August 3rd - The Other Side

Lucidicide

Why main worry, which admittedly is good one to have, is that I'm not sure if I will have time for two awesome miniatures games from Wyrd.

Anything that builds upon the Malifaux universe is great. I'm currently thinking how I can get cash to get the TTB books even though I may not even get to play it.

• Like 1

We finally get to see more of Earth! This is what excites me the most. New Factions, lore-crossovers between the two games, more material for TTB.

I honestly couldn't care less about the size or the model count but something ala Warmahordes would please me.

My body and my wallet are ready!!

• Like 1

Agree completely. There is, realistically, only so much growth Malifaux can take as a tabletop game. Branching out with the RPG was a great way to keep the franchise growing without overwhelming us. This game looks like it has the potential to do the same, just as a separate timeline. This is how companies grow, profit, and continue to make awesome toys for us. Everybody being afraid of it is just going to hurt the new product - why not be positive instead?

There's so little to go on, and yet so many reasons to be hyped!

Our writer had a chance to talk with Aaron directly about it, and while it's not much, it's enough to know it's going to be a larger experience than Malifaux, and that they are actively working on this to get to us relatively quickly.  It was related to Warmahordes in terms of scale, but again, Wyrd always has an ace up the sleeve.

Something I find interesting about the interview that was had with Aaron: cards are going to be a factor, but it wasn't pinned down that it would be a poker deck.  That could open some interesting doors.

http://www.spritesanddice.com/2015/08/gencon-reports-other-side.html

MMmmm 2 things spring to mind. Will these games be Cross compatible? Ala Warmachine and Hordes forces being able to face each other?

2nd thing.... What happened to the Breach? Where are all this monsters coming from? Has earth been invaded by the neverborn or other gribbily things? Is this even the same timeline?

Interesting. I must say that I'm a bit worried that a mass combat game at Wyrd mini prices sounds a bit extreme. Wyrd minis are also rather time-consuming to put together and paint which also makes me a bit worried. 15mm scale would've solved both of these problems but if it is not to be then it isn't.

• Like 2

Honestly, isn't it a bit too early?

I mean, at least in Italy, Malifaux community is growing but it is still small. If players have to "divide" between 2 games, dosn't it risk to become self-defeating?

Also, new players (that are not knowing Malifaux ) will have the impression that Malifaux is the introduction to "The Other Side", so they will be scared by the need of learning 2 games and to have at the end to buy (and spend money) lot of mini for the "real big game".

Maybe in other countries the situation is different... 

For me personally I paint so slowly so painting 6-7 models over a month is all I can do. Therefore Malifaux is great for me. However I wish Wyrd every success with a larger game and I'm sure I'd buy some of these just because the sculpts will be nice.  I'm interested where they will go with mechanics, I was just thinking about having elements of poker, like making particular hands triggers effects or their strength, how well bluffs would affect tactics I have no idea. 

Although the games won't be cross compatible, I would hope that for the major characters there would be rules for fielding them in either game. So a leader in the Other Side, would have a stat card as an enforcer in Malifaux and that a master in Malifaux could be fielded in The Other Side.  I guess even if that was just in the context of a story encounter.  

I'm going to begin the wild speculation - Kickstarter? A safe way to get a feel the popularity of your product and very popular with companies. But can be a rep killer if things go wrong or delays happen. 

Maybe lead with a boxed set near the start and not several years in? I know that when I started getting in to Malifaux I would have loved a starter set and it actually took over a year for me to play a game because it was "okay I need two crew boxes, two fate decks, the rule book and terrain". For me at the time it was a bit like "I need to pay at least £50+ on top of the £50 on crew boxes just to start this.  

Around £60 - £75 seems to be the range for starter sets in the UK. The Malifaux starter set is around £45 so if a set that had 8-10 models per side and essential rules - I guess I would expect to pay around £65 - I guess that's like the warmachine starter boxes.  If it was like operation Icestorm where you had less models but a play mat and card terrain and 16 models in the box where there is a big model on either side then I would pay around £75-80 I guess. 

Bit of a brain dump, apologies, hope it's interesting to someone!

• Like 2

I absolutely agree with most of what you said. Malifaux is an incredible game, but it can be hard to shanghai new players, due to the fluctuating demands of the different masters/factions, so a bit of babysitting is required. And as an incredible slow painter; more minis would be bad :D

But to keep it on topic: Let's see what happens, and hope we get some new information sooner than usual, or the theories will run rampant! :)

Interesting. I must say that I'm a bit worried that a mass combat game at Wyrd mini prices sounds a bit extreme. Wyrd minis are also rather time-consuming to put together and paint which also makes me a bit worried. 15mm scale would've solved both of these problems but if it is not to be then it isn't.

Yeah I agree entirely. 

Honestly, isn't it a bit too early?

I mean, at least in Italy, Malifaux community is growing but it is still small. If players have to "divide" between 2 games, dosn't it risk to become self-defeating?

Also, new players (that are not knowing Malifaux ) will have the impression that Malifaux is the introduction to "The Other Side", so they will be scared by the need of learning 2 games and to have at the end to buy (and spend money) lot of mini for the "real big game".

Maybe in other countries the situation is different... 

I don't think so... Malifaux has got a logo that says "I'm the main game!", The Other Side's one says "I'm something else".

I'm actually cool, another game can exist without interfering with Malifaux. Many aspects that come from a massive war environment cannot be implemented in a skirmish, based on individuals, narrow environment (first of all sorta small time jump ahead, from the picture). Many of the characters would lose a lot of importance in a World War against aliens (who would care about Seamus and his despicable hobbies, while you need to stay down in a trench?). The demand for this kind of stuff will be satisfied by The Other Side, while keeping Malifaux safe.