Forum Update

Lucidicide

I find the new rules forum kind of annoying. The whole sort on rating makes threads with a lengthy discussion hard to read. I know there is a button to sort on date, but I have to click that every time and then find where the actual newest post is. An account setting to always sort rules threads on date would solve this for me (if there is such a setting I couldn't find it).

I really like the new look, feels fresh and PRO. The only thing I'm missing (or haven't noticed yet), both in normal and mobile version, is the button to jump to latest content in a thread.

If you click New Content (top right area), you can click on the circle or star to the left of a post to go to the most recent.

There might be a way outside that, but I only ever read via New Content :-P

I really like that you get a notification if your are being quoted. Makes for a nice "scholarly" feel. All and all, really like the new forums. Great decision, great execution.

Lol. I like that too. There are many things I like, but here are three things I really miss;

1. The 'back to top' button.

2. The 'preview post' button.

3. When you hover over the 'like' marker in your posts, it doesn't tell you who liked it.

There doesn't seem to be the option to get into the old UI for writing an answer (the one where you can manually write the BBCode and so on). I find this highly inconvenient.

Quote blocks are basically impossible to use without the old UI - is this something that is being worked on? Because I really, really dislike the new system.

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be the option to get into the old UI for writing an answer (the one where you can manually write the BBCode and so on). I find this highly inconvenient.

Quote blocks are basically impossible to use without the old UI - is this something that is being worked on? Because I really, really dislike the new system.

I'm probably missing something, but quotes are working fine for me. Is there another option you are looking for or editing/tag ability you are after?

Also folks seemed confused or upset over the like/dislike buttons. Does this work better for folks?

Back to top, can probably work something out on that. 

Preview, I'll look into but no promises.

I'm probably missing something, but quotes are working fine for me. Is there another option you are looking for or editing/tag ability you are after?

Also folks seemed confused or upset over the like/dislike buttons. Does this work better for folks?

I think people's problem with the quote function is that it "drags along" other posts, this one for example where I had no intention to quote Math. I could have deleted it, but that may not have shown people's concern. Even if you choose not to comment, when you try to quote again, it gets "saved" and brought up again.

Not entirely sure how you could fix that however.

I think people's problem with the quote function is that it "drags along" other posts, this one for example where I had no intention to quote Math. I could have deleted it, but that may not have shown people's concern. Even if you choose not to comment, when you try to quote again, it gets "saved" and brought up again.

Not entirely sure how you could fix that however.

Can you delete it? Because I can't. I either delete the whole quote block or else I end up with weird non-quotes (I can delete the text but not the quote block itself if it is embedded inside another). And chopping up a quote to answer several points is cumbersome as well. I'm also a coder (well, these days it's more that I was a coder and now I mostly do Powerpoints and sit in meetings...) so I really appreciate having control.

Can you delete it? Because I can't. I either delete the whole quote block or else I end up with weird non-quotes (I can delete the text but not the quote block itself if it is embedded inside another). And chopping up a quote to answer several points is cumbersome as well. I'm also a coder (well, these days it's more that I was a coder and now I mostly do Powerpoints and sit in meetings...) so I really appreciate having control.

Mostly ... though it still does nest as it's quoting after quoting after quoting ... that said, if I was to delete earlier in the thread or not quote someone who has quoted something else several times already ...

Yeah, see your point. Not sure I can fix it, but I'll see what can be done.

• Like 1

I have no issue with the like/dislike.... It might show 3 or 4 likes but doesn't show who it was. If you have the alerts set to notify you you will get a notification but that's a little lame....the old style (or like Facebook) all you had to do was hover the mouse pointer over it for a list.

Yes, you can delete it if you wish :)

Standard highlight and delete for the text, but then you have to make sure you delete the quote boxes as well.

Yes, you can delete it if you wish :)

Standard highlight and delete for the text, but then you have to make sure you delete the quote boxes as well.

I feel like a complete doofus, but I don't understand how you delete quote boxes that are inside other quote boxes... When I do it, it ends up looking like the above - how do you do it? Pressing backspace or delete doesn't seem to work and I'm unable to somehow choose the quote block (without choosing all the quote blocks).

Do you use Chrome? Wondering if it can be browser-specific?

I feel like a complete doofus, but I don't understand how you delete quote boxes that are inside other quote boxes... When I do it, it ends up looking like the above - how do you do it? Pressing backspace or delete doesn't seem to work and I'm unable to somehow choose the quote block (without choosing all the quote blocks).

Do you use Chrome? Wondering if it can be browser-specific?

No, normal browser dude. :)

go inside the quote box and delete everything in it, then just go below the quote and delete the entire box that way. your usual backspace button should be able to delete it (you can do the whole lot that way as well,

go inside the quote box and delete everything in it, then just go below the quote and delete the entire box that way. your usual backspace button should be able to delete it (you can do the whole lot that way as well,

Chrome is the most used browser by a huge margin, so it's the "normal" one :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers 

Which one do you use?

And that doesn't work (on Chrome at least). If I press backspace, it just somewhat bizarrely inserts your text into the Math Mathonwy quote block.

Edited by Math Mathonwy

I used the red return symbol to add some space over and below the quote box I wanted to remove, then selected the new space along with the quote box. Rather cumbersome, but it works for now.