July 13th - Brotherhood of the Rat

Lucidicide

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The updated release date on online stores lists this as supposed to have been released Dec 18th and I pre-ordered it at my LGS, but there's no place online currently showing any in stock. (I didn't order it during Wyrd's Black Friday sale, since I didn't want to screw over my LGS with a sitting order - but it was kinda disappointing seeing people that got it already).

Any idea when I should be following up w/ the LGS I ordered it from? I called today and they're not listing their distributors as even having them in stock.

On December 21, 2015 at 10:26 PM, Palooka said:

We have them in Australia. I suspect something is up with your LGS or their distributor.

If it were just my LGS, I wouldn't necessarily worry that something was up. Mostly that it's also big sellers like The Warstore (http://www.thewarstore.com/product102845.html) and Miniature Market (http://www.miniaturemarket.com/wyr20902.html) that are still listing them as not in stock that has/had me wondering.

By all indications, the box was supposed to be generally available to retail Dec. 18th

I'd love to give Hamelin a go (even have the old metal sets for additional rats/alt sculpts) but I kinda would like the Rat Catchers and esp. the Rat Kings. 

I'm in the same boat - I ordered my brotherhood box here at the FLGS at the same time I ordered the Xroads Seven and the Hodgepodge Effigy hoping I could get them all in time to earn my Bete Noir for the month of November. Alas, I just recieved my Ashes & Dust from the black friday sale but the brotherhood box still hasn't even shipped out yet, according to the store manager! :( At least I'm not without alternatives, been practicing obey hamelin with I Pay Better, Piper and Survivalist. Can't really give the Plague a go without the extra rat models.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Khoregard said:

I'm in the same boat - I ordered my brotherhood box here at the FLGS at the same time I ordered the Xroads Seven and the Hodgepodge Effigy hoping I could get them all in time to earn my Bete Noir for the month of November. Alas, I just recieved my Ashes & Dust from the black friday sale but the brotherhood box still hasn't even shipped out yet, according to the store manager! :( At least I'm not without alternatives, been practicing obey hamelin with I Pay Better, Piper and Survivalist. Can't really give the Plague a go without the extra rat models.

Not sure if you're missing much anyway. When I do get games in I have been using Hamelin and honestly I don't think Plague Hamelin is all that great - feels like too much work - and it makes my head hurt - looking after all your activations is annoying and I hate using beads and shit like that. Unfortunately, Obey Hamelin just feels like a shitty Zoraida - I'm a little disappointed actually - especially with the Mysterious Emissary coming out to buff Zoraida tenfold - don't see me playing Hamelin very often.

To stay on topic: Rat Kings are some of the best designed recent models and I'm slightly disappointed that the rat catchers are pretty much the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daniello_s said:

My box arrived right before holidays so today is the assembly day (I hope) :)

I'm hoping mine comes to my FLGS Soon™. I'm undecided about playing against Leveticus as The Dreamer in an upcoming friendly tournament in a few weeks and was hoping to maybe use Hamelin as an alternative. Just going to take my lumps.

I'm thinking Rat Factory Hamelin would be a good counter to Levi's Abomination Machine, but I'm an inexperienced player and I probably should get more comfortable playing quicker so I don't bore my opponent to tears when I do get The Brotherhood box.

It seems that Wyrd releases all box-sets to LGS first, for the first month of release. Then after that, it becomes available on the online stores. So if something releases in December, expect it to be available online in January. 

If your LGS makes their orders online for a lot of their product, instead of going directly through a distributor, than they may be waiting like the rest of the online shoppers. One of the LGS around me does this, and it's annoying. The store isn't big enough to purchase in bulk from any reasonable source, so the owner orders stuff online from like Miniature Market and carries a small stock in store.

• Like 1

Are the rats different than the ones in The Plagued box, or are they the same sprue of 4?

4 hours ago, Spike0738 said:

It seems that Wyrd releases all box-sets to LGS first, for the first month of release. Then after that, it becomes available on the online stores. So if something releases in December, expect it to be available online in January. 

If your LGS makes their orders online for a lot of their product, instead of going directly through a distributor, than they may be waiting like the rest of the online shoppers. One of the LGS around me does this, and it's annoying. The store isn't big enough to purchase in bulk from any reasonable source, so the owner orders stuff online from like Miniature Market and carries a small stock in store.

They said they're not in stock with their "distributors" yet, but there's one box reserved when it comes in. I dunno.

I'm not bothered by ordering through the store, because it's a good place run by decent folk and some of our little group play Malifaux up there weekly (4 of us playing and a new guy with a Latigo box watching on Saturday). By the same token I'm a little disappointed, because I could've paid full price to Wyrd during Black Friday just like I paid full price to my FLGS and I could've been at least trying out Hamelin with all his synergy themed models now. Oh well.

On 28.12.2015 at 10:05 PM, Tinweasel said:

Are the rats different than the ones in The Plagued box, or are they the same sprue of 4?

Seems like they're the same. BotR has 8 rats though, so double what's in the plaque cometh box. The rat kings are marvelous but same sculpt. Not even mirrored. :(

On ‎2‎.‎1‎.‎2016 at 9:57 AM, Molja said:

Seems like they're the same. BotR has 8 rats though, so double what's in the plaque cometh box. The rat kings are marvelous but same sculpt. Not even mirrored. :(

Well that's a huge disappointment! :(

I guess these are the first minis that Wyrd is selling as identical. Really hoping this won't become a trend.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I guess these are the first minis that Wyrd is selling as identical. Really hoping this won't become a trend.

Steam Arachnids have 3 unique sculpts on a 6 model sprue. While you can switch up the legs to some degree they'll all look rather similar regardless. So I guess if there is a trend it's that cheap summoned models wont get that many different sculpts.

1 minute ago, Bengt said:

Steam Arachnids have 3 unique sculpts on a 6 model sprue. While you can switch up the legs to some degree they'll all look rather similar regardless. So I guess if there is a trend it's that cheap summoned models wont get that many different sculpts.

Ah, true. Those are a bit of a special case in that they "should" looks rather alike due to fluff so it isn't as annoying as with the rats. Still, I can forgive them for the rats as making all that many unique sculpts of them might be seen as taxing (plus, I will be proxying Rats with ArcWorlde rats anyway) but identical Rat Kings is really a big bummer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Ah, true. Those are a bit of a special case in that they "should" looks rather alike due to fluff so it isn't as annoying as with the rats. Still, I can forgive them for the rats as making all that many unique sculpts of them might be seen as taxing (plus, I will be proxying Rats with ArcWorlde rats anyway) but identical Rat Kings is really a big bummer.

I was a bit disappointed by all 4 clockwork traps being the same sculpt; I'd be way more bummed if I was a Hamelin player right now. Models looking different/matching their card art is the best way to keep track of who has gone and who hasn't; when dealing with a million little things summoning, dying, reactivating, etc like Hamelin et al tend to do, it seems that being able to easily track what models have activated would be doubly important.

• Like 1

I'm getting my Brotherhood box this Saturday, but since I'm planning on putting all of my Hamelin figures on clear 1.5mm thick bases (so I get to see the rats scurry over the terrain), the rats camping on the rocks won't be making the cut.  

So I'll have 9 rats that I'm using.  I hope that will be enough.  

Speaking of "being enough", is 2 Rat Kings enough Rat Kings? 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2015 at 3:05 PM, Tinweasel said:

They said they're not in stock with their "distributors" yet, but there's one box reserved when it comes in. I dunno.

I'm not bothered by ordering through the store, because it's a good place run by decent folk and some of our little group play Malifaux up there weekly (4 of us playing and a new guy with a Latigo box watching on Saturday). By the same token I'm a little disappointed, because I could've paid full price to Wyrd during Black Friday just like I paid full price to my FLGS and I could've been at least trying out Hamelin with all his synergy themed models now. Oh well.

Typically, a brick and mortar store will place orders with a distributor for how much of whatever product they wish to place on their shelves. Once a distributor receives said product (my understanding is typically prior to the release date), then they hold onto the product until the release date hits. Once a product has hit this release date, then it is "released" to the brick and mortar stores. Now, and this is understandably confusing, a release date doesn't mean that the product is on the shelves. Stores are not supposed to put product on their shelves until the "street date". That is the date they are allowed to start selling said product.

There are a lot of things (primarily in the production/overseas shipping side) that can delay product from being on the shelves at your store on the street date. Probably too many to list here. As someone who deals with some of the larger distributors, please try not to take out too many of your frustrations on your retail staff. They are at the mercy of when the product actually arrives before they can even do anything. All they can do is check to see if the product has been shipped by the distributors and not much else. If they are a store that actually takes preorders and orders accordingly, then that sounds like a pretty, damn fine store.

• Like 1

On January 6, 2016 at 6:55 PM, BewareTheYalcrab said:

There are a lot of things (primarily in the production/overseas shipping side) that can delay product from being on the shelves at your store on the street date. Probably too many to list here. As someone who deals with some of the larger distributors, please try not to take out too many of your frustrations on your retail staff. They are at the mercy of when the product actually arrives before they can even do anything. All they can do is check to see if the product has been shipped by the distributors and not much else. If they are a store that actually takes preorders and orders accordingly, then that sounds like a pretty, damn fine store.

Yeah, the owners don't actually stock Malifaux (yet) but carry some other miniature-esque games (X-Wing) and have been very supportive/interested in our little group of Malifaux players to where they're going to ideally start carrying an entry-level area. I ordered The Brotherhood of the Rat box through them for the sake of "supporting the FLGS", since it wasn't an item necessarily wanted immediately but eventually since I'm still getting the game down.

Now I see that the box is available on places like The Warstore and Miniature Market (sold out!) but still no dice as to arriving at my local. I'm beginning to wonder WTF since the advertised availability (by online sites) was December 18th and it's now early January. Folks in Australia have it, people who ordered it for Black Friday have it, and I'm sitting here with a case of mild envy and wondering if I should start to work on The Plague Cometh and the old metal Hamelin models I bought last year.

One nice thing I've discovered is that the one old metal Stolen boy with the bandana makes an excellent Iggy proxy, so at least there's that. (Since I can only have 3 Stolen and I now own six...)