Lack of Piper Love?

SurreyLee

Oh I didn't hire any, I just meant that it didn't seem to do much of anything for 8 ss models. I dunno, I halfway liked the swarm of rats simply to outactivate the enemy more than the king feebly slapping for a few points of damage.

I think that was part of the reason they added it as well, that might well be why you have no choice about voltroning into the Rat King.  To keep your swarm of rats you have to keep them apart making it harder for you to tie up models and do stuff while having the numbers.

• Like 1

I find them quite useful, although they're probably more like a decent 6ss model in terms of performance. The plus to hit is good late in the turn when hands are low and they can rack up a lot of blighted while also dealing damage. Their (0) is hugely strong in the right circumstances and being able to sacrifice them when they're no longer useful and potentially make a new one with the Ratcatcher is pretty good.

I kind of wonder if they cost 8 stones to discourage you from hiring them though, or at least make it so you don't always hire one in place of a Ratcatcher anyway. 

• Like 1

I kind of wonder if they cost 8 stones to discourage you from hiring them though, or at least make it so you don't always hire one in place of a Ratcatcher anyway. 

More or less this, I think. I think they are costed that way in order to keep the rat engine at bay. Hamelin can still make it hum without much fuzz.

I like them late game, in order to snipe scheme markers, deny schemes and strategies where the opponent needs to not be engaged, etc.

Another thing, in what strategies are you guys preferring Hamelin? For me he is a lock for Interference. Quite a strong choice for Head hunter, or Squatter's Rights. And I like him in Turf War/Extraction and Guard the Stash, since he got a lot of pushes. If both Distract and Cursed Object is around, there must be a lot of other reasons not to take him. He can deny those with such ease.

• Like 1

I think Rat Kings are in the same boat as Arachnid Swarms - though easier to get. They're a mid-late game denial piece more than anything. Gnaw is one of the most frustrating abilities in the game so long as there are any marker schemes in the pool, especially since Nihilist does a good job of denying interact schemes.

Hamelin seems to be a master that wants to win 1-0. 

• Like 1

I think Rat Kings are in the same boat as Arachnid Swarms - though easier to get. They're a mid-late game denial piece more than anything. Gnaw is one of the most frustrating abilities in the game so long as there are any marker schemes in the pool, especially since Nihilist does a good job of denying interact schemes.

Hamelin seems to be a master that wants to win 1-0.

Very true.

I really don't understand why the King is 8SS (other than that it's components add up to that) - it is, I think, undeniably the worst 8SS model in the game. Quite a bit worse than the Executioner point for point.

I agree that Rat Kings aren't worth 8SS to hire them on their own; however, I think it's important to consider them as a cog in the Hamelin machine.  Outside of losing some activation control, a single Rat King is better than 4 Rats in terms of movement, utility, damage output, and potentially Blight spreading. One extremely important thing they can do is to replace lost Rat Catchers, and think that often gets overlooked.  So I suspect that the Rat Kings' cost comes at least partially from their synergy with the rest of Hamlin's theme crew and not from the Rat King's inherent capabilities.

But I definitely agree with comments in the thread suggesting that Rat Kings are better late game.  Once there's Blight spread around, it's much easier for them to make (1) AP charges and it's more likely that Gnaw will see use later in the game.