds, you then test for each Attack but whether you succeed or fail, you don't spend any extra AP over the 2 you have already used.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm a bit weirded by how you seem to have glaring errors in how Brewie works in several threads about him and you said that you playtested and played him extensively :huh:

• Like 1

In my opinion this is very simple. The most important word, in relation to this discussion, is 'Instead' on the Drinking Contest action. You tried to do a (0) action, you failed the Drinking Contest, you must take 'On the house' instead. The fact that On the house is a (1) action is irrelevant as it says you must take it instead.