Rampant Unfounded Speculation - The Other Side

A leaflet popped up at Gencon advertising a product called "The Other Side", seen here:

KXLfGlo.jpg

I think it's going to be either a new expansion for Malifaux, or an expansion for TtB. I base this on how the humans appear - their style of dress is very similar to Guild dress, and their weapons seem appropiate for Malifaux technology - the rifle, the pistols, the Gatling gun. The robot in the background looks a *lot* larger than anything we've seen before - it'd have to be a 120mm base to be represented in-game I think - but I don't think it's necessarily out of the question. The beasties also have a Neverborn tinge to them.

It could be an entirely distinct property, but I think it looks so close to elements of the Malifaux setting that it'd be a very big surprise if it was something new and unrelated.

As for "The Other Side"? Maybe it recounts the initial incursion into Malifaux, but with that robot in the background, I'm guessing some new Breaches are going to pop up on Earth - there are others already extant besides the main Breach, we know that - but this is gonna be major. It might even be induced by the Neverborn.

This might seem odd, but could someone please post me a copy of that flyer? I'd totally appreciate it. :)

Anyway whatever it is, it looks very cool. It's clearly set on earth, but whether it is set in the same universe as Malifaux isn't clear. The technology (robot!) looks a little too advanced for Malifaux but then again, Malifaux technology seems to be all over the place depending on where you look.

If they're promoting it this far out (assuming a Gencon 2016 release... Another reason for me to go) then i get the impression that it's going to be bigger than a card or board game. Naturally I'm hoping for a new mini based game, partly because Wyrd does awesome minis and I'm running out of Malifaux to paint! ;)

I don't possess tweet access. Link?

https://twitter.com/ericjgames

There ya go. So far all we know is that it's a minis game and it's set in the same universe as Malifaux (except on Earth, as per the flyer). 

If anyone can get out of him the planned scale (ie. number of models per side, possibly also whether it's 28mm or something else), that'd be awesome. ;)

Slightly more info from Dawn McCormack Plunge on Facebook;

"It is more battle style. It is Warmahordes scale in Malifaux Universe. It is card driven mechanics but not compatible with Malifaux"

- Apparently sourced from a "Mysterious Emmissary". ;)

So probably around 25-50 models max then.

• Like 1

Just looking at the photo, it does look like it could be a War Machine style. Caster, large monster, and troops. Wyrd really is putting on the big boy pants in the gaming world. This would make sense, I mean, think about, what is left for Malifaux? More factions, more masters? That would be a mistake as we are all barely getting down what we got at the moment. Moving to some new game could be the best idea. 

• Like 1

It will not be compatible.

I wonder if this just means that the rules are totally different or that the miniatures are totally different, which I guess would mean scale since it's the same setting. Though to ramble on I guess it could be same scale but a different time period.

Honestly, I find it hard to get excited about this.  Wyrd already has several games that it doesn't support (Kings of Artiice; Shadownrun; Puppet Wars; Evil Baby Orphanage) while TTB has only just come out (and it is heavily supported at the moment but will it stay that way?).  Darkness Comes Rattling has not dropped yet and we are still waiting for Malifaux miniatures from the first book to be released let alone the second and the third has now just been released.  Feels like Wyrd are spreading themselves too thin at the moment.

• Like 4

To be honest Wyrd can release as many games as they want...I still only play Malifaux, and likely this new one!

But I get what you are saying..the support for all of these may dry up or become rushed.

However, I am thinking that Malifaux has probably gone almost as far as it needs to..apart from a few new minions etc from time to time..They have the basic game, a campaign system, rules for Avatars etc out now so there isn't really any much further to expand it.

It seems to me like their energy will go into TTB and The Other Side over the next couple of years.

Honestly, I find it hard to get excited about this.  Wyrd already has several games that it doesn't support (Kings of Artiice; Shadownrun; Puppet Wars; Evil Baby Orphanage) while TTB has only just come out (and it is heavily supported at the moment but will it stay that way?).  Darkness Comes Rattling has not dropped yet and we are still waiting for Malifaux miniatures from the first book to be released let alone the second and the third has now just been released.  Feels like Wyrd are spreading themselves too thin at the moment.

I kinda agree. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I find it hard to get excited about this.  Wyrd already has several games that it doesn't support (Kings of Artiice; Shadownrun; Puppet Wars; Evil Baby Orphanage) while TTB has only just come out (and it is heavily supported at the moment but will it stay that way?). 

Why would you "support" one off board/card games? I mean sure some such games are designed for a boatload of expansions, but is hardly the default. Most only get expansions if the original game is highly successful in the first place.

My magic eight ball predicts that TTB will see support as long as it's profitable. So if by "stay that way" you mean until the sun goes red giant and engulfs the earth in ~5 billion years that seems highly unlikely.

• Like 2