New player in Seattle area

sbravener

Hello,

I just discovered Malifaux thanks to a podcast recommendation (shout out to GarageHammer).  However, I have run into a few snags.  My local game store does not carry the game.  The web store is down.  

This leads me to my questions.  How do I get started?  I have picked up the 2e book off Ebay.  But I have not seen a list of miniatures so do not know what my options are.  

What is the best online area to buy miniatures from?  Are there other background books besides the main rulebook?  What are these waves I keep reading about?

Thanks all for any guidance.

Sean

Welcome to Malifaux, Sean.

Sorry, I cannot help you with where to get stuff. My usual place won't help you much. The online store of Wyrd is down in the aftermath of Gencon, though. It's due to come back up soon.

The Waves 1,2, and 3 are the publication waves of the second edition rules. With the edition change the models were beta tested in 2 waves to keep the amount manageable, and the third one is entirely new models. It only matters if you want to know in which book the models were released.

How to start? Well, you already got the book. It's best imho to look for a Master box you find aesthetically pleasing (I guess you'll find a couple), read up on that in the fan wiki, and come back here to ask if you missed some information. Then buy that box and some additional boxes, and start playing.

There were 4 books in first edition, with a lot of fluff. You can buy them cheaply at DriveThru. Wyrd have begun to make audio versions of that old fluff which is pretty great. For second edition, after the core rulebook, two books were published: Crossroads and Shifting Loyalties. The fluff is ongoing.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean,

Where in Seattle are you located?  Card Kingdom in Ballard carries Malifaux to the best of my knowledge.  There is also a Facebook group, Breaching the Emerald City with about 20 pretty active members and they can help you find stuff locally.

For online shopping, I like Miniature Market, and The Warstore. 

I am located in Tacoma, and just started actually playing (I have been collecting for a long time)...There is a group of about 10+ guys meeting on Sundays at TerraCrux in Tacoma (which is carrying Malifaux)