Is the executioner the answer to Mech Rider?

4thstringer

So I was brainstorming this on the way home, and I think that my favorite pleasantly plump killing machine might be the answer to mech rider concerns. He can eat the scheme markers the mech rider puts out with its gun, it ignores the damage reduction trigger, and since the models summoned are half strength, it will get to heal all over the place. The biggest issue I see is actually catching it, as it is much faster than him. Your thoughts?

That if you can't catch her none of the rest matters. It's an interesting idea, and not bad in anyway, because the exigencies of the game might cause it to work out for you, but just from a theoretical standpoint, I think anything that can get to it turn 1 or 2 and do massive DMG are better control ideas. But you should definitely try it.

If executioner wasn't so terribad, he would be an answer to lot of things. ATM he costs about 2 points too much.

I agree. Might play him from time to time for 8, would play him a lot for 7.

Just out of curiosity: If he got an upgrade like Samurai, what would you have it do? It could be about as powerful as a 2SS upgrade by your calculation.

I feel bad for being so down on the Executioner so much, but I just don't see him getting close enough to the Mech Rider to make a difference. She has a walk of 6 and doesn't need to be any closer than 8 inches to an enemy to get her scheme marker mojo working. Once she's landed Arcane Ritual, she can use Revel In Creation to scoot to a more advantageous position and drop a gamin to block charge lanes.

The Executioner is no better at killing Metal Gamin (which are 100% of the things I see people summon with the McRider) than anything else in the game; in fact, considering how many resources it takes to get the Executioner to work, I'd say he's actually worse at it than someone who can just bury the thing in blasts. That's how I usually take out the Rider, anyway. Sonnia is great at killing it early while it is hiding or blasting it off the table once its defense trigger starts becoming a nuisance. Papa Loco can one round it pretty easily, as well, although it is a bit of a pain to deliver him.

Why do you guys feel the Executioner is so bad?

Mainly because he dies. He is one of the few Guild models without a ranged attack and cannot be played from the back. He lacks any defense as long as he isn't killing things and usually doesn't make it into combat.

Then, he really struggles against Armor.

Finally, his best feature, the (0), is totally dependent on enemy actions.

For 7 SS, all this would balance quite nicely against his rather strong melee attack. And that is the final nail in the coffin: For the price of an Executioner with Lead Lined Coat, I get a Peacekeeper, which has none of the above mentioned downsides.

• Like 6

Mainly because he dies. He is one of the few Guild models without a ranged attack and cannot be played from the back. He lacks any defense as long as he isn't killing things and usually doesn't make it into combat.

For 7 SS, all this would balance quite nicely against his rather strong melee attack. And that is the final nail in the coffin: For the price of an Executioner with Lead Lined Coat, I get a Peacekeeper, which has none of the above mentioned downsides.

Sold.

Very much this.

Just out of curiosity: If he got an upgrade like Samurai, what would you have it do? It could be about as powerful as a 2SS upgrade by your calculation.

It should cost -2ss. Or give him Htw +1 and armor +1 or something.

I think that he already does plenty damage in melee, and the Peacekeeper has "big tanky mofo" on lockdown, so I'd look at giving him some ways of either reaching combat intact or contributing to his crew without being in melee.

I'd call it something like "Sentenced to Death", and have it give him Hard to Kill and Scent of Evidence, off the Guild Hound. You already want him to be attacking models near by enemy scheme markers, and this makes him even better at getting there to do it. He has a very respectable charge distance, and if he can use an AP to position before charging, I think he'd work out a lot more in play.

The other thing we could do is just literally give him Seamus' Sinister Rep upgrade. Have some sort of fear-based ranged attack that would allow him to pick up his Love the Job heal at range, so he can heal up without committing to melee and he can pick off low-health targets to keep himself healthy.

That would even more emphasize the issue that once an Executioner hits the table, the opponent will avoid Scheme markers. Its already the case at the moment. No one plays Protect Territory with him around, and it doesn't do a lot for Breakthrough.

That would even more emphasize the issue that once an Executioner hits the table, the opponent will avoid Scheme markers. Its already the case at the moment. No one plays Protect Territory with him around, and it doesn't do a lot for Breakthrough.

Surely that alone is a reason to select him.

Protect Territory seems to be considered one of the easiest schemes to get 3 VP from.

• Like 1

Surely that alone is a reason to select him.

Protect Territory seems to be considered one of the easiest schemes to get 3 VP from.

Would be, if the Peacekeeper couldn't deny Protect Territory just as easy, while not being dependent on it to do his thing.

I'm not saying the Executioner is bad per say, just too expensive.