Wave 3 Gremlins

CarcerDrex

Honestly, I have given up on Sparks and Survivors as an actual choice in the Gremlin faction. IMO they are tools for Mei Fang more than they bring anything really good to the Gremlin faction. Survivors are a big zero when compared to Bugs, Mech Pork might be useful with Ulix but Wild Boars are a stone cheaper and have From the Shadows. I will be skipping on Wave 3 Gremlins unless I see something that they can do better than the current choices in Gremlins.

Comparing Mech Pork to Wild Boars is like comparing a Nurse to a Witchling Stalker or something. They are completely different models with utterly different functions - the only thing common between them is that both are Pigs.

Mech Pork has Armor, Df 6, and Bayou Two-card making it very durable. Rage Machine vs Bayou Rampage + On Edge is utterly different. Mech Pork also has Ml 6 and Bayou Two-card making it far, far more reliable in actually hitting something.

I'm very excited about them.

Slightly off topic but where can I find these bets cards?

Bets cards?

Comparing Mech Pork to Wild Boars is like comparing a Nurse to a Witchling Stalker or something. They are completely different models with utterly different functions - the only thing common between them is that both are Pigs.

Mech Pork has Armor, Df 6, and Bayou Two-card making it very durable. Rage Machine vs Bayou Rampage + On Edge is utterly different. Mech Pork also has Ml 6 and Bayou Two-card making it far, far more reliable in actually hitting something.

I'm very excited about them.

Bets cards?

Sorry swype sucks, I meant beta. 

Well, I finally got to flip through Shifting Loyalties this evening and I'll post my thoughts now that I've been able to see the final cards.

Here's my thoughts and pros/cons lists.

Lucky

:+fate

• Sturdy with Hard to Kill, Armor and Defense 6.
  • Ability to hand out Slow at range.
  • Good melee attack, :melee3 and triggers that can mess with enemy positioning (and LoS given that Lucky's on a 50mm base and Ht3).
  • Potentially quite mobile if you get lucky with :mask flips. Walk 6 and at least has (0) push albeit with TN.
  • She's Out of Control - Only :melee1 and bad damage track but MI6. Means you can really go all-in.

:-fate

• Pretty expensive for the faction.
  • Dead In Their Tracks requires you to spend 1AP on a 10ss model to deny enemy 1AP. Expensive with that in mind.
  • Very few useful candidates for Bayou is a Harsh Mistress.
  • Destined pay-off is extremely random.

This model's probably the most complicated, especially because it depends on what master you're taking. Seems like it almost wants to be a beatstick. Not quite sure when I'd hire it or what niche it fills exactly. 

The missing Gremlin characteristic is the biggest issue for me. Spending a fifth of your soulstones on a model that can't benefit from so many abilities seems like a questionable investment. If I want a big beatstick, Mancha Roja can fit the bill while benefiting from other model's abilities. Otherwise, I'm not sure what Lucky should be aiming to do. 

Sparks

This guy's an odd fellow.

• Accomplice - good synergy with Wind 'Em Up.
  • Hostile Work Environment - Potentially really powerful, albeit crew dependent and limited by Sparks's Ht1 (Stilts candidate?).
  • Metal Platin'
    • lasts until target's next activation and target/scrap could be up to 12" apart depending on Sparks's positioning.
    • while :mask cards are already sought after in Gremlins, it gives Sparks a nice targeted push, provided he can find scrap (and isn't limited to non-Leaders).
  • MI6 and :melee2 with decent damage spread on what seems like a support model.
  • While :mask is highly sought after in Gremlins, it turns Metal
  • Packed with Explosives - Seems really useful in strategies that encourage the enemy to group up.

• Metal Platin' - there's not going to be a lot of scrap lying about, even with robopig.
  • Needs :tome to pull off the combo on non-construct model.
  • Useless without scrap which requires Robopig (1 scrap per turn) or Gremlins to die.
  • No Reckless and can't target self with Metal Platin'.
  • No ranged attacks with a damage flip.
  • Only two models in the faction can be wound up without Metal Platin' and only one seems worthwhile.

I'm really confused by Sparks's game plan. He can only make a maximum of one model per turn Fast which can't be himself and he has no way to generate more AP for himself. Apart from that, his only other function is to add :blast to damage flips. 

I feel like 7ss would be better spent on Raphael, Burt or another Enforcer around that price range who don't need scrap to get 3AP and can likely contribute more with shooting attacks. Similarly, I'd likely be better buying two Bayou Gremlins rather than winding up Survivors, surely?

Gluttony

I was quite worried about Gluttony given the amount of changes he went through but I really like him.

• His version of the Crossroads aura is quite good and potentially punishing. Not great if Distract or Cursed Object since enemies can interact while engaged.
  • Hard to Wound - speaks for itself.
  • 40mm base means his aura is slightly bigger than some of the other Crossroads 7.
  • Rhythm to Those Who Hunger - I think this ability's really neat although its damage isn't guaranteed. This allows you to drag enemy models out of position and deal damage. The trigger's also really interesting and ensures the model takes 2 damage (before reduction).
  • Feast! - Although suited, the requirements aren't too high and a decent range of 6. Mobile models like Skeeters are probably good targets.
  • Neat defensive trigger although it requires the ever-valuable :mask.

• Dependent on not only the schemes flipped but your enemy's choice of schemes.
  • Mad with Hunger
    • Potentially a liability for your own scheme running!
    • Requires follow-up AP investment.

I like him. He's a bit simple and focused but anti-scheme marker shenanigans are very much welcome. It seems like he'd be happiest in a crew with more cheap models so they can make the most of Mad with Hunger and Feast. 

Survivors

I was really hoping these guys would end up with something extra.

• Reckless - 3AP always welcome but not much to share.
  • Armor and Hard to Kill on Minions, tempered by 4 Wounds.
  • Relatively good damage track and :melee2.
  • Potentially interesting aura to reduce mobility of enemy models.
  • Don't require Scrap for Wind 'Em Up. Potentially Fast and Reckless.
  • :tome trigger is after resolving, no need to actually win the duel.
  • Native faction source of scrap for Sparks.
  • Shooting remains MI so works with Mah's Ram chores.

• Hard to Kill won't last long at 4 Wounds, especially if you want to use Reckless.
  • Walk 4. Blech.
  • Have to flip for shooting attacks and in doing so, sacrifice their :melee. i.e. no Reckless, shoot, then charge.
  • Probably dependent on Slop Haulers.
  • Aura requires :mask and there are probably better candidates.
  • Defense 5.

I really want to like Survivors but they seem to be little other than a novelty. A potential chance of Reckless and Fast from Sparks could lead to some crazy shenanigans I guess. They're cheaper than Shinobi and Bushwhackers so perhaps they don't need to do as much to earn their place. I mean, maybe you could throw a couple in a crew for general purposes.

Whereas the other minions have a clear purpose or more obvious synergies, I'm not sure exactly when Survivors would make it onto a list. 

Mechanized Porkchop

• Pig with all the goodness that keyword brings.
  • Only reliable source of scrap for Sparks.
  • Defense 6 with Armor 1 which is lovely.
  • If you have a spare Tome, free Burning. Note that Sparks relies heavily on Tomes, however.
  • Bayou Two Card! 
    • A good candidate for a Somer crew if you're taking his conflux.

• Walking Rage Machine is not a choice - models will take 1 damage whether they want to or not.
  • Really bad :crow trigger. A measly +1 damage in exchange for ending activation. You don't want this to happen on your first AP!
  • Missing self-healing of other pigs and no pig-charge. However, no Set'er Off.
  • Not edible.

The pig's main issue is being at a price point that staple Gremlin models sit at. However, it has a great statline, B2C and is a no-brainer for Sparks. I think it's a real pity that it has no synergy with Survivors and in fact, you'll likely want to keep them away so they can charge without taking the damage and wont suffer from the Flaming Porkchops aura. 

Seems like a decent model overall. 

Is anyone not down on Survivors and can see a reason to hire Sparks?

• Like 2

Good stuff, Vidd! Thank you for posting that.

Some comments.

• It's ML, not MI (with a lowercase L - Melee) ;):P
  • I feel that Emissary's biggest weakness is that it is neither a Pig nor a Gremlin so most of the Faction's synergy won't work. 10SS is a lot for such a piece.
  • Stilts won't help Spark's Aura much since Ht 1 and Ht 2 are practically the same wrt LOS unless the opponent is mostly Ht 1 as well.
  • I'm not sure whether you're appreciating Hostile Work Environment enough. It's huge! A big area and completely shuts down some Masters. But it is of course a bit luck dependent upon whether the opponent has appropriate models that are hindered by the aura.
  • Not sure what you mean by only two models in the Factions being able to be wound up. Mech Pork and Survirors? Because there's Pigapult, Whiskey Golem, and, wait for it, Lucky Effigy! But out of those I would say that Mech Pork, Whiskey Golem and Pigapult are all nice with Fast.
  • Finally, he sort of has a way of generating extra AP in the form of a second (0) Action. I mean, Francois and Raphael don't have any useful (0) Actions, so compared to those Sparks gets sorta kinda extra AP.
  • So for his game plan, I see him getting stuck in with that wrench and projecting his annoying Aura. I just wish he was a tiny bit more durable. And I do agree that he has extremely fierce competition and am not sure whether he is worth it, really.
  • Like 1

Thanks, Math.

I was typing that up post-midnight after travelling early so a few mistakes slipped in*. :D 

*Can't excuse that Ml one. How long have I been doing that?

• Yes, I agree on the Emissary. Having a 10ss model that has no direct synergy with anything else seems like a big gamble. Unlike, say McTavish, it doesn't have a sub-group of models it works with either. I guess the question is, is it useful enough on its own at 10ss to justify the cost over something like Lenny, Mancha Roja, the Whiskey Golem etc? I can't deny it's potentially very mobile but apart from that, I don't know when I'd choose it.
    • I actually think it would be an interesting inclusion in a Sparks list. Somer's conflux works with the Mechanized Porkchop and giving Lucky receiving another AP for its melee attack could be devastating. Ends up pretty expensive, though.

Sparks

• Sparks's Hostile Work Environment does seem incredible but I just imagine it could be a toss-up whether it's useful or not. I'll admit this might be a lot stronger than I give it credit for.
  • He can potentially combo a (0) action but really, it's unlikely to ever be anything other than Metal Platin' -> Wind 'Em Up given the scrap requirements. I'm mostly concerned about the lack of mobility if he chooses to use Packed with Explosives.
  • Yeah, I had forgotten about potential Pig-a-pult and Whiskey Golem shenanigans. Pig-a-pult is potentially a very nice candidate and the Whiskey Golem becomes very mobile.
  • Your game plan's probably the right idea. With a decent melee, the best use of him is probably swinging his wrench and giving allies Fast while he uses Plant with Explosives. The best use of Plant with Explosives, I imagine, is models with Dumb Luck. The damage track becomes even scarier with blasts.

With all of these models I feel like it's not obvious in regards to when you'd want to take them.

• Like 2

• With all of these models I feel like it's not obvious in regards to when you'd want to take them.

I agree. It seems that they don't give new answers as such like most of the other factions got. They are just sorta random options but ones you wouldn't likely miss if they weren't there. Gluttony is kinda the only one that has a very obvious place and use. Mech Pork kinda as well (in that it is very durable in a Faction not noted for such).

I think that the most obvious Master to pair with Sparks is Mah as she can really use the extra Armor and the blasts could be very fun with her (due to her Pushes and damage track). She can also boost his melee and her general Push and big melee distraction shenanigans likely combo nicely with Sparks' Aura. But she also likes very much Francois and Trixie and Mancha Roja so I'm not sure how many Henchmen she's going to be taking. Especially since you'd probably like to bring a Mech Pork as well when taking Sparks.

Of course Boomer with 4/4:blast:blast/8:blast:blast:blast or Lightning Jump with 2/3:blast:blast:blast/5:blast:blast:blast:blast are good for a laugh at least.

• Like 1