Sensei Yu is basically the totally best ever awesomesauce

mattbird

Wandering River Style is 50% of the reason to take him, IMO (the other 50% being Disciple). Pushing not only models, but markers too (in decent quantities) wins games. And if you've ever tried it with Misaki... well a fast Misaki, pushed 10" forward, with a target already Stalked for her is a turn-one master killer, especially with recalled training as well.

I've actually just heard about this on that "Schemes and Stones" podcast- sounded kinda crazy. Regardless- He's a superman, but by no means an auto include. There will of course be times that there is straight up a better choice. He can just fill so many roles.

ENinja

Another interesting to note about the Airburst vs Wandering Style is that Airburst targets Df, Wandering Style's action targets Wp.  If you do have both you can target the stat that is weaker for that enemy model you really really just need to move.

One for Lilith, one for Nekima ;)

And I'm afraid I can't claim credit for the Intercontinental Ballistic Misaki (save for that particular name for it), I read about it on this forum a while back.

• 4 weeks later...

I knew Yu had good utility reading his stuff; after fielding him the last couple of games though, he has surpassed anything I thought. That wk7 gives him great mobility, and whether it is pushing your own guys, scheme markers, or disrupting the opponent by pushing his men out of position, Sensei Yu has become pretty much an auto-include for me at this point. If only I could give him fast somehow so that I could walk and double push in a turn. 

I knew Yu had good utility reading his stuff; after fielding him the last couple of games though, he has surpassed anything I thought. That wk7 gives him great mobility, and whether it is pushing your own guys, scheme markers, or disrupting the opponent by pushing his men out of position, Sensei Yu has become pretty much an auto-include for me at this point. If only I could give him fast somehow so that I could walk and double push in a turn. 

The Shadow Emissary's "Rite of Strength" ability will push Yu and give him fast, as long as he has an upgrade attached (which he usually does).

Alternatively, running him in a McCabe crew can get you a lot of free actions; McCabe can Take This with the Badge of Speed to push Yu 4" and give him Nimble, and once Yu has generated his free Nimble AP he can Disciple to copy Take This to give the badge to another model (with a push to go with it), walk and double push all in one. Then the other model has Nimble, and someone, somewhere, has fast as well.

• Like 1

He's an auto-include for me for a few Masters, but not all of them.  His other under-appreciated ability is that his Ml attack ignores Df triggers, and gives out Burning, Poison, or Slow after dealing damage.  The man is a lot more fierce than he appears.

Which is weird, because in the fluff, he's such a nice guy. :)

I would say it's more he wants to cultivate talent. He doesn't care as much for the students that refuse to branch out to other styles.

A couple more of ideas about Sensei Yu (that I think I didn't read them around here yet):

- Although he doesn't have a Charge stat, I like to think he does have a "pseudo-Charge" of 7", which alows him one attack and one Interact action, instead of two attack actions. With Cursed Object or Distract in the table, this may be even better than a real charge. Especially if you give Slow with the attack.

- Sensei Yu with Fermented River Style and Brewmaster. Brewmaster giving him (-) to every duel, Sensei Yu getting easily poisoned, and using with Disciple that other (0) from Brewmaster (I don't recall the name, the one to give Posion +2 and push 6" to the enemy) as a "charge", then make two attack actions with (+) to everything, giving slow and/or poison, ignoring defense trigers, and getting Focus + 2 (wich may be specially useful if you also paid him his own upgrade, to stake free Interactions). It makes him a really interesting combat piece, providing you need to pass two duels, a Simple and a Opposed one, to "charge" :

Anyway, I've played Yu a lot, (but only with Misaki), and the main problem I've found with him, it's that now I don't know how to play without him, which is kind of sad. A Misaki without Yu feels to me now like a decaff Misaki ("what? only 3AP for Misaki? without any pushes? How I am supposed to do anything with that? And she even has to stalk her target herself? Madness!"). Also,my friends are getting real tired of the "two minis killed in the first turn whatever you do", or the "Don't even think in choosing a dropping-markers Scheme". So I think I'll not be including him for a while, at least to learn again how to play xD

• Like 2

In the past few games, I've gotten all aboard the Sensei Yu hype train. Without Shenlong, I'm not finding it hugely essential to take any of the specific Style or his personal upgrades, leaning more on the sheer power of copying (0) and having Airbust/free marker drops. So far I like him with Misaki and Jacob - copying Stalk means he gets to double Airburst turn 1, and copied Mulligan is...my god. Mixed results with Mei Feng and the Wind push, but I attribute that more to early-on inexperience.  Haven't played him with Brewmaster yet, I feel like he's not quite as essential, but Gennosuke's suggestion sounds hilarious. Not sure I'd want him with Yan Lo either, but virtually every other master besides Brewmaster and Yan Lo seem like great pairings for him. It's harder to build a crew without him than with him.

In the past few games, I've gotten all aboard the Sensei Yu hype train. Without Shenlong, I'm not finding it hugely essential to take any of the specific Style or his personal upgrades, leaning more on the sheer power of copying (0) and having Airbust/free marker drops. So far I like him with Misaki and Jacob - copying Stalk means he gets to double Airburst turn 1, and copied Mulligan is...my god. Mixed results with Mei Feng and the Wind push, but I attribute that more to early-on inexperience.  Haven't played him with Brewmaster yet, I feel like he's not quite as essential, but Gennosuke's suggestion sounds hilarious. Not sure I'd want him with Yan Lo either, but virtually every other master besides Brewmaster and Yan Lo seem like great pairings for him. It's harder to build a crew without him than with him.

Disciple doesn't work with Mulligan. No cards are ever discarded due to the wording of Disciple, so you don't get to draw any (though you can use it to put cards from your hand into your deck and shuffle your deck, if you're so inclined).

With Yan Lo he's utterly ridiculous, though. He can copy Yan Lo's excellent heal (10T have a distinct lack of decent ranged target-other-model heals, and are mostly self-healing), or he can copy Ascendance and spend Chi that the Soul Porter has given him to get the Ascendant upgrades. Because who doesn't want a Yu with Impossible to Wound, Incorporeal or Hunpo assault? Having two Terracotta Curses is also pretty bad-ass.

Disciple doesn't work with Mulligan. No cards are ever discarded due to the wording of Disciple, so you don't get to draw any (though you can use it to put cards from your hand into your deck and shuffle your deck, if you're so inclined).

With Yan Lo he's utterly ridiculous, though. He can copy Yan Lo's excellent heal (10T have a distinct lack of decent ranged target-other-model heals, and are mostly self-healing), or he can copy Ascendance and spend Chi that the Soul Porter has given him to get the Ascendant upgrades. Because who doesn't want a Yu with Impossible to Wound, Incorporeal or Hunpo assault? Having two Terracotta Curses is also pretty bad-ass.

Disciple does work with Mulligan. There have been other topics asking for clarification about other aspects of Sensei Yu copying Mulligan (http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/110985-sensei-yu-discipling-mulligan/?sortby=date), but there is no dispute as to whether Disciple can copy Mulligan. The purpose of the wording is to prevent you from discarding Aces to Sensei Yu's copy and then putting them back into your hand with Lynch, it is intended that Sensei Yu is allowed to copy Mulligan, but prevent it from going fully degenerate by returning 2-3 Aces to hand while getting more cards. As is, Aces pitched to the copy will go into the deck.

You can ask in the Rules subforum if you like, but the rules interaction basically has you discarding the cards, but substituting a replacement effect that sends them into your deck.

"Any cards that this model would discard over the course of the action are shuffled into its deck instead after completing the action".  Sensei yu casts disciple for Mulligan. Discards up to 3 cards, then draws the same number. Mulligan is completed, so not the discarded cards are shuffled into the deck. Disciple then resolves. If they didn't want it to work specifically with Mulligan, then they could call out Mulligan as not being a valid target instead of wording it in the way that they did.

Disciple does work with Mulligan. There have been other topics asking for clarification about other aspects of Sensei Yu copying Mulligan (http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/110985-sensei-yu-discipling-mulligan/?sortby=date), but there is no dispute as to whether Disciple can copy Mulligan. The purpose of the wording is to prevent you from discarding Aces to Sensei Yu's copy and then putting them back into your hand with Lynch, it is intended that Sensei Yu is allowed to copy Mulligan, but prevent it from going fully degenerate by returning 2-3 Aces to hand while getting more cards. As is, Aces pitched to the copy will go into the deck.

You can ask in the Rules subforum if you like, but the rules interaction basically has you discarding the cards, but substituting a replacement effect that sends them into your deck.

Ah. Looks like I've been told a minor porkie, then, haha. Happy to hear it, because two Mulligans a turn is ridiculous and awesome. Cheers for the correction!

I've used Sensei with Misaki, Mei Feng, and Shenlong only so far.  Of those 3, it was with Mei Feng that had the smallest impact.  That said, I'm sure Sensei can be very effective with any of the other Masters that have useful (0) actions.  I have to say though that I hadn't thought about using "Mulligan" twice in the same turn.  Nice way to draw better cards!

How does the Soul Porter give Sensei "Chi" exactly?  The Soul Porter can only target an Ancestor model, which Sensei isn't.  Is there a way to make him an "Ancestor" that I'm forgetting about?

I've used Sensei with Misaki, Mei Feng, and Shenlong only so far.  Of those 3, it was with Mei Feng that had the smallest impact.  That said, I'm sure Sensei can be very effective with any of the other Masters that have useful (0) actions.  I have to say though that I hadn't thought about using "Mulligan" twice in the same turn.  Nice way to draw better cards!

Give Mei Feng on Wings of Wind and suddenly Sensei Yu has his 1 AP airburst AND a 0 action push in his arsenal, pure gold. Really, that upgrade is pretty much made for Mei Feng.

Edited by Razhem

I actually did use "Wings of Wind" on her the one game we played.  Maybe it was because the game was set at 40 ss that the returns on the upgrade wasn't as obvious, but I'd be willing to give him another chance with Mei Feng.  I largely prefer Kang as her Henchman, since I bring her crew primarily against Ressers and Arcanists, and occasionally Neverborn though.  Maybe against a different faction, Sensei Yu would work better for her. 

With the Trigger on its :melee attack.

Ah, now I see.  Thanks!

I actually did use "Wings of Wind" on her the one game we played.  Maybe it was because the game was set at 40 ss that the returns on the upgrade wasn't as obvious, but I'd be willing to give him another chance with Mei Feng.  I largely prefer Kang as her Henchman, since I bring her crew primarily against Ressers and Arcanists, and occasionally Neverborn though.  Maybe against a different faction, Sensei Yu would work better for her. 

With the Trigger on its :melee attack.

Ah, now I see.  Thanks!

I use them together against Guild and Arcanists, two factions that rely heavily on Ca, Sh and armour, all of which a Mei Feng that Vents Steam at least once per turn and has Precise Assault can be a game-winning piece against. Yu allows Mei an extra action once in a while to get more Vent Steam actions in should she fail to trigger it from Vapourmancy's triggers, and moves the active aura around the table without having to activate her to do so, giving you more control over when you want to activate Mei Feng and which areas of the table you want to affect with the aura. While she's no Misaki in a melee, she's still good enough to warrant giving the odd 10" push and fast to, though, especially if she's going to want to put a lot of blasts down in one turn, or doesn't have enough scrap markers/constructs in the right place to railwalk to where she needs to go. And since her crews tend to be minion-heavy with plenty of activations, Yu pushing scheme markers around with Wandering River Style can be fantastic for scoring VPs, as always.

I would imagine that Yu + Wandering River Style + Blot the Sky + 2 TT Archers would be an unholy sh*t storm. 14AP (2 moves, 8 1ap sh, 2 2ap sh) from 6AP and 2 cards. I'd be inclined to add that little lot to Mei + Wings, with Mei using Vent Steam. I'm not sure I actually want to try this though as it might not be much fun to play against....

• Like 1

I don't think it's that OP, when you take in consideration a few things:

1. If you're using Mei Feng's "Vent Steam" to protect them, that's one less AP she has for attacking.  Anyone familiar with her knows that she can get into combat easily on any turn, provided there're scrap markers or constructs to Rail Walk onto.  Save for the trigger from Vapormancy, you'd be spending AP using that instead of attacking.

2. 26 points invested into 3 models usually isn't a bad idea, but only Sensei is a Henchman, and TT Archers only have Df 4.  Mei Feng would have to do her job protecting the TT Archers just as much as take down enemy heavy hitters.  Which leaves 24 points to invest in people running Schemes and objectives, upgrades for Mei, and adding to the SS pool.

That all being said, if the rest of the crew was dedicated to Scheme and Strategy running, it wouldn't be too difficult to play against.  Otherwise, I would imagine this crew being a slower moving one, making certain schemes and strategies harder to accomplish.

I don't think it's that OP, when you take in consideration a few things:

1. If you're using Mei Feng's "Vent Steam" to protect them, that's one less AP she has for attacking.  Anyone familiar with her knows that she can get into combat easily on any turn, provided there're scrap markers or constructs to Rail Walk onto.  Save for the trigger from Vapormancy, you'd be spending AP using that instead of attacking.

2. 26 points invested into 3 models usually isn't a bad idea, but only Sensei is a Henchman, and TT Archers only have Df 4.  Mei Feng would have to do her job protecting the TT Archers just as much as take down enemy heavy hitters.  Which leaves 24 points to invest in people running Schemes and objectives, upgrades for Mei, and adding to the SS pool.

That all being said, if the rest of the crew was dedicated to Scheme and Strategy running, it wouldn't be too difficult to play against.  Otherwise, I would imagine this crew being a slower moving one, making certain schemes and strategies harder to accomplish.

Well the 24" bubble from the Archers give you a measure of board control, lessening the burden on mobility and really it's them that you would look to do the majority of your damage with so using Mei's AP for other purposes may not be a bad thing.

However, I have to agree with you in the main, especially in protecting them. As you say 24ss is a heavy price for a set of models that need yet more investment in protecting - which won't leave you an awful lot left for scheme runners or utility options.

Maybe I will try it then for amusement purposes...;).

I have been playing Shenlong and Sensei Yu in a league for the past 6 weeks, and I must say I love the way they work together.  Ive been starting Shenlong off with wandering river, and Yu with low river.  I never seem to switch their upgrades as they seem to work out so well.  I always find Yu more than any other model in Malifaux to need 1 more AP or 1 more action to be stellar.  Im not sure if it is simply aggressive play style where I feel the lack of charge is a huge draw back, but Shenlong giving him fast every turn has made him a super star.  With the release of Yu and Shenlong, the Ten Thunders really have a unique place and playstyle which is great.

I have been playing Shenlong and Sensei Yu in a league for the past 6 weeks, and I must say I love the way they work together.  Ive been starting Shenlong off with wandering river, and Yu with low river.  I never seem to switch their upgrades as they seem to work out so well.  I always find Yu more than any other model in Malifaux to need 1 more AP or 1 more action to be stellar.  Im not sure if it is simply aggressive play style where I feel the lack of charge is a huge draw back, but Shenlong giving him fast every turn has made him a super star.  With the release of Yu and Shenlong, the Ten Thunders really have a unique place and playstyle which is great.

I think this is why I'm so excited about playing him with McCabe- He gets the extra push from take this, and the extra nimble from Badge. He can also then ramp up others with Take this, and his two pushes.

• Like 2