Tanefaux Onsies 2015 - 14th November 2015 - Ranked Event - North East London

HowNot2Wargame

Hi, just wanted to say I had a grand time and to thank the organization for the fun had. Sweets were enjoyed and drinks were shared. Also faced some stuff I usually never see (Special mention for the Leve rider list, I´m still wracking my brain on how to deal with that one...) as well as my other opponents, a lovely fellow using Wong and a gentleman using Mah Tucket with a very cool converted crew based on Doctor Who.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say thanks to all who attended the event and hope you enjoyed yourselves!

Congratulations to all the winners (and losers), results to follow soon.

I've tweeted and put this on the club Facebook page too but could those who placed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and last please contact me so I can pass on the details of the Firestorm Games e-voucher that you have won!

Thanks

First off I'd like to say, thanks to Des, Matt and Conrad for a lovely well run event and thanks to my opponents, John, Maria and Phillipa for some great, fun, casual feeling games.

Congrats to Conor on his back to back victory, though I'd prefer he just flipped weaks all game round 3 so Aaron could win.:P

Right, I didn't want to be the first person to make constructive criticism, but I guess I will. I would like to start by saying the following are just things I think could've been done a little better, the event overall was great and I had a lovely time.

Now, I will also say big props to Des for publicly apologising for what was the most confusing thing of the day and it was really just communication.

As soon as I saw the back of the sheet quiz and bonuses I said (to Aaron I assume) that I really liked the effort that went into it but may not bother. That's me being lazy and by no means a slight against it, same as my pedantry about the questions, they were fine, I was joking about.

However, during round 1 I just assumed they would be a final tie break after the typical VP diff and VP total, I didn't think skipping it was a big deal at all.

Then however, I thought going into rounds 2 & 3, as did many others I spoke with until after the third round, that it was the only tiebreaker.

However this didn't really change the way I played too much round 2 once I knew Maria had me beat I did probably play slightly different, half giving up, after all, how badly I lost wouldn't matter.

I'm also certain other people thought the same. This is all just communication, a simple thing that I imagine won't happen again but I thought I'd make note of it.

The quiz and bonus points were a cool idea, I'd like to see more stuff like that at events but personally I'd do that for a separate prize. If the intention is to have that be a main part of the event, that is cool but I guess it just goes back to communication, I'd like to know before buying my ticket.

The venue was fantastic, spacious, a bar, easy to get to considering (tube station is super close. 

The tables were great (though someone needs to figure how to uncurl the matts, roll them the other way?) and I'd like the space to each side for tokens, drinks etc.

The gift bag was a nice touch and I also appreciated Des and Matt having a good walk around, felt very welcoming and nice to see the TOs during the rounds.

Each round I would say for me personally was far too long though, almost half an hour longer than what I'm used to, however I guess some people may need that time. That's a different conversation I guess.

Scheme pools being ones you couldn't flip bothered me a little more than it probably should. Again, if the intention was to do that on purpose to change things up a bit that is cool but again I'd want to know prior to the event. Admittedly it didn't make too much of a difference but was just, I can't think of a good description, a bit weird.

Corner deployment sucks, but that is nothing to do with this tournament, just a note that came to mind. Worst deployment type.

Painting was of a very high level at the event and I like the 3 votes system (it is what I will use for player's vote in the future).

Can't think of much else to say except thanks again to everybody, and hopefully will see a lot of you this weekend.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Now time for some more detailed stuff.  First of all final standings.

PlayerFaction
1Connor RooneyNeverborn
2Maria WielandOutcasts
3Luke CocksedgeOutcasts
4Jaime MatthewsGremlins
5Francois LangtonGuild
6John BurgessNeverborn
7Aaron BaileyGuild
8Ben SimeArcanists
9Oscar Gonzalez TerrazoRessurectionists
10Conrad GonsalvesArcanists
11Andreas FrischOutcasts
12Bradley DowningArcanists
13Jaime VarneyRessurectionists
14Nick FeatherstoneArcanists
15James ReevesGremlins
16Andy BradshawGremlins
17Phillipa TicknerArcanists
18Lucas RozanskiGuild
19Marcus RoseNeverborn
20Ross BakerRessurectionists
21Matt LewinGuild
22James HenleyOutcasts

Just to say thanks to all who attended.  We hope you all enjoyed yourselves and that it was a bit different for a ranked event.  Some of this I simply forgot to say (none flipped schemes), stuff we hinted but were not as explicit as we could be (soft tie-breaks, relaxed timings) but there was quite a bit of stuff which we didn't think of so glad for all feedback (thanks Ben!).  All good stuff so next time we have a singles event we can be as clear as we can about it all.

Again, thanks for coming along, and hope to see as many of you as we can when we next have an event.

Ben thanks for the constructive feedback.

I've had a chat with other TOs about the scheme pools and its an ok thing to do apparently (not that I TO'd the event). I don't know about the communicating of it other than up front before the event starts as strats and schemes were not revealed until the day.

Communication was an issue with the whole tiebreak thing. Its an added theme (ie fun) that we wanted to continue on from the doubles and story encounter events held at Tanelorn earlier this year; essentially despite it being a ranked event we want to bring a lighter hearted feel to the event as well. This and the whole onesie thing (Matt wanted to have it drenched in fake blood - dont ask!!) is a big part of that.

The communication thing is something we were aware of before the event when Matt was getting together the results slip. Its something that should have been made clearer at the start of the event. We'll take that on board for our next event in 2016.

Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback.

On another note, I've paid in the £36 raised for Cancer Research by the raffle today. HUGE THANKS!