Scar_hand Painting (Nazroth)

Nazroth

Thx Lordgimpet :)

So guys - still no new Malifaux miniatures to show - i was bussy with Infinity comissions lately,
As for Malifaux - Take Back the Night, Killjoy and Necropunks are inbound, but i seriously can't say when these will be done,

In meantime - recently i bought a camera and was able to take some close-ups of Redchapel and Obliteration crews in brand new light and macro. Here they are:

Obliteration%2B4.jpg
Obliteration%2B1.jpg
Obliteration%2B2.jpg
Obliteration%2B3.jpg
Redchapel%2B4.jpg
As you can see - all miniatures look a bit differently depending on the light sources used when taking pictures. I think that the most important is to paint miniatures so that they look nice during gaming so with a regular 'room' light source and in between 18-36" eyesight distance.

Hope that these will not shock you out of 'likes' i've received earlier :)

Regards,

• Like 1

Thx,

Currently i work on taking these miniatures one level up, to lvl 5. The customer was inspired by other miniatures i've painted and so he asked me to buff both crews. I like the idea as it's always more fun in the end than at the start of a comission. Here's a small Work in Progress made with natural light during painting:

(Seamus: darkened pants, final touch added to creeme sleeves, hair darkened, inner curves of the coat darkened, more layers added on the hat's trim, etc... still in progress. Coppycat is untouched, just for the comparison)

Seamus%2B1.jpg

Seamus%2B4.jpg

Seamus%2B3.jpg

Seamus%2B2.jpg

Thanks zFiend,

So guys - hopefully this is the last picture of 'the' Shadows of Redchapel i post here. I know that there has been a lot of pictures of the same two crews, but that's due to new camera and buffing the paintjob one painting level up as a comission. I will have some few days off now, so no painting involved, but i will prepare all the Malifaux miniatures for further painting there, so as soon i get back i shoulb be head to toe with Malifaux!

Ehh, i hope this picture is proper, still i know nothing about using a camera :)

img55da40f3a77e7.jpg

If you like it - please vote at Coolminiornot HERE

Best regards and see you in one week :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys - long time no see.

I'm back to Malifaux with some new Work in Progress pictures. I will try hard to finish this particular comission before the end of next month. Here's what i've got for now:

12003143_1009516812432269_31925393606775

malifaux%2Bwip%2B1.jpg

Hopefuly i will be able to publish pictures of finished miniatures weekly, cause this time Malifaux is painted as a mid-comission between parts of a larger one (Terminator Genisis board game with around 50 miniatures involved). So i use Malifaux as a form of rest when im totally burned out with Terminator :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I see I've depleeted your patience with all my spam :) Well i can't help it - just want to share what i paint. Malifaux is so awesome that i decided to buy my own crew - purchased Collodi and his puppets and received a 'Teddy' present from one of my friends (and best customers). In meantime 'Take Back the Night' is taking the night from me - as i work on this piece:

12141574_1015537545163529_10540985318493

Any advice appreciated.

Best regards,

• Like 2

I didn't look too far back (Just what was on this page), but just a quick bit of comments:  I don't like Kat's dress being the same green as everything else, but over all they look pretty cool.  Green+purple works well, and you can't see it in the close shot of Tara (I think lighting ruined it maybe), but the further back one, her claw has that same purple tint to it's starker-bright highlights, and that is really nice.  I also dislike the very fleshy tones on the Belles with Seamus, a bit too living (Almost closer to someone getting a tan, too much life in it IMO).  I enjoy the juxtaposition between Seamus and the Little Hatter's colors between hats, it's an interesting way to link those two, since they are very closely related.  But overall I feel like the crew suffers a bit from a bit offbeat colors between them.  I guess they share the flesh in common, although I feel like that is a bit off.  Although I guess they also share the grey hair/black shades.  But neutral colors don't really offer as good of cohesion between them I feel.  Might just be me.

However, more importantly, and the reason I wanted to post:  That Molly looks fantastic.  I absolutely love the fact that you got the very faint veins across her all over, with the black-blooded evilness inside her.  The yellow dress is also quite nice, considering that color is often quite hard.  I will say though that the "Purple" OSL shading on her yellow dress looks a fair bit muddled when not looked at very closely, and they just look a bit like dark/messy blotches on her dress.  You may want to make the purple more evident (It looks like you were trying to be a bit subtle, but it looks likely off from a distance to me).

Cool though.  Very nice over all.

• Like 1

Thank you for a very nice and substantial comment. Molly is still on the way and the reson i took this Work in Progress picture is to see how does she look like in the eye of the camera. I too managed to see that her dress on the breasts look more like skin tone than purple and will certainly repair this mistake.

Both Tara's and Seamu's crews were initially painted lvl 4, and it stole a bit glory of lvl 5 they were futher buffed to. I was asked to use the colour scheme from the box and lost couple of times due to really dark pictures. Much more due to my own interpretations of colours - each painter has his own recipees for some colours. Mollie's crew in the other hand is lvl 5 from the beggining and i preshaded it differently just for the occasion.

I will take all your advices to heart. Once again thank you - especially for your time ti give a good advice.

Best regards,

Thx xFiend - as always :)

Something new and maybe some of you will find it interresting:

New painting tutorial "Five Layers Technique" has been published on Scar_hand Painting blog today.

A small preview: "Five Layers Technique is a basic technique of choosing and applying colours. I especially reccomend it for begginers as it is simple, easy to learn, fast and rewarding. You can apply almost every colour using this technique and achieve good results as long as you choose proper paints to do so. It is especially good for either painting entire army 'tabbletop level' or preparing a miniature for much more complex paintjob...."

five%2Blayer%2Btechnique%2B1.jpg

Regards,

• 2 months later...

Long time no see :) Hello there everyone! You probably prepare yourselves for the upcoming Christmas. Well - I certainly do!

Still await for the bases to complete Molly's crew commission :( As for my own Malifaux crew I've picked Collodi and even managed to put it together and preshade the miniatures. Not much to show just now tho.

All in all - here's a small roundup of what's new on my Painting Blog:

Two new tutorials:
TUTORIAL: INFINITY HACKING DEVICE HOLOPROJECTOR
tut%2Bhacking%2Bdevice.jpg
TUTORIAL: 10 TIPS TO KEEP YOUR HOBBY SPACE ORGANIZED
tut%2Bclear%2Bworkbench.jpg

CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY!
giveaway.jpg

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, the purple on Molly really shaped up well, much more clear than the first shots :P.

Good job though.

Have you ever used these to make bases?  It's pretty nifty, although they are perhaps a bit less asymmetrical than a set of resin bases might be.  My friend did up a few starter kits using the cobblestone roller, just some Greenstuff and the normal bases.  They all look quite well, and when I first saw them I assumed they were resin bases.  Just putting it out there, in case it interest you :)

Thanks to both of you,

10 hours ago, Tawg said:

you ever used these to make bases?  It's pretty nifty, although they are perhaps a bit less asymmetrical than a set of resin bases might be.  My friend did up a few starter kits using the cobblestone roller, just some Greenstuff and the normal bases.  They all look quite well, and when I first saw them I assumed they were resin bases.  Just putting it out there, in case it interest you :)

I didn't had a chance to use these but it seems they are an awesome way of making cobblestone. I will probably provide myself with these. As for Malifaux this was a commission and the customer choose bases for his miniatures si I was only to paint them :)

2 hours ago, sigmar3 said:

Really great work there, especially Molly. Yellow seems a difficult colour to do well (at least I struggle with it). Any chance you could share your method, paints used, etc?

Thanks, Molly is a centerpiece and she took the burden of my attention on her :)

I would like to share my recipee but Malifaux is always a one time job, not to be repeated (not in the same manner atleast). I didn't wrote down recipees for this one - just dived headlong into the paintjob having a lot of fun. What I can tell is that Mollie's yellow was (probably) painted using a mix of:

GW: Snakebite Leather, Lamenters Yellow, Seraphin Sepia, Bad Moon Yellow,

Vallejo: Dirt, Bronze Fleshtone, Dead Flesh, Desert Yellow, Medium Yellow,

Army Painter: Soft Tone Ink, Skeleton Bone, White,

All made on black undercoat with gray preshading,

It was a hell of a paintjob but if You have difficulties with yellow I recommend to either start over with airbrush by painting a preshade using gray, then go with airbrush painting some dark yellow, then white, then GW's Lammenters Yellow to turn white into yellow OR go with a regular brush painting whole with P3's Moldy Ochre and doing more layers adding a bit of Moldy Ochre to dark and then light yellows used to finish off with addition of white and finally wash using Lammenters Yellow,

It works for me when painting masses. You can also check out this basic TUTORIAL: FIVE LAYERS TECHNIQUE that explains how to paint different colours step by step with pictures and in case of yellow - If you used some white lines in the end and washed wholle part with Lammenters Yellow - it would create a vibrant, strong yellow.

Hope I helped,

Regards,

Cheers, it's always interesting to hear other people's methods for particular colours. I don't use an air brush so I'll be going down the normal paint brush route. I've started on one of the Hired Swords already but feel like I want to do it again to be honest. Also had a slight problem with GWs new paints being quite glossy when I glaze, which has annoyed me. Live and learn hey!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sigmar3 said:

Cheers, it's always interesting to hear other people's methods for particular colours. I don't use an air brush so I'll be going down the normal paint brush route. I've started on one of the Hired Swords already but feel like I want to do it again to be honest. Also had a slight problem with GWs new paints being quite glossy when I glaze, which has annoyed me. Live and learn hey!

I too have yet to move to the airbrush scene - I know what you mean about re-painting stuff however. must have redone mcmourning 3 times now; although de-greasing spray strips the paint off really easily without damaging the models. 

Proper airbrush is a beast. A lot of fun and an easy way to paint some things - at the same time it can be a source of a lot of frustration and bad paintjob. I'm still learning to paint using airbrush, try to use it as much as possible but due to lack of experience - I usually go with a regular brush after some easy preshading:) All in all - I recommend to obtain an aibrush even if it's going to be a long way till you see some results - it's worth it.

As for repainting - if you still have some other miniatures to be painted why not leave all the painted ones till there's nothing more to paint? It's better to game with a miniature that is painted in a way you're not proud of than to play with a bunch of plastic dudesmen ;)

My own crew is still waiting for a time when I decide of which aproach should I take on them. Either airbrush wood then make grain facture, then go for clothes using regular brush - or airbrush clothes, then go for manually painted wood... no time for my own miniatures and it has been more than two months since I purchased them, and still I can;t decide :P

12088179_967184909994969_135015930290476

• 1 month later...

Hello there guys,

It is not the 'Malifaux' miniature but I still wanted to share it as I used a rather interresting technique that can be used with Malifaux miniatures as well. (Especially for the bases).
So this miniature is actually a Warlord class Titan from Epic 40,000 - but what I wanted to show you is the marble effect of it's armour. For all interrested in seeing more pictures of this miniature - please visit TITAN LEGIONS gallery - and the best part: PAINTING MARBLE TUTORIAL is also published at my new SCARHANDPAINTING.COM webpage XD

Hope you like it :) Actually if you like/don't like this miniature you can vote for it at CoolMiniOrNot

Warlord x.jpg

• 1 year later...