Look! I built a Town!

madaxeman

Picking ridiculous projects and then almost finishing them is a classic wargamers curse, and the process of building a whole Malifaux faux-gothic-steampunk town almost from scratch instead of just coughing up for some pre-built buildings is a pretty good way of ticking that particular "curse" box, as I can now demonstrate.... with the following series of photos, links to suppliers and construction hints and tips posted on my website!

http://www.madaxeman.com/Malifaux/Malifaux_City_Terrain.php

IMGP3639.JPG

IMGP3630.JPG

IMGP3645.JPG

IMGP3637.JPG

For more stuff see http://www.madaxeman.com/Malifaux/Malifaux_City_Terrain.php 

• Like 4

Good work! The density of impassable terrain is as you suggest perhaps a bit high, but I would only reduce it as you can replace it with other scatter-type terrain pieces. More is definitely better than less, when it comes to terrain, I think. Unless you're playing Sonnia/Perdita/Ophelia/Rasputina/etc., and are more keen on winning than on a balanced game.... :)

Quick aside -- there's a picture of Marcus with a Silurid that you call a Waldgeist. Thought you might want to fix that.

Oops - yep, changed !   

I'm wondering if there is a sort of spray-on wash that I could try over all of the buildings to grime them up a bit, but not been able to find one - has anyone got any tips on this? 

I also do need to pick up some low-level scatter terrain - crates and barrels  - but it seems to expensive for what it is on eBay etc. Again any suggestions gratefully received. 

Plastic Soldier Company weathering sprays are good for generally griming up anything really. Terrain, WW2 tanks, human skin etc. Comes in multiple varieties like mud brown.

Simply spray on, wait 10 mins and gently wipe over the areas with a damp sponge. The more textured the surface the better the result.

An option for crates and the like is Hirst Art molds, they have a couple inn models and a dungeon accessory mold that has a lot of random pieces.  Sure it is not the cheapest route either but you can make as many as you want that way meaning if you want to expand later or have them for a second table or something it is an option.