2 player starter box

Anyway on topic. Not sure i'll pick this up anytime soon maybe in future though.

On this notion. I would love to get the Guild side of this box set, apart from the Nurse, she's just boring, the other three are absolutely amazing, the Doctor himself especially seems like a superb model. The Neverborn side is the real letdown of the box for me and probably I'd be interested in this going halfsies with someone. The fate decks are really nice might I add. Those are fantastic. 

Seperate post to ask a moderator to move this to a seperate topic - we are clearly far gone from the world of 2 starter boxes.

I am actually stunned that the thread has not been locked down--I've seen tamer stuff locked down in the past couple of months.

That said, if "-ism in Malifaux" discussion is to continue it does need its own dedicated thread since this is a recurring topic that derails other threads.  

• Like 1

The devil is in the details and I am anxious to see how the two person starter set works out.  If the crews are well balanced and demonstrate the mechanics without overwhelming the newbie it is a great addition to the line up.

For myself I hope it is well suited to folks who play other genres of games but have no experience with table top war gaming 'cause that is who I will be trying to recruit into the game.  

I also hope the fate decks are really cool 'cause I have an unhealthy obsession with nice playing cards, so a couple more cool decks available would be a treat.

• Like 1

Go ahead and re-read that for me and tell me if that still makes sense to you. Pretty sure everything is fake in a mini game. ;)

Violence is make-believe because the minis aren't actually doing violent stuff and, furthermore, seeing violence doesn't inspire violence in normal people.

Sexism OTOH is real simply because there's a huge disparity between the representation of the genders in Malifaux. Both are, for the most part, depicted as male fantasies. Female fantasies look different and they aren't being catered to. And that is sexism. That's all there is to it. It's real as it is what is happening.

And the thing I don't understand is why some people are so adamantly defending the status quo. Would making a mook box with two women and one man ruin everything about Malifaux for you? Would everything come crashing down if there were a few more "burly chick" minis around? I really see no downside to it so it's bizarre how a lot of people seem to be mortified by the mere suggestion.

I, at least, enjoy variety on my painting plate.

• Like 3

I just don't understand why people care so much about the humans in the game, but I do understand that not everyone thinks like me.  I play miniature games and video games to use my imagination and have experiences that I can't in real life, which is why I like playing all the shapeshifters, monsters, aliens, abominations, giant robots, etc - stuff you can't find in real life.

Trying to put myself in the shoes of my characters doesn't appeal to me, but maybe that's because my life isn't average?  Who knows. 

Edit:  I do find it interesting that people who are worried about "isms" play a game with at least 3 kinds of prostitutes, burlesque showgirls, an entire faction that portrays stereotypes, mass murderers, possessions, children being killed, etc.  Just an interesting look into peoples' minds in my opinion.

• Like 2

Sexism OTOH is real simply because there's a huge disparity between the representation of the genders in Malifaux. Both are, for the most part, depicted as male fantasies. Female fantasies look different and they aren't being catered to. And that is sexism. That's all there is to it. It's real as it is what is happening.

You have to consider who's most likely to purchase Wyrd's products as well.  Traditionally, many more males play wargames than females, so in the interest of turning a profit, it's in Wyrd's interest to cater to their largest customer base. 

One can certainly argue that including more female fantasies (whatever it is you're referring to here) in Malifaux would increase the female player base, but I suspect that there will never be an equal number of men and women playing a tabletop wargame.  Now, I'm not privy to any of Wyrd's market research or financials, but from years of gaming and introducing people to gaming all over the United States, I've observed that women in general are much less interested in gaming than men.

Hello,

Wonder if the fait decks in the starter boxes will be plastic, as I really like the backs of the decks as well as what has been shown of the fronts although I prefer artwork on all the cards not just the face cards. Hoping for plastic as they are some of the best quality cards I have seen as far as any playing cards go.

Peronaly wish I didn't have to read/skim all this bull shit when I come here to read about the starter box and the world of Malifaux (its not modern day earth by the way....) Do these same people go to every site that relates to anything of interest to them and point out what is wrong with it... Its a fantasy world, maybe all of the inhabitants should just hold hands and sing kumbaya naked around a fire one woman for every man. lol    Hate these discussions on equality/rights/politics/religion.... and I have only been here a short while, that is all I have to add on the subject.

Take care,

Joe

• Like 2