M2E Starter Box! (Reloaded)

/cracks knuckles

As has been previously mentioned, Angel Eyes was once a human. It has been stated the Asylum is run by Pandora.  Is Dr. Grimwell related to Angel Eyes and Tuco? Will the fluff uncover the conspiracy?

With the extra info, it looks like a perfect introduction to the game. This is exactly what I need for my newbie friends. The smallermodel count and ensuing shorter game length make learning much easier and it layers in rules organically. I hope we see at least two more, or one for every faction. Four model henchman starter kits + cards would be a really cool way to expand. 

/cracks knuckles

As has been previously mentioned, Angel Eyes was once a human. It has been stated the Asylum is run by Pandora.  Is Dr. Grimwell related to Angel Eyes and Tuco? Will the fluff uncover the conspiracy?

With the extra info, it looks like a perfect introduction to the game. This is exactly what I need for my newbie friends. The smallermodel count and ensuing shorter game length make learning much easier and it layers in rules organically. I hope we see at least two more, or one for every faction. Four model henchman starter kits + cards would be a really cool way to expand. 

There is some fluff for each game explaining why the fighting is happening, and Shifting Loyalties includes all these models with bios. 

There are no plans at this time to do more starter sets, but you never know what the future holds. It's worth noting that all models included have the mercenary characteristic, so you can use them with whichever Faction you choose (and the booklet gives a brief outline of what each Faction is about). On a purely personal note, I like having one introductory product to avoid confusion. But we shall see. :)

• Like 1

Is there a reason that the world of Malifaux isn't explained on the box? Seems odd to me for a starter box to not mention anything about the fantastic, mysterious, and messed up land they will hopefully be visiting soon. I guess we don't know what is on the sides of the box, but I would consider getting that info on the box.

As for the new characters and models. I think they are amazing. I can't wait to learn more about the history of these characters and how they interact with the others. I love the look of Nurse Heartsbane. 

Will this box also include a breakdown of each master for new players?

There is an outline of the world in the booklet.

There is not a breakdown of each master, but there are addresses for a number of online resources and a suggested next Master purchase for each Crew and a brief description of those Masters (Lilith for Neverborn and Sonnia for Guild - the Guild models are witch hunters).

I absolutely love the idea of introducing elements through a series of games!  

I've tried to explain the mechanics of the game to a few people who haven't table top gamed before and they were fairly overwhelmed.  This seems like a perfect way to break the game down and gradually introduce characters not just to the mechanics of the game but also to rules and abilities of models more gradually.

• Like 1

Freaking awesome, love it.

I've introduced a few new players to the game over time and with less experienced wargamers teaching Malifaux is an overwhelming experience.

This looks like a very sound way to go about it and you could probably get through it in one sitting.

I'll defiinitely be picking up a box.

• Like 1

So are the cards over the title on this page from the starter box decks? Aaron was cagey about them when I asked for more information before the starter box had been announced. :)

Are these decks plastic? Will they be available separately? If they are, how about card backs with different faction symbols?

I would like a new fate deck but I think the Arcane fate decks are a bit busy looking.

Hello,

Really like the look of the cards, specially the backs. Will they be the awesome high quality plastic decks?  The polymer decks are some of the best quality cards I have seen and really hope they will be, can't get enough of the artwork and can see myself buying the box just to get the cards/minis even though I currently have more decks than can be used for a game. hehe   (great value with this box for certain, love the medical staff, full of character with great ambiance)

Thanks,

Joe

Witchhunter is a keyword synergy, mcmourning does not have real keyword synergies if I remember correctly.

Also, to work with mcm, poisom should be prelevant mechanic, which is not really beginner friendly...

But Aaron did mention that grimwell and good doc were known to fist-bump from time to time (what ever that means) :P

Witchhunter is a keyword synergy, mcmourning does not have real keyword synergies if I remember correctly.

Also, to work with mcm, poisom should be prelevant mechanic, which is not really beginner friendly...

But Aaron did mention that grimwell and good doc were known to fist-bump from time to time (what ever that means) :P

I think that was Mason and he was joking. :)

McMourning isn't beginner friendly on a few levels. Poison for one, lack of synergy, and being dual Faction.

Sonnia isn't the simplest Guild Master, but she's not bad, and her models are easiest to assemble. Plus there is fun story potential to be had in attempting to cure rogue magic users of their "mental illness"...

Don't know about the fate decks, myself.

Ummm it does. Honestly I don't understand the "they are mcmorning theme" because they aren't.

McMorning is a coroner, the models in The starter box presumably aren't. So I don't understand the assumption. Not every kind of doctor works together, and wearing a lab coat doesn't unite them in some kind of theme. For all we know he's a physicist or chemist.

It's like saying this guy works outside for the majority of his job and so does this guy, so they're the same! Except one guy is a park ranger and the other is in construction.

I'm sure when the box is opened the reason for the witch hunter keyword will make sense. And frankly we needed more witch hunters. Sonnia's keyword has been totally under represented as more and more models have come out and new crews have dwarfed her own with their own theme models.

Now, more belles please. ;)

• Like 2

Looks to me like a jumbo version of the old school amputation bone saw - that was essentially a chainsaw with a hand crank...

And those patients tended to be very alive, and in asylums, undergoing quite insane surgeries to 'cure' them