Focusing on terror

dancater

Question

Gentlefolks

So I think I know the answer to this but checking to be sure.

I am facing terror inducing models and it's the brown pants time all round. I wish to make some sort of action but am out of cheat cards and confidence is not really high. [so I can't Defensive Stance and try to escape or road block as no card to discard].

Can I (assuming 2AP available fresh activation generic model) in engagement range of terror model

• Focus action, this is neither a walk nor an action against the terror model, so no terror check
  • Declare an attack or similar action which results in a terror check
  • :+fate the terror check because it is the next duel I have to take
  • Assuming the two card gods are with me pass the terror and perform my declared action against my target as a normal duel
  • As a side note if I fail the terror check I become paralyzed, lose any further actions and AP and then at the end of my round I lose the paralyzed condition and could (theoretically if everything remains in stasis) rinse and repeat the sequence above. We were playing that terror during a models turn means they are paralyzed for the duration of that turn and not also into the following turn (or in a reactivate activation later if it was available).

I think this is perfectly possible and reasonable and it makes sense to me fluff/theme wise that a model could focus their Will to try and overcome their terror as well.

While I'm thinking of this is it possible to Focus then declare a Walk action to disengage and have a :+fate  to the disengaging (the next duel in effect) defensive flip (one time of course) to try and escape (where if I failed I'd then be forced to make a neutral flip terror) as a way to bypass the Defensive Stance needs to discard a card and I'm out quandary?

Again on my reading this seems possible.........

However I will admit to often being wrong, hence I'm checking with the voting public and collective pool of experts (and maybe if necessary a rules mod).

Thanks all

17 answers to this question

Focus only adds :+fate to your Attack and damage flips.

As for Paralyse, the best way to think of it is adding a "token" to your model that goes the -next- time you activate. If you had a way to re-activate in the same turn, then that would remove the "token" and you would be fine for the next turn.

Paralyse is -really- strong.

I'm 90% sure that is right.

Looking at the rules for Actions, the timing sequence breaks down like so:

1. Declare Action & Spend AP.
  2. Perform Duels
  3. Resolve Results.

The very last paragraph for "Declare Action & Spend AP" says:

Sometimes a target will have special Abilities (such as Terrifying) that requires a duel in response to being targeted. These duels are handled now, after Ap is spent and targets are declared.

In other words, the duel for Terror happens before the step where you resolve the duels for the action:

If the Action requires a duel to be successful, the model now performs the duel (see pg. 30-33).

And Focus specifies that it provides the positive flip to the Action's duel and damage flip:

(1) Focus: The model gains the following Condition until the end of the Turn: "Focused +1: This model may remove this Condition when declaring an Action to gain a number of + :+fate  to the Action's duel and damage flip equal to the value of the Focused Condition removed."

So, short version:  Duels caused by other abilities (such as Terror) aren't "the Action's duel and damage flip" and thus don't benefit from Focused. 

Focus only adds :+fate to your Attack and damage flips.

As for Paralyse, the best way to think of it is adding a "token" to your model that goes the -next- time you activate. If you had a way to re-activate in the same turn, then that would remove the "token" and you would be fine for the next turn.

Paralyse is -really- strong.

I'm 90% sure that is right.

Paralyzed is removed immediately when the afflicted model ends an activation. If paralyzed before activating, it will do nothing when activating other than removing the condition as your activation end immediately. If the model gains paralyzed during its activation, it ends its activation immediately and removes the condition.

• Like 1

Thanks folks

Clarifies the situation.

We got the paralyze mechanic right then.

Was hoping for the focus trick as a lessening of the terror of Terror; but alas it is not to be  :angry: . I found myself forfeiting an entire models turn because I had no cards to cheat or discard and was in engagement with a terror causing model which would heal if I failed terror, I needed an '8' flip to pass and confidence was not high so forfeited the activation to in effect prevent the healing. The model then walked out of engagement because I would not disengage strike with either of two models for the same reason.

Terror is.

And it should be noted I squeezed out a narrow win in this game with an Ironsides crew (10 to 9) where I knew what the opponent crew was. The poor person who played against the list first (Seamus with multiple Hanged) with their Guild (Sonnia), lets just say it was a brutal and painful introduction to the mechanic of "can't", with a hideous highlight being flipping the BJ on terror against a wide open burning Seamus with Samael  planning to fan the trigger. It was difficult to watch  :blast .

Yeah, Horror can be harsh, but usually is more of a deterrent. Note that Sonnia gets a :+fate to Horror duels against Burning models.

She does? How?

I could not find this rule on review, I have never played her and am unfamiliar with her tricks, this rule was news to me...

She does? How?

I could not find this rule on review, I have never played her and am unfamiliar with her tricks, this rule was news to me...

She gets :+fate to duels during Ca actions against Wp 6 models (which includes the Horror duel). Forget burning, I blundered.

It's why Leveticus's ability to take wounds to buff his duels is so strong because he gets :+fate twists to all duels during the action.  Though of course when it's me the second card is the Black Joker!  Twice.  In the same game!

That's what we call karma  ;)

• Like 2

Gentlefolks

While I'm thinking of this is it possible to Focus then declare a Walk action to disengage and have a :+fate  to the disengaging (the next duel in effect) defensive flip (one time of course) to try and escape (where if I failed I'd then be forced to make a neutral flip terror) as a way to bypass the Defensive Stance needs to discard a card and I'm out quandary?

You are incorect about having to take the terror check if you fail to disengage.

Page 44 big book.

When disengaging you declare that you wish to take a walk action and leave an enemy models engagement range. The enemy model gets to perform a free Attack Action with any close combat Attack which the disengaging model is in range of. If the Attack hits, the disengaging model may not perform the Walk Action, although it must still spent the the required AP.   

You do not take the terror check after failing to disengage. 

• Like 1