Mr. Cooper's Dark Carnival - New Crew Brainstorm (part 2!)

Kalkris

Dark Carnival Polls, Part 2  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am into the Run Away With Me idea as intended, but why *can't* we make the three carnies (and the two Mummerettes, which we soon should work on!) Carnies? I'm pretty sure that if they have Carny twice, it would be redundant but wouldn't make a difference in the mechanics of abilities or actions. It'd be more thematic and Cooper could still have the aforementioned ability.

I'm also thinking about Lola in this vein. Lola should be able to hire a thematic crew as well, considering everything. By that token, I like the Carny upgrades saying the following (as a preamble):

"When purchasing this Upgrade in a crew led by Mr. Cooper, this Upgrade's Soulstone cost is reduced by 1. This upgrade may be attached to Minions. No more than one upgrade with the Carny restriction can be attached to a friendly model."

This way, Lola can still use the Carny upgrades; they're just more limited for Lola than for Mr. Cooper, as can be expected.

re: Unnerving/Fiji Mermaid: I like this as the 3ss Woe upgrade. I was thinking that having a 1ss upgrade, a 2ss upgrade, and a 3ss upgrade for each faction would be neat. We could think on another one for Lola, just because I *do* like this for the Woes - it just needed the point bump.

re: Triple Hypertrichosis/other names: I agree with the assessment that it needs a better name. I like Missing Link most out of the three you suggested. Let's go with that! :)

I'm a Dancer! is fine. I suppose "I'm A Showgirl!" would be more overtly obvious so I'm A Dancer! should suffice haha

Hall of Mirrors makes me happy as a name. Let's go with this one.

The Turk might be good as additionally giving the Puppet characteristic while hired into Neverborn (if, of course, these are dual-faction upgrades - what do you think abnout that idea?). Giving it Armor +1 should be enough to merit it being in the 1ss bracket.

I've been having a bit of stagnation regarding Lola's actions. I'm trying to think of some but I'm having a slight case of designer's block XD I'm looking to get that book which Fetid Strumpet recommended, from the library but it hasn't come in yet :P I figure that when I read that I'll have an idea or two :P Best of luck with preliminary Mercury design!

~Lil Kalki

Edited 26/6

What do you think?

Mr Cooper

Mr. Cooper (Arcanist/Neverborn)

Cache 3

Master, Living, CARNY

Df6 Wp5t Wd9 Wk6 Cg- Ht2

Abilities:

Infiltration (Showgirls/Carnies): Crews led by this model may hire up to 4 models with the Showgirl and/or Carny Characteristic that are not the Crew's declared faction.

Df/Wp (Tomes) Sleight of Hand: Once per Turn, after failing but before flipping for damage, the attacking model must succeed in a TN 10 Wp duel. If the model fails, place a friendly Puppet model within 6" of Mr. Cooper into base contact with Mr. Cooper, then place Mr. Cooper anywhere within 6". The attacking model then deals no damage.

Manipulative 9: If this model has not yet activated this turn, when an enemy model targets this model with an Attack Action, the enemy model must pass a TN 9 Wp duel or the action immediately fails.

The Haze Only Gets Thicker: Horror duels and Simple Wp duels generated this model and upgrades add the current turn number to their TN.

Attack Actions:

(1) Silken Scarf (Ml 7 / Rst: Wp / Rg: x1): Target suffers 1/1/2 damage.

R Caress of Silk: After damaging, this model makes a 1/1/2 healing flip.

tc Strangulate: After damaging, the target must discard two cards or two Soulstones or it is killed.

m Whip Into Shape: After damaging, take this Action again.

(1) Blow Smoke (Sh 5C / Rst: Wp / Rg: 6): Target suffers 1/2b/3bb damage. All models damaged by this Action must succeed in a TN13 Wp duel or be pushed 3" away from this model.

C Noxious Gas: After damaging, all models damaged gain the Poison+3 Condition.

Ct Smoke and Fire: After damaging, all models damaged gain the Burning+3 Condition.

Tactical Actions:

(0) The Ring Master (Ca 6m / TN12m / Rg: 6): Push target other Friendly model up to 5”.

r Final Act: Once per Turn, after succeeding during this model’s activation, the target gains Reactivate.  Sacrifice the Target at the end of the turn.

m You Too!: After succeeding, select a different friendly within 2” of the target. After resolving this action, take this action again targeting the selected model.

Upgrades

Upgrades

Danse Macabre: 3ss

Mr Cooper, Limited

This model gains the following Ability

Danse Macabre: Enemy models within 3 must pass a TN 10 Wp duel when declaring any action other than a Walk action or the action automatically fails unless the Action was generated as part of the Charge action.

No More Mr Nice Guy  3ss

Mr Cooper, Limited

(1) Sharpened Claws (Ml 5 / Rst: Df / Rg x2): Target suffers 3/4/5 damage and immediately takes a TN10 Horror Duel.  This Action gains + to the attack duel.

C Infect: After succeeding, the target gains the Poison +1 Condition a number of times equal to the number of c in the Final Duel Total.

Crm Bestial Transformation: After damaging but before killing the target, Mr. Cooper gains the following condition until end of turn: "Eat Your Fill: After killing or sacrificing an enemy model, this model may choose to heal all damage it has suffered and end its Activation."

These two are really powerful and change his focus quite a bit.  Kinda like Seamus’ limited upgrades. 

Unpaid Debts 2ss

Mr Cooper

This model gains the following Trigger.

T Df/Wp: Unpaid Depbts: When this model is reduced to 0 wounds it may empty its Soulstone Cache to regain half as many wounds as soulstones in the cache.  This Trigger may only be used once per game.

I like this better than Death Defying as it suits his desperation at the end of the story.

What is Freely Given  2ss

As Kalkris’  Although, I think 2ss is a better cost, as it’s a really good action

This is really nice and compliments The Ringmaster for the (0) slot

A Nickel for Your Soul  1ss

As Kalkris’

Really like this one

Some good combos here are No More mister Nice Guy & A Nickel for Your soul to help his combat prowess, then Unpaid Debts to help out when he eventually kicks it!

Danse Macabre and What is Freely Given work well on their own.

Take Centre Stage  1ss

Carny, Rare 3

(0) Take Centre Stage (Ca6 :mask/TN:15): Place this model in the centre of the board. Mr. Cooper may not take Interact actions for the remainder of this activation. Mr. Cooper can only succeed in taking this Action once per game, and only on any Turn after the first.

I made this one be taken by everyone as they all have they time in the spotlight.

Flying Monkeys

Flying Monkeys

As Kalkris’s but add

Barrelling Monkeys: When this model completes a Charge Action, target model must take a TN8 Horror duel.

The Haze Only Gets Thicker: Horror duels and Simple Wp duels generated this model and upgrades add the current turn number to their TN.

Baritone Lola

Baritone Lola  10ss

Neverborn

Cache: 3ss (Directly proportional to Cost)

Living, Henchman, Rare 1, NIGHTMARE, CARNY

Df6 Wp6 Wd9 Wk6 Cg7 Ht2

Abilities:

Fears Given Form: Models that begin their Activation within this model’s Engagement range must succeed on a Df 14 Duel or suffer 3 damage.

Killing Joke: Whenever this model kills an enemy model, all enemy models within p3 must succced on a TN9 Wp Duel or gain Slow.

Terrifying (All) 10: Enemy models must pass a TN 10 Horror Duel if they end a Walk action within this model’s engagement range or target this model with an action.

Attack Actions

(1) Belly Flop (Ml 6t / Rst: Df / Rg: x1): Target suffers 1/2/7 damage

r I Can't Breathe: Target gains the Slow Condition.

T Bang on Target!: This attack’s damage flip gains + for every t in the attack flip’s total.

(1) Projected Voice (Ca 6t / Rst: Df / Rg: l10): Target suffers 1/1b/2bb damage.

tm Showstopper: After Damaging, the target must discard 2 cards or receive the Paralysed Condition.

Tactical Actions

(1) Walks Like a Woman (Ca 6t / TN: 12 / Rst: Wp / Rg: 12): Target model moves its Wk towards this model.  This model then moves its Wk towards the Target

tr Talks Like a Man: If this model ends its move within its engagement range, it may immediately take a 1 AP Ml Attack Action against the target without spending any AP.

(0) Me too: Cast one of the Crew’s Leader’s Ca Actions with an AP of 1.  This action suffers a -3 Ca.  If the Crew’s Leader has the Carny Characteristic, the Ca Action may have an AP cost of (0).

My Thoughts: This guys a big freaky made up penguin who prances around in high heels & a tutu! Of course he’s terrifying!  I took the abilities from Lil’ Kalky, but modified the TN of Fears given form due to The Haze.  Belly Flop is cause I can’t get this image out of my head! (watch it to the end!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUA9JiXHfAw

I gave him Me Too to be a dark mirror of Cassandra’s Understudy.

Thin Lizzie

Thin Lizzie, The Bearded Lady  6SS

Neverborn

Living, Enforcer, Rare 1, CARNY, WOE

Df 4, Wp 5, Wd 6, Wk, 5 Ch 6, Ht 2

Abilities

Don’t Mind me: This model may take Interact Actions while engaged.

Lady’s got a Beard!: When an enemy model attacks this model with a Ml Attack, it must pass a TN 9 Wp duel or the Action immediately fails.

Attack Actions

(1) Lure (Ca 7cm / TN: 12cm / Rst: Wp / Rg 18): Move target model its Wk. The target must end the move as close to this model as possible.

cc Wry Amusement: After resolving this action, the target gains the Slow Condition.

Tactical Actions

(0) Greet the “Guests”: This model gains the following condition until the end of the Turn: “Chatty: Enemy models with a6 may not take Interact actions.”

(0) Hands off the Beard!: All enemy models engaged with this model must pass a TN 9 Wp Duel or be pushed 3” away from this model!

My Thoughts: I wanted her to be a little like Fingers, a bit of a pain in the but! 

In the story, she looks alright from a distance, but up close the freakiness of the beard is rather off putting (I hope I captured this with Lure & Lady’s got a beard!). She also greets the guests so I gave her Chatty for extra annoyance!

Mercury

Mercury, The Strongman  8SS

Arcanist

Living, Enforcer, Rare 1, CARNY

Df 5, Wp 5, Wd 10, wk 4, Ch 6, Ht 2

Abilities

Terrifying 9 (Living)

Barrelling Charge: When this model takes a Charge Action, it may make a single 2 AP Attack Action instead of two AP 2 Attack Actions.

Regeneration 2

Attack Actions

(2) Sweep the Barbell (Ml 5 / Rst: Df / Rg x2): Make one attack against every enemy target in range. Target suffers 3/4/6 damage.

(1) Head Hold (Ml 6c / Rst: Df / Rg x1): Target suffers 2/2/3 damage.  This action make not be taken as part of a Charge Action.

cc Twist, Twist, SNAP!: After suffering damage target must discard two cards or two soul stones or be killed.

Tactical Actions

(1) What’s yours is mine!: Target an enemy scheme market within 2. This Scheme Market becomes friendly to this crew.

My Thoughts: A big brawler with a barbell!

In the story he hefts that barbell one handed so sweeping it around to clobber people shouldn’t be too much of a hassle!  It’s noticed that one of the townspeople is disturbed that someone of this size and power could take what he wants hence the ability.  

He then wrestles a lion, snapping its neck (whilst having his back torn to the born, he seems not to notice, so I gave him Regenerate)

Mummerettes

Mummerette  5SS

Neverborn

Construct, Minion, Rare 2, PUPPET, CARNY

Df6, Wp4, Wd6, Wk6, Ch-, Ht2

Abilities

Bulletproof +2: Reduce all Damage suffered by this model from Ranged Attacks by +2, to a minimum of 1.

Always in Motion: This model may not be targeted by the Charge action or Disengaging Strikes.

Manipulative 8: If this model has not yet activated this Turn, when an enemy model targets this model with an Attack Action, the enemy model must first pass a TN 8 Wp duel or the Action immediately fails.

Attack Actions

(0) The Hammer or Sabres Trick (Ml5t / Rst: Df or Wp / Rg: x1): Target suffers 2/3/5 damage. When this Action is declared, this model chooses if the Resist is Df or Wp.  

At the start of the game, choose for this attack to gain either + to the Attack or Damage flip.  If two Mummerettes are taken, they must take opposing options.

Tm Can I have another Volunteer?: After damaging, take this Action again. Increase this action’s Range to 8 for the duration of the action. This trigger may only be declared once per turn.

T Didn’t notice it: This model’s doesn’t count has having activated yet for its Manipulative ability.

My thoughts: these guys were kinda Coryphee lite. Quick,, decent in combat, dart in, dart out types who are difficult to tie down, but a solid hit will really hurt.  Hope they’re different enough to be distinct.

In the story they lithely prance around the arena waving their blades occasionally stabbing the “volunteers” in the audience (who seem not to notice the blades sticking out of them!).

I also haven't done anything with Solicitor 6's upgrade ideas, didn't have time, & didn't want to steal his ideas! Although, I did steal his Walks like a Woman idea!

Edited by Da Git
  • Like 1

Ok, let see if I can organize this:

Infiltration/Showgirl/Carny/Come Away With Me:  I see what you are saying Kalkris, and I can go along with that.  There are some models that come with the Carny characteristic (and Infiltration is Showgirl/Carny), but then Cooper has Come Away With Me that allows him to make all models he hires Carnies, and allows him to attach Carny upgrades to Minion models.  Makes sense.

Carny Upgrades

I like the added line about if used by crews led by Cooper, they can be attached to a Minion.  I am not sure about reducing Soulstone Cost.  I think that is a poll vote.  You can get rid of the added line about limiting one Carny upgrade per model by making all of them have Restriction Carny, Limited.

I am not sure about making The Turk Construct/Puppet alternate depending on faction.  That starts getting a little confusing.  Best to be one.  I went with Construct going off the idea of 3 Neverborn primary characteristics and 3 Arcanist primary characteristics.

I do think all Carny upgrades should be duel faction.

So, here goes the language for the Upgrades

Bat Boy Lives!

Cost 1

When purchasing this upgrade in a crew led by Cooper, it may be attached to a Minion model

This model gains the Nephilim characteristic and the following ability:

Black Blood

Restriction: Carny, Limited

Hall of Mirrors

Cost 2

When purchasing...

This model gains the Mimic characteristic and the following ability:

Which One is Real?

Fiji Mermaid

Cost 3

When purchasing...

This model gains the Woe characteristic and the following ability:

Unnerving: Models within :aura 1 suffer a :-fate to all duels

The Turk

Cost 1

When purchasing...

This model gains the Construct characteristic and the following ability:

Armor +1

I'm A Dancer!

Cost 2

When purchasing...

This model gains the Showgirl characteristic and the following ability:

Don't Mind Me

Missing Link (personally, I like Chimera)

Cost 3

This model gains the Beast characteristic and the following ability:

Three-Headed

With Lola, I like an idea of her having an action that is like Lure/Peekabo.  I was thinking of it being called Walks Like A Woman where the model is pulled it's walk towards Lola and then has the trigger Talks Like A Man where then Lola can move his walk towards the model, and if ends within range, may take a melee attack.  Playing off the lyric.  However, I do have some qualms about it as some may find it incredibly offensive/insensitive.

Da Git, see an earlier post I made about Cooper's Silken Scarf and the triggers Strangulate and Garrote, Kalkris liked them.

Sadly, lunch is over and I ran out of time to work on Mercury.  Maybe tonight.  I like some of Da Git's ideas and may play with them. 

• Like 1

Ok, I want to get in on this rules making fun!  A bit of it is taken from Kalkris' as I really like a lot of his ideas.  However I've removed all the Hazy condition and made it into Mr Cooper's The Haze Gets Thicker ability which adds the turn number to his crew's TNs.  As such, all of the TNs throughout the crew are very low, but please remember they get strong in the mid game and very strong in the late game.  For the Points costs, I've tried to make it so you can fit the whole crew in a 50ss game without upgrades (you can drop a model for upgrades if you want!)

What do you think?

Mr Cooper

Cache 3

Master, Living, CARNY

Df6 Wp5t Wd9 Wk6 Cg- Ht2

Abilities:

Infiltration (Showgirls/Carnies): Crews led by this model may hire up to 4 models with the Showgirl and/or Carny Characteristic that are not the Crew's declared faction.

Df/Wp (Tomes) Sleight of Hand: Once per Turn, after failing but before flipping for damage, the attacking model must succeed in a TN 10 Wp duel. If the model fails, place a friendly Puppet model within 6" of Mr. Cooper into base contact with Mr. Cooper, then place Mr. Cooper anywhere within 6". The attacking model then deals no damage.

Manipulative 9: If this model has not yet activated this turn, when an enemy model targets this model with an Attack Action, the enemy model must pass a TN 9 Wp duel or the action immediately fails.

The Haze Only Gets Thicker: TNs generated this model and upgrades Restricted to this model add the current turn number to their TN.

Attack Actions:

(1) Silken Scarf (Ml7r/Rst:Wp/Rg: :melee1 ): Target suffers 1/1/2 damage.

R t Strangulate: After damaging, the target must discard two cards or two Soulstones or it is killed.

R m Whip Into Shape: After damaging, take this Action again.

(1) Blow Smoke (Sh5C/Rst:Wp/Rg: 6): Target suffers 1/2b/3bb damage. All models damaged by this Action must succeed in a TN13 Wp duel or be pushed 3" away from this model.

C t Smoke and Fire: After damaging, all models damaged gain the Burning+3 Condition.

Tactical Actions:

(0) The Ring Master (Ca 6m, TN12m, Rg: 6): Push target other Friendly model up to 5”.

r Final Act: Once per Turn, after succeeding during this model’s activation, the target gains Reactivate.  Sacrifice the Target at the end of the turn.

m You Too!: After succeeding, select a different friendly within 2” of the target. After resolving this action, take this action again targeting the selected model.

Upgrades

Upgrades

Mr Cooper, Limited

Danse Macabre: Enemy models within 3 must pass a TN 13 Wp duel when declaring any action other than a Walk action or the action automatically fails unless the Action was generated as part of the Charge action.

No More Mr Nice Guy  1ss

Mr Cooper, Limited

This model’s Silken Scarf gains +Mlr

These two are really powerful and change hi focus a bit.  Kinda like Seamus’ limited upgrades. 

Unpaid Debts 2ss

Mr Cooper

This model gains the following Trigger.

T Df/Wp: Unpaid Depbts: When this model is reduced to 0 wounds it may empty its Soulstone Cache to regain half as many wounds as soulstones in the cache.  This Trigger may only be used once per game.

I like this better than Death Defying as it suits his desperation at the end of the story.

As Kalkris’  Although, I think 2ss is a better cost, as it’s a really good action

A Nickel for Your Soul

As Kalkris’

Really like this one

Some good combos here are No More mister Nice Guy & A Nickel for Your soul to help his combat prowess, then Unpaid Debts to help out when he eventually kicks it!

Take Centre Stage 1ss

Carny, Rare 3

(0) Take Centre Stage (Ca6 :mask/TN:15): Place this model in the centre of the board. Mr. Cooper may not take Interact actions for the remainder of this activation. Mr. Cooper can only succeed in taking this Action once per game, and only on any Turn after the first.

I made this one be taken by everyone as they all have they time in the spotlight.

Flying Monkeys

Flying Monkeys

As Kalkris’s but add

Barreling Monkeys: When this model completes a Charge Action, target model must take a TN8 Horror duel.

The Haze Only Gets Thicker: TNs generated this model and upgrades Restricted to this model add the current turn number to their TN.

Baritone Lola

Baritone Lola  10ss

Neverborn

Df6 Wp6 Wd9 Wk6 Cg7 Ht2

Abilities:

Fears Given Form: Models that begin their Activation within this model’s Engagement range must succeed on a Df 11 Duel or suffer 3 damage.

Killing Joke: Whenever this model kills an enemy model, all enemy models within p3 must succced on a TN9 Wp Duel or gain Slow.

Terrifying (All) 10: Enemy models must pass a TN 10 Horror Duel if they end a Walk action within this model’s engagement range or target this model with an action.

Attack Actions

(1) Belly Flop (Ml6, Rst: Df, Rg 1): Target suffers 1/2/7 damage

r Smothered: Target gains the Slow Condition.

(1) Projected Voice (Ca 6t, Rst: Df, Rg: l10): Target suffers 1/1b/2bb damage.

tm Showstopper: After Damaging, the target must discard 2 cards or receive the Paralysed Condition.

Tactical Actions

(0) Magical Extension: Take a (1) Ca Action belonging to this model’s Leader with a -3 penalty.

My Thoughts: This guys a big freaky made up penguin who prances around in high heels & a tutu! Of course he’s terrifying!  I took the abilities from Lil’ Kalky, but modified the TN of Fears given form due to The Haze.  Belly Flop is cause I can’t get this image out of my head! (watch it to the end!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUA9JiXHfAw

I gave him Magical extension to be a dark mirror of Cassandra’s Understudy.

Thin Lizzie

Thin Lizzie, The Bearded Lady  6SS

Neverborn

Abilities

Lady’s got a Beard!: When an enemy model attacks this model with a Ml Attack, it must pass a TN 9 Wp duel or the Action immediately fails.

Attack Actions

(1) Lure (Ca 7cm, TN: 12cm, Rst: Wp, Rg 18): Move target model its Wk. The target must end the move as close to this model as possible.

cc Wry Amusement: After resolving this action, the target gains the Slow Condition.

(0) Greet the “Guests”: This model gains the following condition until the end of the Turn: “Chatty: Enemy models with a6 may not take Interact actions.”

My Thoughts: I wanted her to be a little like Fingers, a bit of a pain in the but! 

In the story, she looks alright from a distance, but up close the freakiness of the beard is rather off putting (I hope I captured this with Lure & Lady’s got a beard!). She also greets the guests so I gave her Chatty for extra annoyance!

Mercury

Mercury, The Strongman  8SS

Arcanist

Df 5, Wp 5, Wd 10, wk 4, Ch 6, Ht 2

Abilities

Terrifying 9 (Living)

Barrelling Charge: This model may make a single (2) Attack during a charge action.

Regeneration 2

Attack Actions

(2) Sweep the Barbell (Ml5, Rst: Df, Rg 2): Make one attack against every target in Range. Target suffers 3/4/6 damage.

(1) Head Hold (Ml 6c, Rst: Df, Rg 1): Target suffers 2/2/3 damage.  This action make not be taken as part of a Charge Action.

cc Twist, Twist, SNAP!: After suffering damage target must discard two cards or two soul stones or be killed.

Tactical Actions

(1) What’s yours is mine!: Target an enemy scheme market within 2. This Scheme Market becomes friendly to this crew.

In the story he hefts that barbell one handed so sweeping it around to clobber people shouldn’t be too much of a hassle!  It’s noticed that one of the townspeople is disturbed that someone of this size and power could take what he wants hence the ability. 

He then wrestles a lion, snapping its neck (whilst having his back torn to the born, he seems not to notice, so I gave him Regenerate)

Mummerettes

Mummerette  5SS

Neverborn

Abilities

Bulletproof +2: Reduce all Damage suffered by this model from Ranged Attacks by +2, to a minimum of 1.

Always in Motion: This model may not be targeted by the Charge action or Disengaging Strikes.

Manipulative 8: If this model has not yet activated this Turn, when an enemy model targets this model with an Attack Action, the enemy model must first pass a TN 8 Wp duel or the Action immediately fails.

Attack Actions

(0) The Sabre Trick (Ml5t, Rst: Df or Wp, Rng: 4): Target suffers 2/3/4 damage. When this Action is declared, this model chooses if the Resist is Df or Wp.

Tm Can I have another Volunteer?: After damaging, take this Action again. Increase this action’s Range to 8 for the duration of the action. This trigger may only be declared once per turn.

T Didn’t notice it!: This model’s doesn’t count has having activated yet for its Manipulative ability.

My thoughts: these guys were kinda Coryphee lite. Quick,, decent in combat, dart in, dart out types who are difficult to tie down, but a solid hit will really hurt.  Hope they’re different enough to be distinct.

In the story they lithely prance around the arena waving their blades occasionally stabbing the “volunteers” in the audience (who seem not to notice the blades sticking out of them!).

I also haven't done anything with Solicitor 6's suggestions, didn't have time, & didn't want to steal his ideas!

I like a lot of the takes on my ideas, as well as the original ideas, very much!

A few notes to consider:

1) Unpaid Debts reads more like an Ability than a trigger. We could add that in an Upgrade, but we'd probably want to make it an ability (or revamp the way it triggers to include a duel of some sort).

2) Taelor has an ability much like Mercury's "Barreling Charge" where she takes a (2) on a charge. We can't steal it verbatim as Mercury doesn't have the namesake Pneumatic Arm, but we can use its wording. "When this model Charges it may choose to take a single (2) :melee Attack action instead of two (1) :melee  Attack actions." We may want to think of another name though? Maybe Sweeping Charge? Dunno lol

3) The Mummerettes' Sabre Trick action asks you to pick Df or Wp. Bishop has an Ability which reads: "When declaring an Attack action this model may force the target to resist the Attack action with Wp instead of Df." Can we better word Sabre Trick to template it more like this (for that clause of the action)?

4) I wonder if Lizzy would do well with a second (0) to offset using Chatty every turn. I was also hoping for her to be a Mimic instead of a Woe, but I can see Woe working just fine as well. I like that she has a Lure and that it isn't Belle-quality, but still is relatively simple to attain. Nice!

5) Lola. Oh Lola. I really like what we are working with so far here, but perhaps there is a better option than Belly Flop (although that commercial.... XD)? I figure that we can do more than a belly flop with Lola. I mean, worst comes to worst we can keep it - it's humorous in a Penguinish way. Smothered I was thinking against as we have Smother off of Alps already, but it seems fine - Could we perhaps give it a moderately-high TN to achieve Slow on failure? I'm thinking a 10 or 11 to start, augmented by "The Haze Only Gets Thicker". I also like Showstopper but I want a TN duel in there too - maybe we can have the target take a TN10 Wp duel, and upon failure must discard 2 cards or receive paralyzed. What say you?

6) "The Haze Only Gets Thicker": Can we omit "Only"? Also, can we say upgrade *attached* to this model as opposed to *restricted*? I think you were looking to do that (though I can't be 100% sure of that without consulting you first), and the two have fairly different meanings.

7) No More Mr. Nice Guy: Not sure how much a second Ram will help Mr. Cooper when he has a built-in one already and only needs one for his triggers. I *was* going to change the :ram:tome trigger to be a :ram:crow trigger, which might make more sense, as someone had earlier pointed out - perhaps add a  :crow  then instead? The upgrade in full seems like it needs one more thing though. Can we give Cooper a second, more damaging Melee attack with this bonus added on?

(1) Sharpened Claws (Ml6/Rst:Df/Rg :melee 2): Target suffers 3/4/5 Damage and immediately takes a TN10 Horror Duel.

:crowInfect: After succeeding, the target gains the Poison +1 Condition a number of times equal to the number of  :crow  in the Final Duel Total.

:ram:crow:maskBestial Transformation: After damaging but before killing the target, Mr. Cooper gains the following condition until end of turn: "Eat Your Fill: After killing or sacrificing an enemy model, this model may choose to heal all damage it has suffered and end its Activation."

I like giving Mr. Cooper Eat Your Fill as a temporary condition because it gives him a bit of combo potential. I also think that having it cost a soulstone to attain is a good way to offset the healing. It *can* also potentially give Cooper a choice between killing more enemies in the turn (if he can) or being sated there.

By the way, my rationale for this is that in the higher-res art for Mr. Cooper, it appears that he has wolf-like claws at the ends of his fingers, as if he were mid-transformation to a lycanthrope or the like.

I like the ideas so far! I know it might look like I am being a taskmaster of sorts but I'm looking to make this crew as balanced as possible pre-playtest so that minimal playtesting is needed (as it seems to me that there might not be much in the way of willing playtesters - but I could be completely mistaken!).

I do also think Solicitor 6's Carny upgrades can work nicely alongside Da Git's ideas. :)

Let's see what else we can cook up! :D

~Lil Kalki

Ok, let see if I can organize this:

Infiltration/Showgirl/Carny/Come Away With Me:  I see what you are saying Kalkris, and I can go along with that.  There are some models that come with the Carny characteristic (and Infiltration is Showgirl/Carny), but then Cooper has Come Away With Me that allows him to make all models he hires Carnies, and allows him to attach Carny upgrades to Minion models.  Makes sense.

Carny Upgrades

I like the added line about if used by crews led by Cooper, they can be attached to a Minion.  I am not sure about reducing Soulstone Cost.  I think that is a poll vote.  You can get rid of the added line about limiting one Carny upgrade per model by making all of them have Restriction Carny, Limited.

I am not sure about making The Turk Construct/Puppet alternate depending on faction.  That starts getting a little confusing.  Best to be one.  I went with Construct going off the idea of 3 Neverborn primary characteristics and 3 Arcanist primary characteristics.

I do think all Carny upgrades should be duel faction.

So, here goes the language for the Upgrades

Bat Boy Lives!

Cost 1

When purchasing this upgrade in a crew led by Cooper, it may be attached to a Minion model

This model gains the Nephilim characteristic and the following ability:

Black Blood

Hall of Mirrors

Cost 2

When purchasing...

This model gains the Mimic characteristic and the following ability:

Which One is Real?

Fiji Mermaid

Cost 3

When purchasing...

Unnerving: Models within :aura 1 suffer a :-fate to all duels

The Turk

Cost 1

When purchasing...

Armor +1

I'm A Dancer!

Cost 2

When purchasing...

Don't Mind Me

Cost 3

Three-Headed

With Lola, I like an idea of her having an action that is like Lure/Peekabo.  I was thinking of it being called Walks Like A Woman where the model is pulled it's walk towards Lola and then has the trigger Talks Like A Man where then Lola can move his walk towards the model, and if ends within range, may take a melee attack.  Playing off the lyric.  However, I do have some qualms about it as some may find it incredibly offensive/insensitive.

Da Git, see an earlier post I made about Cooper's Silken Scarf and the triggers Strangulate and Garrote, Kalkris liked them.

Sadly, lunch is over and I ran out of time to work on Mercury.  Maybe tonight.  I like some of Da Git's ideas and may play with them. 

I think we could also stand to put Rare 1 on the Carny upgrade restrictions, but beyond that I am cool with this! :) And yeah, the more I consider it, the more Chimera sounds good to me as a name as well.

Because of the reason you mention (and Da Git's thought of giving Lizzy the Lure), we could probably omit the Lure you mention (Lola's action). I'd prefer not to offend - we may not be working for Wyrd, but we are working with Wyrd IP and we wouldn't want to be insensitive.

~Lil Kalki

I forgot some language with the "When purchasing..." for the Carny upgrades.  It should read as follows:

When purchasing this upgrade for a crew led by Mr. Cooper, it does not count against a model's upgrade limit and may be attached to a Minion model. 

Good idea to also attach Rare 1 to the restrictions. 

Kalkris, regarding your comments off The Sabre Trick for the Mummerettes, Da Git is taking it straight from Colette's attack action as written.

• Like 1

I forgot some language with the "When purchasing..." for the Carny upgrades.  It should read as follows:

When purchasing this upgrade for a crew led by Mr. Cooper, it does not count against a model's upgrade limit and may be attached to a Minion model. 

Good idea to also attach Rare 1 to the restrictions. 

Kalkris, regarding your comments off The Sabre Trick for the Mummerettes, Da Git is taking it straight from Colette's attack action as written.

Thanks for the addendum. I have put the ideas into the second post of the thread, in full (both yours and Da Git's). Also, thanks for bringing Sabre Trick's wording to my attention. That definitely helps and conveniently saves a little time in trying to word the action right (as it's already worded right lol) :)

~Lil Kalki

I've taken a few actions and abilities from other models, I've tried to be as verbatim as I can but I don't have easy access to the book 1 cards (have the cards & book, but no digital copy :( )

Here's what I took

Always in Motion - Coryhphee

Sabre Trick - Colette

Can I have another volunteer? - A Lady's Secret

Projected Voice & Showstopper - Angelica

Lure

Don't mind me

Greet the Guests - written the same as Phillip's so are you from around these parts

all the Manipulatives

Not Verbatim (but tried!)

Barrelling Charge - Cojo (or Taylor)

Magical Extension - Child of Malifaux

I like a lot of the takes on my ideas, as well as the original ideas, very much!

A few notes to consider:

1) Unpaid Debts reads more like an Ability than a trigger. We could add that in an Upgrade, but we'd probably want to make it an ability (or revamp the way it triggers to include a duel of some sort).  Sure! Making it an ability is fine!  Just thought it fit better than Daring feats, although I also like the Death Defying trigger too!

2) Taelor has an ability much like Mercury's "Barreling Charge" where she takes a (2) on a charge. We can't steal it verbatim as Mercury doesn't have the namesake Pneumatic Arm, but we can use its wording. "When this model Charges it may choose to take a single (2) :melee Attack action instead of two (1) :melee  Attack actions." We may want to think of another name though? Maybe Sweeping Charge? Dunno lol Tried to make it the same as Cojo's but if it can't work, then a name change if fine

3) The Mummerettes' Sabre Trick action asks you to pick Df or Wp. Bishop has an Ability which reads: "When declaring an Attack action this model may force the target to resist the Attack action with Wp instead of Df." Can we better word Sabre Trick to template it more like this (for that clause of the action)? This is verbatim from Colette

4) I wonder if Lizzy would do well with a second (0) to offset using Chatty every turn. I was also hoping for her to be a Mimic instead of a Woe, but I can see Woe working just fine as well. I like that she has a Lure and that it isn't Belle-quality, but still is relatively simple to attain. Nice! Go for it!

5) Lola. Oh Lola. I really like what we are working with so far here, but perhaps there is a better option than Belly Flop (although that commercial.... XD)? I figure that we can do more than a belly flop with Lola. I mean, worst comes to worst we can keep it - it's humorous in a Penguinish way. Smothered I was thinking against as we have Smother off of Alps already, but it seems fine - Could we perhaps give it a moderately-high TN to achieve Slow on failure? I'm thinking a 10 or 11 to start, augmented by "The Haze Only Gets Thicker". I also like Showstopper but I want a TN duel in there too - maybe we can have the target take a TN10 Wp duel, and upon failure must discard 2 cards or receive paralyzed. What say you? I like the belly flop idea (as that's the get from the comercial and every other masked wrestler, I want to add a few more triggers as its a bit lacklustre for a (2) action

6) "The Haze Only Gets Thicker": Can we omit "Only"? Also, can we say upgrade *attached* to this model as opposed to *restricted*? I think you were looking to do that (though I can't be 100% sure of that without consulting you first), and the two have fairly different meanings. I used restricted to prevent Fears Given form getting rediculous Df 15 duel on turn 1 is a bit harsh!

7) No More Mr. Nice Guy: Not sure how much a second Ram will help Mr. Cooper when he has a built-in one already and only needs one for his triggers. I *was* going to change the :ram:tome trigger to be a :ram:crow trigger, which might make more sense, as someone had earlier pointed out - perhaps add a  :crow  then instead? The upgrade in full seems like it needs one more thing though. Can we give Cooper a second, more damaging Melee attack with this bonus added on?

(1) Sharpened Claws (Ml6/Rst:Df/Rg :melee 2): Target suffers 3/4/5 Damage and immediately takes a TN10 Horror Duel.

:crowInfect: After succeeding, the target gains the Poison +1 Condition a number of times equal to the number of  :crow  in the Final Duel Total.

:ram:crow:maskBestial Transformation: After damaging but before killing the target, Mr. Cooper gains the following condition until end of turn: "Eat Your Fill: After killing or sacrificing an enemy model, this model may choose to heal all damage it has suffered and end its Activation."

I like giving Mr. Cooper Eat Your Fill as a temporary condition because it gives him a bit of combo potential. I also think that having it cost a soulstone to attain is a good way to offset the healing. It *can* also potentially give Cooper a choice between killing more enemies in the turn (if he can) or being sated there.

By the way, my rationale for this is that in the higher-res art for Mr. Cooper, it appears that he has wolf-like claws at the ends of his fingers, as if he were mid-transformation to a lycanthrope or the like. I'll write something later... Out of time!

I like the ideas so far! I know it might look like I am being a taskmaster of sorts but I'm looking to make this crew as balanced as possible pre-playtest so that minimal playtesting is needed (as it seems to me that there might not be much in the way of willing playtesters - but I could be completely mistaken!).

I do also think Solicitor 6's Carny upgrades can work nicely alongside Da Git's ideas. :)

Let's see what else we can cook up! :D

~Lil Kalki

I've taken a few actions and abilities from other models, I've tried to be as verbatim as I can but I don't have easy access to the book 1 cards (have the cards & book, but no digital copy :( )

Here's what I took

Always in Motion - Coryhphee

Sabre Trick - Colette

Can I have another volunteer? - A Lady's Secret

Projected Voice & Showstopper - Angelica

Lure

Don't mind me

Greet the Guests - written the same as Phillip's so are you from around these parts

all the Manipulatives

Not Verbatim (but tried!)

Barrelling Charge - Cojo (or Taylor)

Magical Extension - Child of Malifaux

All duly noted, and totally cool by me. As for Lola's Belly Flop action, you mention it being "lackluster for a (2)", but have it listed as a (1). I'm a bit confused as to which one it is - for now I'm looking at it as a (1) since that's what you had it listed at, but if it's a (2), it could do with more weak and moderate damages. 1/2/7 is definitely lackluster for a (2) - I might also suggest giving the attack a :+fate on the Damage Flip? If it's only a (1), keep the damage track but I still like the :+fate .

Barreling Charge - is called Loping Charge for Cojo, or Pneumatic Arm for Taelor. We could go with either Barreling Charge, Loping Charge (but maybe not - I have to look into that name), or Sweeping Charge (although now that we're at it, Barreling Charge sounds better).

Haze - so, from what i understand, when a model is given an ability it already has (through a condition or otherwise) that doesn't increase in size (like Armor+1, for example, would), the abilities do not stack, and are not duplicated. What we may need to do is give Lola a caveat - "This model may only be given upgrades that list it or the Carny characteristic by name." in order to keep this reasonable. We obviously cannot change Fears Given Form. We'd also need to edit the name for Lola's FGF to account for it being a different ability (due to its lower TN). Or, to make room for the caveat, we can remove the FGF analogue (although I really don't want to do that - it's so Lola, it feels like!)

OH! And, Sweep the Barbell might want a slight reworking to only attack enemy models. Right now we've got it on all models indiscriminately.

~Lil Kalki

EDiT: Also, we could edit The Haze to mention the caveat we have, in lieu of adding that caveat as a separate ability.

Edited post 27, here are the highlights

The Big One! The Haze!  Does this work?  Are there any generic upgrades they can take that have Simple Wp duels or Terrifying?  I also kinda like the name as the only refers to the time passing.  ie The Haze only gets thicker the longer you enjoy the show!

Mr Coopers Hanky - Loses the built in Rams & changed the suits around, now every suit has a purpose & he has to spend a stone on Strangulate (I think this is fair enough, If Misaki has to spend a stone, then so should he!)

(1) Silken Scarf (Ml 7 / Rst: Wp / Rg: x1): Target suffers 1/1/2 damage.

tc Strangulate: After damaging, the target must discard two cards or two Soulstones or it is killed.

No More Mr. Nice guy Upgrade - I dropped the Ml down to 5 and gave it a + (similar to other paired weapons) to help differentiate it from the Hanky, which has a high Ml

This Model gains the following attack:

(1) Sharpened Claws (Ml 5 / Rst: Df / Rg x2): Target suffers 3/4/5 damage and immediately takes a TN10 Horror Duel.  This Action gains + to the attack duel.

C Infect: After succeeding, the target gains the Poison +1 Condition a number of times equal to the number of c in the Final Duel Total.

Crm Bestial Transformation: After damaging but before killing the target, Mr. Cooper gains the following condition until end of turn: "Eat Your Fill: After killing or sacrificing an enemy model, this model may choose to heal all damage it has suffered and end its Activation."

Baritone Lola - FGF is back to 14 to match (& is no longer affected by the haze), Magical extension changed to Me Too!  I changed the triggers on Belly Flop too (yes it is meant to be a (1), I confused myself too Kalky!  I also added the Action suggested by Solicitor 6 in post 28

(0) Me too: Cast one of the Crew’s Leader’s Ca Actions with an AP of 1.  This action suffers a -3 Ca.  If the Crew’s Leader has the Carny Characteristic, the Ca Action may have an AP cost of (0).

r I Can't Breathe!: Target gains the Slow Condition.

T Bang on Target!: This attack’s damage flip gains + for every t in the attack flip’s total.

(1) Walks Like a Woman (Ca 6t / TN: 12 / Rst: Wp / Rg: 12): Target model moves its Wk towards this model.  This model then moves its Wk towards the Target

tr Talks Like a Man: If this model ends its move within its engagement range, it may immediately take a 1 AP Ml Attack Action against the target without spending any AP.

Thin Lizzie - new (0) added

(0) Hands off the Beard!: All enemy models engaged with this model must pass a TN 9 Wp Duel or be pushed 3” away from this model.

Mercury - Barrelling charge reworded to match Cojo's & Taylor's, added Enemy to Sweep the Barbell

Mummerettes - changed The Sabre Trick to make it different from Colette & to better match the models. Does the rule work? Basically the hammer gets + to damage & the Sabres get + to attack.  I also dropped the Rg down to 1 and upped the severe to 5.

(0) The Hammer or Sabres Trick (Ml5t / Rst: Df or Wp / Rg: x1): Target suffers 2/3/5 damage. When this Action is declared, this model chooses if the Resist is Df or Wp.  

At the start of the game, choose for this attack to gain either + to the Attack or Damage flip.  If two Mummerettes are taken, they must take opposing options.

T Didn’t notice it: This model’s doesn’t count as having activated yet for its Manipulative ability.

Think that's all!  Also, where's that High res picture you mentioned?

Edited by Da Git

Where is this high resolution you speak of?

Taken from the Bell of Lost Souls page on Malifaux @ Gencon '15: http://www.gamewire.belloflostsouls.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Pages-from-June-2015-Chronicles-1-3.jpg it's kind of harder to see than I thought earlier, but you can notice that Mr. Cooper does have loner nails protruding from his gloves (both on the box and in the big art - on the left you can see his thumb)

I do like your new take on the Haze. It works just fine, considering the proportions of Wp to Df duel we have. I kiiiiind of want to make a new FGF though, called Forms Given Fears, which has a (lower) Wp resist. I'm not even kidding - I think it would be interesting. Maybe TN11 for that sort of ability, considering everything.

l like, too, Silken Scarf and No More Mr. Nice Guy. Very good.

Lola's "Walks Like A Woman" and its trigger, as S6 and I were discussing on here, might be a bit insensitive in name. I would maybe change the trigger's name to "Talks Like A [penguin]" to make it a bit less so. :o)

Lizzy and Mercury seem quite fine by me.

The Mummerettes... I don't like that the action is differentiated in this instance. I think we could call the action "Comical Weaponry" or the like, not specifying the kind of weapon, and not have to go through with making the models' art matter *that* much. I think we could even just copy Sabre Trick verbatim as we had it before, effect-wise. The big reason I am opposed to this present incarnation of the action is twofold - 1) people already voted (by majority) that they didn't want to differentiate the Mummerettes, and I fear this would look like an easy loophole or something, and 2) in the original crew, they are 2 mannequins, which would be the same model in "legal" games like tournaments. They're even still Mannequins even considering that the two Performers are now Mercury and Thin Lizzy. That's why I'm thinking the two shouldn't be so different merely based on art.

To end on a high note, the tweaks you have are quite well-thought-out so far. My latest concern is just about the votes for the Hazy condition. They're close, but presently Hazy as a condition is scraping out a lead. Therefore, we may need to make room for that condition, whatever it will do (and think of more ideas as to what it will do).

The high note? More opportunity to create! :D

~Lil Kalki

Well, I'm glad I took the time to vote then!  It's 50-50 now!

Agree with Forms Given fears! I'll do that tomorrow!

I'll think about the Mummerettes... The main reason I didn't like The sabre Trick was for the range, walk in 6" take a strike at 4" (& a potential second at 8") and then walk back out 6" means that they're too hard to tie down. I'll think & post something up tomorrow. 

As Mannequins though, just from the story, they really felt like Coryphee type models from a gaming mechanic.

Shame about the name of Talk like a man... I can't really see how it's offensive. It's a guy, cross dressing as a woman! I kinda fell in love with it as it fits the model so perfectly!  Might be my naivety and not really caring about PC that much...

• Like 1

Shame about the name of Talk like a man... I can't really see how it's offensive. It's a guy, cross dressing as a woman! I kinda fell in love with it as it fits the model so perfectly!  Might be my naivety and not really caring about PC that much...

Thing is, Lola sparks some debate about gender orientation which I'm not going to get too much into so we can stay on topic. I think my fix on the name is a good one in avoidance of that debate.

So, we're at 8/7 yes/no regarding Hazy, with about 10 hours left. This one is a close one haha

And you know, the Mummerettes don't necessarily neeeeed Sabre Trick (in any capacity) - with a different name, we could have a completely different effect. Perhaps we should wait on it until we see what the Haze is in the end, so we can maybe incorporate that into the effect?

We're doing great, though!

~Lil Kalki

Ok, finally, here's my ideas for Mercury.  I used Da Git's as a template and made a little changes and stuck in the Freddy Mercury References.

Mercury, The Strongman 9SS

Arcanist

Living, Enforcer, Rare 1 CARNY

Df:5, Wp:5, Wd:10, Wk:4, Ch:6, Ht:2

Abilities:

Impossible to Wound: Damage flips against this model receive :-fate.  Damage flips may not be cheated

The Haze Only Gets Thicker

Headlong Charge: This model may make a single 2AP Ml attack on a charge instead of 2 1AP Ml attacks

I Want To Break Free: ( :mask Df): After successfully defending against a Ml action, push all models within :pulse 2, 2 inches directly away from this model.

Don't Stop Me Now: When this model is reduced to 0 wounds, it is allowed to make a Ml attack before it is removed from play

Attack Actions:

(2) Barbell Spin (Ml 5 :tome /Rst: Df/ Rg: 2) Make one attack against every model within range.  Target suffers 3/5/7 damage 

(1) Under Pressure (Ml 6 :tome /Rst: Df/ Rg: 1) Target suffers 2/2/5 damage and gains the Slow condition

:tome:crow Ice, Ice, Baby: Target gains the Paralyzed Condition

Tactical Actions:

(0) The Show Must Go On/Who Wants To Live Forever: Lower this model's Df permanently by 1 and then make a 2/3/4 healing flip

(1) Give Me The Prize!: Target an enemy scheme marker within 2 inches.  Target becomes a friendly scheme marker.

So my theories:

"Headlong" is a Queen song, and figured it fit the ability with Mercury running "headlong" in his charge

I used the original wording of Barbell Spin/Sweep the Barbell as it becomes a high risk/reward action.  If Mercury does a 360 with the barbell, he's not going to be discriminate against who he hits in range.  Hence why I upped the damage spread (and the SS cost of him by 1).

"I Want To Break Free" is based on the classic image of a dog pile on a big guy and then he explodes up, throwing everyone off him.

I felt Impossible to Wound and The Show Must Go On/Who Wants To Live Forever (can't decide which sounds better), better reflects the story of Mercury taking a ton of damage, but still standing.  He's hurt, and there is a price to pay, but he keeps going on.  The mechanic of healing at the risk of becoming easier to hit in the future intrigued me.

"Under Pressure" goes off his wrestling with the lion and basically doing a bear hug.

I dropped the Terrifying because I see Mercury on par with the Slateridge Mauler and Cojo.  They were some of the inspiration and neither one is Terrifying. 

Edited by Solicitor 6
  • Like 1

Da Git:

My Carny upgrades are based mainly on Mr. Cooper having the following ability:

Come Away With Me: All models hired by this crew gain the Carny characteristic.

This way, a Carny upgrade could be attached to any model, not just the members of the Carnival Crew we are working on.

Can I just also say, this has been a blast to tinker with?

• Like 1

Can I just also say, this has been a blast to tinker with?

Always happy to facilitate a good time :D

So, in your templating of Mercury, you give him "Impossible to Wound" but it seems to me that the effect is actually "Hard to Wound". I2W implies that even if the flip goes to straight or better, it can't be cheated (in addition to giving a negative flip), and also I2W doesn't have a value; it just gives the negative and no cheating thing. Thus, i am a bit confused as to which one you want for Mercury. Either one may fit with your vision, I believe, although I2W is a tad stronger. Also, we may only really want 4 abilites/defensive triggers, tops (if we ever put these on a rendered stat card, there might not be room for 5 abilities). Would you be willing to omit one, and if so, which one?

~Lil Kalki

EDIT: ALSO - I laughed loudly at "ice, ice, baby". i approve.

• Like 1

I did mean "Impossible to Wound," as I was going off the Slateridge Mauler.  I'd be willing to drop any of the abilities.  I'm thinking the best ones to drop are either "I Want to Break Free" or "Don't Stop Me Now."  

Kalkris, I'm glad you laughed at "ice, ice, baby." It was just too good of a reference to pass up.

Da Git, could you give an example of how "The Haze Only Gets Thicker" would work?  I keep reading it and I am just not understanding.

For the Haze,basically you add the turn number to the TN. For example Manipulative 9 would be TN 10 turn 1, TN 11 turn 2, etc.

Really like Mercury there! Going to update my word file with it! Especially like your reasoning on Barbell spin! How do you think the cost is?

I agree with Hard to Wound 1 would be better, as Impossible to Wound would be way too strong!

If Hazy goes to condition mode, then The Haze Only gets Thicker (actually, it's not needed at all since he lost Terrifying) would be removed... Speaking of which, here's my idea for that:

This would be the trigger for given to models attacks to hand it out. Thinking this could be given to the Neverborn models (so not Mercury). Also need to adjust the TNs. Will do later depending on what we decide, but I think -2 from what we would put if the condition didn't exist.

Breathe Deeply: This model gains the Hazed and Confused Condition +1: Whenever this model takes a Horror duel or Simple Willpower duel generated add +1 to the TN to a maximum of +2. If the Condition is +3 or higher, this model may not cheat these duels. End this condition at the end of the turn.

Mr Cooper & Baritone Lola have the following ability:

Centre of the Haze: Enemy models within a3 may not remove the Hazed and Confused Condition.

Also, how's this for the Mummerettes attack?

(0) Stage Props (Ml 5t / Rst: Df / Rng: 1): Target suffers 2/3/5 damage. When this Action is declared, this model either the Attack flip or Damage flip to gain +.

Triggers the same.

This gives them the different weapon effects without differentiating between models. It also doesn't have the Df or Wp Resist & I changed the Rg to something more appropriate. I kinda like it as a (0) as it makes them feel really unique from the Coryphee.

How about this for run away with me?

Recruitment Drive 1ss

Mr Cooper

This model gains the following ability:

Run Away With Me: All Minions hired by this crew without the Carny Characteristic may take a single Upgrade with the Audition/Try Outs (needs a better name) Restriction.

I don’t think we should give Carny to Enforcers or Henchmen as they have their own adjendas/loyalties or Peons, as this opens up the Alp bomb trick. Are there any Minions that can break this?

Also remove the Limited and Carny restrictions from your upgrades,and add Debut. I think the current Carny models have their own Character and could get pretty evil,especially with the Mermaid one!

For the Haze,basically you add the turn number to the TN. For example Manipulative 9 would be TN 10 turn 1, TN 11 turn 2, etc.

Really like Mercury there! Going to update my word file with it! Especially like your reasoning on Barbell spin! How do you think the cost is?

I agree with Hard to Wound 1 would be better, as Impossible to Wound would be way too strong! I'm inclined to agree here, although we could theoretically bump Mercury's cost.

If Hazy goes to condition mode, then The Haze Only gets Thicker (actually, it's not needed at all since he lost Terrifying) would be removed... Speaking of which, here's my idea for that:

This would be the trigger for given to models attacks to hand it out. Thinking this could be given to the Neverborn models (so not Mercury). Also need to adjust the TNs. Will do later depending on what we decide, but I think -2 from what we would put if the condition didn't exist.

Breathe Deeply: This model gains the Hazed and Confused Condition +1: Whenever this model takes a Horror duel or Simple Willpower duel generated add +1 to the TN to a maximum of +2. If the Condition is +3 or higher, this model may not cheat these duels. End this condition at the end of the turn. Was thinking of calling it "Hazy" as shorthand. "Hazed and Confused" is a bit long. I like the idea of it stacking, but can we cap it at +3 to TN? I like the slight overlap for some reason.

Centre of the Haze: Enemy models within a3 may not remove the Hazed and Confused Condition. We could even bump this range by 1 or 3 inches. It needs to fall in line with the pulses and auras we have, I figure. 6" seems fair enough to me at least?

Also, how's this for the Mummerettes attack?

(0) Stage Props (Ml 5t / Rst: Df / Rng: 1): Target suffers 2/3/5 damage. When this Action is declared, this model either the Attack flip or Damage flip to gain +.

Triggers the same. I don't know if you are going by another model's wording re: choosing which flip gets a positive, but I like the effect. I feel like there's a model that has that effect to it but I don't recall which one it is. If there isn't, we may want to reword slightly?

This gives them the different weapon effects without differentiating between models. It also doesn't have the Df or Wp Resist & I changed the Rg to something more appropriate. I kinda like it as a (0) as it makes them feel really unique from the Coryphee. Totally cool by me.

How about this for run away with me?

Recruitment Drive 1ss

Mr Cooper

Run Away With Me: All Minions hired by this crew without the Carny Characteristic may attach a single Upgrade with the Audition/Try Outs (needs a better name) Restriction. fixed wording slightly to streamline; why not just use Carny as the restriction characteristic? All it takes to succeed is us being super careful not to break one of the upgrades involved. I do think the player should still pay for the cost of the upgrade, too (that may need to be clarified in the text of this upgrade).

I don’t think we should give Carny to Enforcers or Henchmen as they have their own adjendas/loyalties or Peons, as this opens up the Alp bomb trick. Are there any Minions that can break this?

Also remove the Limited and Carny restrictions from your upgrades,and add Debut. I think the current Carny models have their own Character and could get pretty evil,especially with the Mermaid one! Agreed on those characteristics being disallowed the upgrades. I think it's all the more reason to ue Carny as the restrictive characteristic on the above upgrade.

Yellow and Bold, same old same old XD

Totally into these ideas, folks. Keep 'em coming! I'll be over on Page 1, adding these ideas.

~Lil Kalki

As it's a new page (I mostly use my phone & it's easier to have it all in one place, here is my updated crew list.  Models with changes have my thoughts in red

Mr. Cooper

Cache 3

Master, Living, CARNY

Df6 Wp5t Wd9 Wk6 Cg- Ht2

Abilities:

Attack Actions:

(1) Silken Scarf (Ml 7 / Rst: Df / Rg: x1 ): Target suffers 1/1/2 damage.

ct Strangulate: After damaging, the target must discard two cards or two Soulstones or it is killed.

(1) Blow Smoke (Sh 5C / Rst: Wp / Rg: 6): Target suffers 1/2b/3bb damage. All models damaged by this Action must succeed in a TN9 Wp duel or be pushed 3" away from this model.

Ct Smoke and Fire: After damaging, all models damaged gain the Burning+3 Condition.

Tactical Actions:

(0) The Ring Master (Ca 6m, TN12m, Rg: 6): Push target other Friendly model up to 5”.

Upgrades

Upgrades

Mr Cooper, Limited

Danse Macabre: Enemy models within 3 must pass a TN 13 Wp duel when declaring any action other than a Walk action or the action automatically fails unless the Action was generated as part of the Charge action.

No More Mr Nice Guy  3ss

Mr Cooper, Limited

(1) Sharpened Claws (Ml 5 / Rst: Df / Rg x2): Target suffers 3/4/5 damage and immediately takes a TN9 Horror Duel. This Action gains + to the attack duel.

These two are really powerful and change hi focus a bit.  Kinda like Seamus’ limited upgrades. 

Unpaid Debts 2ss

Mr Cooper

This model gains the following Ability.

Unpaid Depbts: The first time this model is reduced to 0 wounds it may empty its Soulstone Cache to regain half as many wounds as soulstones were discarded.

A Nickel for Your Soul

As Kalkris’

Take Centre Stage 1ss

Carny, Rare 3

(0) Take Centre Stage (Ca 6m / TN: 15): Place this model in the centre of the board. Mr. Cooper may not take Interact actions for the remainder of this activation. Mr. Cooper can only succeed in taking this Action once per game, and only on any Turn after the first.

Recruitment Drive Upgrades

Recruitment Drive  1ss

Mr Cooper

Run Away With Me: All Minion models hired by this model without the Carny Characteristic may attach a single Upgrade with the Auditioning Restriction for the cost printed.

Bat Boy Lives!

Cost 1

This model gains the Nephilim characteristic and the following ability:

Black Blood looks good, nice and simple

Restriction: Auditioning, Rare 1

Hall of Mirrors

Cost 2 Not Sure about you guys, but I think this could be 1ss

This model gains the Mimic characteristic and the following ability:

Which One is Real?

Fiji Mermaid

Cost 3

Unnerving: Models within a1 suffer a - to all duels Really like that this is all models!

The Turk

Cost 1

Armour +1 looks good, nice and simple, could maybe be worth 2ss?

I'm A Dancer!

Cost 2

Don't Mind Me looks good, nice and simple

Cost 3

Three-Headed Possibly too good, especially with a combat or shooty model (think December Acolyte, Gunsmith, Slate Ridge Mauler)

All I’ve done for these is make them only attachable by non-Carny, Minions.  I’ve done this for a few reasons:

• First, My idea for these are for the the new members of the crew that have "run off to join the circus" I think that all the current Carny models already have a role to play and don’t need to dress up anymore.  These are for the new blood.
  • Second, I think that Henchmen & Enforcers have too much loyalty or their own loyalties to run away with the circus.
  • This one is for Game Mechanics.  If we go with Hazy as a Condition, personally, I only want it to effect Carny models, which means other models can’t gain the Carny Characteristic.  This puts some interesting choices on the play in the list building process on whether or not they take the Recruitment Drive upgrade or not.  It’s also because these are unofficial rules so if a Minion comes along that runs of horror or Simple Wp Duels, then they won’t be effected by the condition. 
  • Rules wise the only ones that worry me are Fiji Mermaid & Missing Link… Can you imagine these on a model like the Slate Ridge Mauler (I’ll just let you pause with the thought of a Fijian Mermaid Slate Ridge Mauler a moment!).  Things will get nasty pretty quick!  Also Three-headed shooty models are also very nasty.

Flying Monkeys

Flying Monkeys

As Kalkris’s but add

Barreling Monkeys: When this model completes a Charge Action, target model must take a TN8 Horror duel.

Baritone Lola

Baritone Lola  10ss

Neverborn

Df6 Wp6 Wd9 Wk6 Cg7 Ht2

Abilities:

Forms Given Fears: Models that begin their Activation within this model’s Engagement range must succeed on a Wp 11 Duel or suffer 3 damage.

Attack Actions

r I Can't Breathe!: Target gains the Slow Condition.

(1) Projected Voice (Ca 6t / Rst: Df / Rg: l10): Target suffers 1/1b/2bb damage.

Tactical Actions

(0) Me too: Cast one of the Crew’s Leader’s Ca Actions with an AP of 1.  This action suffers a -3 Ca.  If the Crew’s Leader has the Carny Characteristic, the Ca Action may have an AP cost of (0).

(1) Dances Like a Ballerina (Ca 6t / TN: 12 / Rst: Wp / Rg: 12): Target model moves its Wk towards this model.  This model then moves its Wk towards the Target

tr Sings Like a Belladonna: If this model ends its move within its engagement range, it may immediately take a 1 AP Ml Attack Action against the target without spending any AP.

All I did here was change the name of the Action / Trigger to Dances like a Ballerina / Sings like a Belladonna!  Thoughts?

Thin Lizzy

Thin Lizzie, The Bearded Lady  6SS

Neverborn

Abilities

Attack Actions

(1) Lure (Ca 7cm / TN: 12cm / Rst: Wp / Rg: 18): Move target model its Wk. The target must end the move as close to this model as possible.

Tactical Actions

(0) Hands off the Beard!: All models within p3 must pass a TN 9 Wp duel or be pushed 3” away from this model.

Mercury

Mercury, The Strongman  9SS

Arcanist

Df 4, Wp 5, Wd 8, wk 4, Ch 6, Ht 2

Abilities

Headlong Charge: When this model takes a Charge Action, it must make a single 2 AP Attack Action instead of two AP 2 Attack Actions.

Df (t) I Want To Break Free: After succeeding against a Ml Attack Action, push all enemy models with p2 2” away from this model.

Impossible to Wound: Damage flips against this model gain -.  Damage flips against this model may not be cheated.

Don’t Stop Me Now: If this model is reduced by a x Attack Action, this model may immediately make a (2) x Attack Action against the enemy model.

Attack Actions

(2) Barbell Spin (Ml 5 / Rst: Df / Rg: 2): Target suffers 3/5/7 damage.  After resolving this action, this model must make a Barbell Spin Attack Action against another target in Range until all valid targets have been Attacked.

(1) Under Pressure (Ml 6c / Rst: Df / Rg: 1): Target suffers 2/2/3 damage and the Slow Condition. 

tc Ice, Ice, Baby!: If the target had the Slow Condition before this action was taken, it gains the Paralysed Condition.

Tactical Actions

(0) Who Wants to Live Forever?: This model permanently lowers its Df by 1 to perform a 1/2/3 healing flip.

(1) Give Me the Prize!: Target an enemy scheme market within 2. This Scheme Market becomes friendly to this crew.

I really like most of the changes Solicitor 6 made, so I kept them!  He was starting to look a little too good though so I made him a bit softer!

• I actually kept ItW, but dropped his Df to 4 and lowered the Healing to 1/2/3
  • I removed The Haze as he has nothing that’s effected by it and in the backstory I’m thinking of, his a human & the haze is going to be a Neverborn thing.
  • I lowered the Severe on Under Pressure back to 3.  And made Ice, Ice, Baby! Be dependant on the target already having Slow. 
  • Reworded Headlong Charge to match the similar Abilities but made it MUST instead of MAY, What do you think?
  • Also re-worded Barbell Spin, What do you think?  The way it read before, it sounded more appropriate for a Tactical action than an Attack action.  Does this new wording make sense?

Mummerettes

Mummerette  5SS

Neverborn

Abilities

Attack Actions

(0) Stage Props (Ml 5t / Rst: Df / Rng: 1): Target suffers 2/3/5 damage. When this Action is declared, this model either the Attack flip or Damage flip to gain +. This is my own wording, can’t think of a model that has a similar power.  How would you change it Kalky?

T Didn’t notice it: This model’s doesn’t count has having activated yet for its Manipulative ability.

Hazy Condition Ideas

Ideas if we make Hazy a condition:

Breathe Deeply:  This model gains the Hazed and Confused Condition +1: Whenever this model takes a Horror duel or Simple Willpower duel generated add +1 to the TN to a maximum of +3. If the Condition is +3 or higher, this model may not cheat these duels.  End this condition at the end of the turn.  

Centre of the Haze:  Enemy models within a3 may not remove the Hazed and Confused Condition.

Personally I’d prefer keeping The Haze Thickens ability for the following reasons

• There are already so many Conditions in the game already, this is something new & different.
  • To me it read really simple, just add the current turn number to the TNs of Horror & Simple Wp duels (eg. Horror 9 would have a TN of 10 turn 1, TN of 11 turn 2, TN of 12 turn 2, etc). But if S6 didn’t get it, maybe it needs re-wording?

Please have a read, especially the ones in Red. Solicitor 6 please have a look at the Recruitment Drive upgrades & Mercury.

Da Git, my thoughts.

I'm not sure about Mr. Cooper having manipulative.  Doesn't quite seem to fit.

Mr. Cooper's Silken Scarf attack.

-I mentioned this in an earlier post, the trigger that does the "discard 2 cards or 2 soulstones" should be a  :ram  :crow  trigger to be consistent with H. Langston's Decapitate and Misaki's Assassinate.  I also suggested calling it "Garrote" over "Strangulate" (to me, it just sounds cooler).  Also, the triggers for "Caress of Silk" and "Whip into Shape" should be reversed.  Compared to other models, :ram  usually allow for an action to be taken again, while  :mask allow for a heal to occur.  With this being the layout, do we want to give the action the  :ram  built in to the attack? 

Mr. Cooper's The Ring Master

I think I like the May I Direct Your Attention I came up with a little better where Mr. Cooper moves a model and then gives it Companion until the end of the Turn.  I think the Final Act trigger is a little too much for this action, especially as it does not allow for the model to take an action, like Prompt.  With May I Direct Your Attention, I did have a trigger "Three Ring Circus" that allows the placed model to take a 1 action (instead of Final Act).  I do like the "You too" trigger.  I wonder if this shouldn't be a 1AP action instead of a 0.

Mr. Cooper's Run Away With Me/Recruitment Drive:

I like your reasoning and explanation behind the recruitment drive, and can go along with it.  However, I think "Run Away With Me" should be one of Mr. Cooper's natural abilities and not a 1SS upgrade.  Seems like to have a whole series of upgrades conditioned on another upgrade is a bit clunky and excessive.

Chimera Upgrade

We could alter Triple Headed to limit it to Ml Attacks.  While yes it would make a Slate Ridge Mauler very powerful, it would cost a total of 11SS, which seems reasonable (8 for the Mauler, 3 for the upgrade).  Hence why it is 3SS.

Lola

No thoughts, looks good, but may want to make sure that the triggers are consistent with other models.  I think they are, but doesn't hurt.

Thin Lizzy

I think she needs some sort of attack action that does damage (as you have her, she does not deal any damage).  Maybe like "Burnt Cigarette" that does 1/1/2 damage and have her Lure have a trigger that allows her to take it if a model is in range.  Also, may want to have a trigger on the lure that does some kind of damage, again, a low level.  

Mercury

-I am not sure about Headlong compelling him to take the 2AP action.  I can see it, but not completely sold on it.  Good wording on the action.

-I think I Want To Break Free should be a  :mask  trigger.  See Colette's "Now You See Me" and Mei Feng's "Leap Aside"

Impossible To Wound/Defense/Who Wants to Live Forever:

This is a tricky situation.  I could see dropping him down to "Hard to Wound" over "Impossible to Wound" and upping his defense back up to 5.

I think "Who Wants to Live Forever (or "The Show Must Go On", don't know which one sounds better), should be a 2/3/4 healing flip as permanently lowering the model's Df by 1 for the rest of the game is a pretty big sacrifice.  By lowering him just to Hard to Wound, he does become a little more squishy.  I would still keep his Df at 5 with this.

How about for the "ice, ice, baby" trigger on "Under Pressure" it reads: "Instead of damaging and giving Slow, target gains Paralyzed"?  I could understand damaging and paralyzing a model is a little too powerful.  This way, if you hit the trigger, the player gets to pick which they prefer and it makes the opposing player decide if he wants to take the risk to cheat to avoid Mercury's controller having the option to Paralyze.  I recommend the damage spread be 2/2/4, split the difference on the Severe.

Here's my take over "The Ring Master"

(1) If I May Direct Your Attention... (Ca 6 :tome/TN 14 :tome/Rg 10) Place any friendly model within 6 inches of this model. The placed model than gains Companion until the end of the Turn.

:tome  :ram Three Ring Circus The moved model takes 1 AP after placed

:tome  :mask Curtain Call: After succeeding, take this action again on a different friendly within 6” of this model. This action may not declare triggers.

I'll write more on the rest of your comments later but as for the upgrades within an upgrade, it's kinda similar to Hoffman's upgrade that lets him hand out upgrades (although that's mid-game...)

We could do a similar effect to that??

I also made it an upgrade to save space on the card & for those players that want to stay in theme or aren't interested in the upgrades. It's also for upgradeless games.

I agree on some of your other points as well (Garotte has already been edited!) so I'll post an update later! Nighty Night!

Also what are your thoughts on That Haze? Ability or Condition?