Rampant Unfounded Speculation - The Other Side

My personal feeling is that names like Warcraft, Warhammer, etc do give you a sense of fighting, yes, but they are also not even remotely evocative beyond that. Warhammer! It's about war!

The Other Side, while not descriptive, are much more evocative. When you hear a name like The Other Side, it brings questions to your mind -- and we want people asking questions.

That said, it's good to hear others' thoughts.

• Like 3

The "war-" deal is definently overused - "large scale malifaux game" sounds more like "Earthside Invasion" - but that's a little cheesy.

Honestly, I would have just kept it simple - "Malifaux Unleased" - it keeps the recognition with the franchise yet insinuates "large-scale." Plus players could easily shorthand it into "Unleashed" to avoid confusion. Pretty solid.

The Other Side has a board gamey feel to it - much like "Last Night on Earth" - not particularly awe inspiring.

But who cares - this is all just figurative talk - the title is locked in... moving on.

...buuuuuut yeeeeaaah - it still bugs me and now that I've thought about it like that it can't be undone from my mind. :D

- crush_jansen - Some people might be intrigued but with the shit ton of franchises out right now it might also just get straight out dismissed - like I did. Pretty much my first reaction was "The Other Side - whatever." First reactions don't lie. Okay I'm really done with this now, haha.

• Like 1

30 to 80mm bars...

Epic-scale Malifaux?!

*squee*

FWIW, "bars" is likely autocorrect for "bases" (similar location of letters on a standard QWERTY keyboard), easy to miss if autocorrect changes it without asking for confirmation.

Color me interested, though I do hope it uses proper mechanics for the scale of the game.  

One of my huge pet peeves for Warmachine/Hordes is that there is constant pressure to play with more and more models, but the game still resolves around individual model activation resolutions (even when activating a "unit"), so can take stupidly long to play if neither player offers up an easy assassination.  This 'problem' is compounded by having certain extremely simple game mechanics that would otherwise suggest a quick game.

• Like 1

Yeah, I only played one game of Warmahordes and it was enough for me.  I really disliked the emphasis on your leader (caster?) and it basically just seemed to be about killing them and not a lot else.  I love the tactical mission based games of Malifaux and I really hope that carries across to TOS (it may need to be altered somewhat given the larger nature but could definitely be included in some way).