Malifaux City Board Build Diary

KrazyIvan

I can only imagine the amount of effort that went into tiling that board, great job cannot wait to see it complete

. I can confirm that it is s lot of work, but look at the board, it's marvelous. Good job! Also looking forward to see the rest of the terrain.

It was aton of work. Thankfully I had some help getting thus part done. The painting portion is a breeze by comparison.

As for the terrain going on the board..I am still up in the air. I want plenty of buildings (5-10 total) but I worry that they will take up too much space (for now I am thinking 4"x4" footprint structures). I also want a bunch of elevated walk ways, market stands, a fountain, some trees...the list goes on.

I still have a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

Getting the tiles ready for paint this morning. Here is a little "primer" on how I texture them.

For the record I know that it is pronounced "Jesso", but when I first started using the stuff I didn't know that and got on the habit of using a G sound rather than a J sound.

\

A tremendous amount of airbrushing was done today. All boards have had base coat, pre-shading, and filters applied. Detailing has begun on the lighter colored stone work. If everything goes well this part of the project should be wrapped up this week!

• Like 2

Here is a tile that I finished tonight. I planned on just doing the assembly line process so that they would all get done at the same time...but I just couldn't help myself. Tried for a "mossy" look in the grout lines of the rough stone. Doing the black lining on the grout lines for each board is probably going to be most labor intensive, mind-numbing part of the whole build.

• Like 1

Now that is a board I want to play on! Gaming mats may be getting better looking and cheaper to get, but there is still no replacement for a well done, custom made gaming table. Very well done!

So I haven't seen you post a picture of this yet, what kind of table will the gorgeous tiles be sitting on?

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice work. I think that may be the first cardboard flagstone board i've seen finished. Looks excellent!

I think the circular tiles could be an excellent spot for a couple pieces of interchangable scatter terrain: a fountain, raised bed planter(s), a 'world tree' or 'tree of Gondor' type thing.

If the buildings have enough windows and doors, and if there is a way to use the inside of them, I don't see large buildings being a problem. From what you already said you wanted to make, it sounds like you're already thinking of that sort of thing. Also, arched hallways under the second story of a building could have the feel of buildings without being very enclosed.

I can't wait to see more of this.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started working on building components this weekend in preparation for scratch building the structures for the boards. This will be my first real attempt at scratch building structures from the ground up, as well as my first attempt at resin casting building components.

Just starting with a simple door.

Does the scale look right? Too big or too small?

• Like 1

Huh the rollback ate my post it seems.

I like he door but I think I would have made it a little bigger had it been me.  I dislike the door looking small due to the base.  But that said as long as everything is to the same scale it should be just fine as the door itself looks pretty good.

Resin?  Are you going to be making your own molds or are you using it with something else?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have started work on the buildings for the board...well, one building any way. I like to test things out before going whole hog. That said here are some pictures of the lower section of a building that I am working on. The stonework is carved out of polyurethane insulation foam. Gap filling with Apoxie Sculpt. Door frame is balsa wood. Assuming this goes well I'm planning on making three lower level masters, three upper level masters, then cast them. That will allow me to make a bunch of different buildings from just a few masters.

large.B1_WIP_1.jpg.2665aa26dd7c378fa8cdblarge.B1_WIP_2.jpg.dbce338158b4995b30aealarge.B1_WIP_3.jpg.593c56c5d984bac1580f5large.B1_WIP_4.jpg.33f2a30d29a799e3d1b7dlarge.B1_WIP_5.jpg.5674fac5b0a9f19d79cd9

• Like 2

Did some more work on my test building, this time working out my technique for building doors and painting.

large.B1_WIP_6.jpg.d9ee02777560727085015

Since I'm happy with my test building I started working on some other buildings for the Malifaux City board. I wanted levels to the board and this is one way that I plan to get them. A two story building will sit on a corner, and the rest will be a landing with stone railings. The piece creates cover on the lower level with the columns and the inset alcove. Very rough at this point, but you get the idea.

large.B2_WIP_1.jpg.00287fceae3e85a80ba4elarge.B2_WIP_2.jpg.b9be2957022029106d7b5large.B2_WIP_3.jpg.31c8792d052abc8a9404a

• Like 2