Jack Daw and the Crossroads 7

ierthling

So I've been running JD for a while now, and absolutely love him. I'm starting to phase in the Crossroads 7, and I'm curious what people think about the different band members with Daw, their roles in a Daw crew, unexpected combos, and so on. I ran Envy last week, but sadly all he got to do was draw an enemy Killjoy into position and die, setting me up to waste Killjoy for Murder Protege. Still, I feel he'll do good work, especially with the free 3" push and/or Jack Daw obeying him for extra shots or stealing his attack.

Next up is Wrath. He strikes me as a pretty straightforward Beatstick / Tank - good at dealing damage, can heal himself as he does it or stone to prevent damage. Seems to just want to charge in and punch things, which I plan to facilitate with Oathkeeper, Scramble, or the like, and maybe Papa Loco giving him Hold This. Is there more to his role in a Jack Daw crew that I'm missing?

And in general, any wild combos or hilarious successes with the band in a JD crew so far? I'll keep reporting on how things go, but I'm curious if this major influx of new tormented models has had much effect on the way people play JD.

• Like 1

I say that Gluttony is the tops with Daw, especially with Crooked Men using Shafted nearby. Daw is great with interactive schemes,and Gluttony can only help that case. :)

Pride is also quite nice. A foe with no cards cannot repent, after all.

~Lil Kalki

Yeah, the whole band does really seem designed to be played with Creeping Terror. I don't have any Crooked Men yet, but they're on my list of further Tormented to pick up. I'll let you guys know how it goes with Envy and Wrath, and as soon as I get the rest painted up they'll join the party as well!

• Like 1

Took Wrath and Envy today in a 50ss game against Perdita. Corners, Turf War, ALitS, Assassinate, Make them Suffer, Plant Explosives, Bodyguard. It was a hard fought game - by the end, Francisco was the only model left on the board, with 1 wound left. I won 8-6: 3 on Make them Suffer, 2 on Plant Explosives, and 3 on Turf War.

Wrath got Perdita-ed right off the bat, so with only a couple of wounds left at the start of turn 2, I figured I'd make the most of him and just mix it up. Pitched Oathkeeper for Fast, pushed 3" because of Jack's aura, walked, and charged a Death Marshal that was carrying Papa Loco. Sadly, despite flipping a high mask to hit that would've gotten me some healing, I flipped Black Joker on damage on the first hit, and so only managed to put a couple wounds on the Marshal. Wrath was then utterly destroyed by Perdita, but at least by then he was close enough to Jack that I was able to use his death to drop a scheme marker perfectly placed for Plant Explosives.

Envy on the other hand was the star of the show. He shot Nino at the top of turn one, and despite a double negative damage flip, did severe damage and killed him in one shot. Fortunately for me, Nino was my opponent's Bodyguard, and that was what won me the game in the end. He fooled around for a few turns and then murdered Perdita late in the game to spoil Turf War for my opponent.

Lessons learned: Envy is a complete boss. The damage track on his gun (2/5/6) means you want to be focused, which happily he can give himself with his (0) action! Wrath is very squishy, despite being able to heal himself when he deals damage. Next time I think I will hold him back and try to use him to deny enemy scheme runners or the like - seems like he'd be better at that.

Also - Jack Daw and I are just clicking. No matter how badly I feel like I'm playing, I've won every game I've played with him since I switched from proxies to the genuine article at the start of the month.

I'm going to try out the Seven with Daw as well, and see their different uses and synergies. Gluttony and Envy with some crooked men can be nice when there will be a lot of scheme markers, and Greed together with Pride could drain your opponents resources quite quickly, even more if you include Hannah and copy their abilities with Daw :)

Lessons learned: Envy is a complete boss. The damage track on his gun (2/5/6) means you want to be focused, which happily he can give himself with his (0) action! 

I thought that you couldn't target yourself with actions, but maybe that only applies to attack actions?

It's a tactical action that doesn't specify "other," so I think you can target yourself - am I wrong?

I think you are right. I read the parts in the rulebook about the actions, and only attack actions had the clause that restricts a model from targeting itself. So Envy should be able to focus himself. That gives great potential together with I Pay Better, since you can then discard a card for focus, fire a focused shot, take his 0- action and fire a second focused shot. You really only need moderate damage against single targets to get a great effect out of his actions. And woe to the enemies which groups up around a scheme marker... :P

Edited by Erorior
  • Like 1

I think you are right. A read the parts in the rulebook about the actions, and only attack actions had the clause that restricts a model from targeting itself. So Envy should be able to focus himself. That gives great potential together with I Pay Better, since you can then discard a card for focus, fire a focused shot, take his 0- action and fire a second focused shot. You really only need moderate damage against single targets to get a great effect out of his actions. And woe to the enemies which groups up around a scheme marker... :P

Pure filth, I love it!
A model can target itself with a tactical action, as long as it doesn't state other. For instance, Von Schill can target himself with the tactical action Finish the Cur. Envy's action work in the same manner.

• 4 months later...

I started playing daw about a month ago, one of the first additions I got were the Crossroads seven. I see all you guys talking about Envy and Gluttony (which are perfectly sound options.) Personally, I'd have to say I favour Lust, Greed & Pride. 'Feel their Torment' allows daw to use the attacks of both Greed and Pride, which deal 4 damage, unless your opponent doesn't mind spending a lot of resources to prevent this.

The reason I like to exploit this is because it says on both models they can only take it once per turn, which doesn't mean Jack Daw can't take it for them ;)

I love Lust as well, not just because I'm a big TT fan, but also because her movement tricks and manipulation of the opponent's deck, combined with Lady's aura of 'no cheating for you >:) ), makes for some sick 'locks' that my opponents always struggle to escape.

I like Envy because he's a steam powered organ with twin gatling guns. What's not to like?

Lust and Pride would be the two other main units I'd take. Wrath is cool for a cheapish Henchman. I Pay Better can go on him, and all the Crossroads Seven are mercenaries.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2015 at 1:22 PM, EndOfTheLine said:

I started playing daw about a month ago, one of the first additions I got were the Crossroads seven. I see all you guys talking about Envy and Gluttony (which are perfectly sound options.) Personally, I'd have to say I favour Lust, Greed & Pride. 'Feel their Torment' allows daw to use the attacks of both Greed and Pride, which deal 4 damage, unless your opponent doesn't mind spending a lot of resources to prevent this.

The reason I like to exploit this is because it says on both models they can only take it once per turn, which doesn't mean Jack Daw can't take it for them ;)

Whilst this is true Jack and Greed/Pride can not both take the action in the same turn as is specifies 'this action may only be taken once per turn' rather than 'this model ...' or 'once per activation' (which would mean it could be copied or the model could be Obey'd to do it out of activation) so the action can only be taken once per turn regardless of who takes it.

2 hours ago, jonahmaul said:

Whilst this is true Jack and Greed/Pride can not both take the action in the same turn as is specifies 'this action may only be taken once per turn' rather than 'this model ...' or 'once per activation' (which would mean it could be copied or the model could be Obey'd to do it out of activation) so the action can only be taken once per turn regardless of who takes it.

The call out box is on page 39 of the big rulebook, right hand column:

Some Actions note that they can only be taken "once per Turn." This only refers to the individual model. Although the model may only take the Action once per Turn, other models may still take the Action.

Note that whilst You can let both Jack and Pride do the action, if you used Jack to make Pride do the action, then pride can't do the action on his own turn. 

(Based on using the twist and turn upgrade, and the 2 different action on it, one makes the model with the action take the action, the other lets Jack take an action on another models card)

The rules for once per turn are automatically once per turn per model. Its in the rule book. 

The rules of once per activation are once per activation. If you have multiple models performing actions during 1 activation, then they could each do the same once per turn action, but they couldn't each do the same once per activation action. 

You can make a model perform the same once per activation action multiple times during a turn, as long as you only do it once per activation. But once it has performed the once per turn action, it can't do it again that turn. 

I'm not disputing you're correct as the call out box makes it clear.  It's just very poorly written.  Once per turn should mean exactly that and not need a clarification that actually it's once per turn except when another model decides to copy the action and use it themselves.  It would be much better to say 'this model may only use the action once per turn' which would make it far clearer that other models could copy and use it but that model couldn't use it multiple times via Obey type effects (as the FAQ clarifies).

• 1 month later...

So I have been using 5 of the 7 for a bit and I would like to hear your opinions on my assessment of them. 

Wrath is a flank/bully beatstick. He is not survivable enough to rush headlong into an engagement with 1 or 2 simlilarly stat'ed models. Run him up the weak flank and beat down on minions.

If a Rotten Belle is a queen of board control, Lust is a knight. She can really come out of left field and mess your opponents plans up, but then getying her to her next objective may need more planning then a Belle.

Greed is a finisher. She is a model I always try to have a Ram for her trigger. Keep her around your beatstick and make her fill up your purse, 'nuff said. 

Sloth is no Jakunna, but that is not what he wants. He wants to engage an enemy and then have Lust invite that enemy's friend over for a play date. Preferably one that has yet to activate. And then he can show those models the virtues of an afternoon siesta. Or Bunny FuFus them upside the head for the same. What? I have a daughter... 

Envy... Is a trap of a great model. If you do not pay attention and allow home to wander to close to the engagement to soon, since he likes leering over others shiny baubles, he paints a HUGE bullseye on the top of his bowler. That being said, giving his focus to a trapper on the first turn for long range shot to the dome is a great way to ensure a flying gremlins stay the bloody heck away. Dirty, dirty Gremlins...

• Like 1