Sign in to follow this  
Kalkris

Mr. Cooper's Dark Carnival - Homebrew Crew Brainstorm (part 1)

So, what would your Hazy+1 condition read as?

I just thought of this as sort of a mashup of what I have and what you have.

"Hazy+1: When this model declares an Action other than a Walk Action or an Interact Action, it must pass +1 TN13 Wp duel or the action fails."

Hmm? Hmm? lol

~Lil Kalki

I keep editing it, so here goes..

Hazy +1: At the start of every turn, this model must pass a TN 13 Wp duel to remove Hazy +1.

Then going back to the idea I had earlier for Cooper's passive ability:

Danse Macabre: Enemy models with the Hazy +1 condition within  :aura 6 must pass a TN 13 Wp duel when declaring any action other than a Walk action or the action automatically fails.

Every model with Hazy +1 makes you burn cards before the turn begins, either from your deck or your hand, and then models that have the condition have to burn cards in order to act how you want them to. It's all passive denial based on whatever dark magic is at work from the Carnival itself. 

Also, that's his defense theme - you're too confused and disoriented to actually attack him if you get too close. 

• Like 2

Blade Mummerette

Inanimate: This model may only activate if there is a friendly Mr Cooper within 8".  When this model activates it gains the slow condition.

No strings: This model may not be pushed, placed, buried or sacrificed by enemy models.

Df -

Wp -

Wd -

Wk -

Cg -

Ht 2

Attack actions

Twin blades, this attack receives a  :+fate to the attack flip

Ml 6, Rng 2" Damage 3/4/5

Mallet Mumerette

Inanimate: This model may only activate if there is a friendly Mr Cooper within 8".  When this model activates it gains the slow condition.

No strings: This model may not be pushed, placed, buried or sacrificed by enemy models.

Df -

Wp -

Wd -

Wk -

Cg -

Ht 2

Attack actions

Mallet smash, this attack receives a  :+fate to the damage flip

Ml 7, Rng 3" Damage 3/4/6

Would be their basic idea.  You could add some triggers to do things to their weapons and a (0) action each or something.

Sorry to double post  but I wanted to comment on this too. I do like this idea the more I read it.

No Strings should probably read "The model cannot be killed, buried, or sacrificed. This model cannot be moved, placed, or pushed by enemy models."

Also, I think that From the Shadows would be great.

And why should Inanimate grant Slow, when there's already a huge restriction on when they can activate?

Beyond that, my cuppa at least. :)

~Lil Kalki

P.S. - At this point, I think that we should solidify the main mechanics behind Cooper, the Monkeys, and the Mummers (when applicable), and then push to work on Lola next, followed by the Performer analogues. After that we should give another look to Cooper to see what else we can do with him, and work with upgrades from there. Tally ho!

I keep editing it, so here goes..

Hazy +1: At the start of every turn, this model must pass a TN 13 Wp duel to remove Hazy +1.

Then going back to the idea I had earlier for Cooper's passive ability:

Danse Macabre: Enemy models with the Hazy +1 condition within  :aura 6 must pass a TN 13 Wp duel when declaring any action other than a Walk action or the action automatically fails.

Every model with Hazy +1 makes you burn cards before the turn begins, either from your deck or your hand, and then models that have the condition have to burn cards in order to act how you want them to. It's all passive denial based on whatever dark magic is at work from the Carnival itself. 

Also, that's his defense theme - you're too confused and disoriented to actually attack him if you get too close. 

In terms of your wording for the Hazy+1 condition, what I think you want is this:

"Hazy+1: At the start of every turn, this model must pass a TN 13 Wp duel to reduce this model's Hazy condition by 1."

We will want a lot of AoE Hazy going around. Can we perhaps say if they fail the Wp duel, it ticks up by +1? >:D

~Lil Kalki

P.S. - At this point, I think that we should solidify the main mechanics behind Cooper, the Monkeys, and the Mummers (when applicable), and then push to work on Lola next, followed by the Performer analogues. After that we should give another look to Cooper to see what else we can do with him, and work with upgrades from there. Tally ho!

So which are the totems and which are the minions? Also, what about making Lizzy the totem instead? 

I was hoping to make the Mummerettes the Totem, and failing that the Monkeys, but let's think on that for a moment. What can we do with Thin Lizzy? I am definitely down with the Mummers in Manic Mouses' iteration being the totems in a Huggy manner (because I like the way they have been thought into so far and also to prevent Collodi from taking them without adding too many rules to them), but I'm open to whatever at this stage.

So, what have you? :D

In terms of your wording for the Hazy+1 condition, what I think you want is this:

"Hazy+1: At the start of every turn, this model must pass a TN 13 Wp duel to reduce this model's Hazy condition by 1."

We will want a lot of AoE Hazy going around. Can we perhaps say if they fail the Wp duel, it ticks up by +1? > :D

~Lil Kalki

It doesn't have to go up by 1 for failing - that's the genius of it. You're stuck with it for failing, and if you get hit with it again, that's another turn you need to burn a card, and still be stuck with it. Possibly his scarf trigger for a  :crow at  :melee 2. Then his melee option becomes a condition / push / attack again generator (Slow, Hazy, Push 3", Attack same target w/o trigger).

Maybe give him Ca +1 against models with the Hazy +1 condition as well? Or make that part of an Upgrade - that (to be named later) models within LoS of Cooper receive the Ca +1 etc etc... 

• Like 1

And why should Inanimate grant Slow, when there's already a huge restriction on when they can activate?

Well  I think granting a master 3AP plus 4AP from both the mummerettes would be far too much.  As it is the master would have 3 AP and each mumerette would have 1, giving a total of 5 which is really good.

You could also work in triggers.  So, for example, have whatever ability Mr Cooper uses to move them have a trigger that allows them to make an attack immediately after moving.

I also think they should both have companion (Mr Cooper), which would give you the option of which you wanted to companion if they were close enough.

So their abilities would be:

Inanimate - This model may only activate if there is a friendly Mr Cooper within 8".  When this model activates it gains the slow condition.

No strings attached - This model cannot be moved, placed, pushed, sacrificed or buried by enemy models.

Companion (Mr Cooper)

The problem I see with giving them from shadows is that if they only work within 8" of Mr Cooper you have to work him towards them before they can do anything, which an opponent would know and be able to take advantage of.

EDIT: So, for example, Mr Cooper could have the ability:

Mummerette Shuffle (1)

Ca 7 :crow Tn 12

Any Mumerette models within 8" may be placed anywhere within 8" of this model

Triggers

:mask The show must go on: Mumerettes may make a (1) action after being placed

:crow Double time: A mummerette of your choice gains the fast condition

:tome  Mummerette's boy: After placing the mummerettes this model may be placed in base contact with a mummerette within 8"

• Like 1

Carny. ;)

Also, I think if we don't go the "tick up" route, we will need to step up the AoE Hazy, although I assume we were already doing that haha

As for additional effects to synergize with Hazy, how about a model like, say, Mercury having an ability like this?:

Intimidating: When an enemy model discards a card from their hand due to another Action or Ability, they must discard one additional card if applicable.

Or things to work with the Hazy condition directly? Perhaps an ability that makes one perform the Hazy duel for each instance of Hazy involved? Or something that grants Slow from failing Hazy?

Also, Manic: It depends on their cost. If we are making them free (a la Waifs), then I totally get where you're coming from. If they cost any more than 3SS, I think they can stick around without Slow.

I was hoping to make the Mummerettes the Totem, and failing that the Monkeys, but let's think on that for a moment. What can we do with Thin Lizzy? I am definitely down with the Mummers in Manic Mouses' iteration being the totems in a Huggy manner (because I like the way they have been thought into so far and also to prevent Collodi from taking them without adding too many rules to them), but I'm open to whatever at this stage.

So, what have you? :D

Depends on her backstory, if the Neverborn are replacing his family and friends with Mimics to keep him on his end of the bargain. The bearded woman could be his trusted assistant or lover or what have you. Make her a support role to augment his abilities, or a Hazy battery - like Transfusion, except as a (0), while she is within 6" of Cooper. She doesn't seem to do much in the story, but she should still have a melee attack, probably a sword or stiletto, probably  :+fate  to attack Hazy +1 models. 

I like the Flying Monkeys as distraction and scheme runner minions. Maybe (0) to pick up friendly Scheme Marker in base contact and place it in base contact with the model at the end of the activation like the Vulture. 

The Mummerettes I would make a summoned minion from Scrap Markers. Make them decent in melee, but not high damage output, and possibly Ml +1 against Hazy +1. Basically the entire crew benefits in some way against models with Hazy +1 on them, without the condition causing outright damage or additional conditions. 

Cooper gives out Hazy as a direct Ca attack, or low Ca  :pulse, or trigger from his Fine Silk Scarf. Lizzy can transfer Hazy to other models. Just my thoughts...

• Like 1

I do think that giving the Flying Monkeys the Vulture action would be good for scheme running purposes. They should also probably be able to pick up models as well. Perhaps - and this may be a bit much to work with but - Grab and Drop? Some weaker variation, maybe requiring many monkeys to do? lmao

If we many Lizzy (who I agree should be a support model) the ability to move Hazy from a model who is about to die to another model, would that be workable? Can we perhaps try to identify *what* the Haze is anyhow? is it perhaps soul essence, more concentrated than normal (and thus too dense to syphon into a soulstone)? If we can call it that, we could call that ability "Incorporation" or something along those lines.

And yeah, swallowed swords as a melee attack. :)

Carny. ;) - [i agree here]

Also, I think if we don't go the "tick up" route, we will need to step up the AoE Hazy, although I assume we were already doing that haha - [the fact that the condition doesn't go away is the benefit here. If a model fails the initial duel, it has to perform 2 more duels during its activation in order to perform any action that isn't Walk, so it burns 3 cards a turn without doing anything]

As for additional effects to synergize with Hazy, how about a model like, say, Mercury having an ability like this?:

Intimidating: When an enemy model discards a card from their hand due to another Action or Ability, they must discard one additional card if applicable. - [too much card burning, I think. Like I said above, 3 cards a turn just to do anything per model means 20% of a fate deck can potentially be wasted on duels. Perhaps he would count as Terrifying to models with the Hazy +1 condition, causing another simple duel]

Or things to work with the Hazy condition directly? Perhaps an ability that makes one perform the Hazy duel for each instance of Hazy involved? Or something that grants Slow from failing Hazy?- [i wouldn't want to throw other or additional conditions onto that, because of crazy interactions like Alps, or Poison, etc. Plus this makes Cooper's unique mechanic only work for him, and possibly Lola, since we have to think about the wider Faction. He/she is a Henchman, therefore, he/she should be able to inflict Hazy +1 as well.]

Also, Manic: It depends on their cost. If we are making them free (a la Waifs), then I totally get where you're coming from. If they cost any more than 3SS, I think they can stick around without Slow.

I was thinking of them as costing nothing and being like Lord Chompy or Hungering Darkness.  They being the primary means for Mr Cooper to do damage, with the rest of his abilities being support/manipulation/casting based.  They would be really interesting since they can't move on their own but also can't be killed and it would be a very unique master mechanic.

I think it's time for bed.  This crew is very cool though, the models are amazing.

I really like the Dance Macabre and Hazy condition.  It's kind of like a variation on terrifying which fits the theme.

The henchman could also have the Dance Macabre aura, it would be like this crews version of the poison McMourning auras.

• Like 1

At this time of night (presently 12:36AM EST), I think I shall very much join those ranks of the slumbering.

I do like the idea of Lola having Dansa Macabre as well. Let's talk more on this tomorrow though haha

~Lil Kalki

Flying Monkey

Peon, Living, Totem (Mr. Cooper), Rare 3

Cost 4

Df 5     Wp 5     Wd 4     Wk 6     Cg 4     Ht 1

Abilities

Let Go of Me, You Little...: Enemy models in base contact with this model receive A Monkey on Your Back Condition that reads: "At the end of the move place every model that has Let Go of Me, You Little... Ability, that was in base contact with this model at the start of the move, into base contact with it again."

Insignificant: This model may not take Interact Actions.

Flight: This model is immune to falling damage and may ignore any terrain or models while moving.

Hard to Kill: While this model has 2 or more Wd remaining when it suffers damage, it may not be reduced to below 1 Wd.

Swarm: A Crew may hire up to three of this model.

Attack Actions

(1) Monkey Bussines (Ml 4 :mask / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee 1): Target suffers 0/1/2 damage.

:ramBullying: This attack deals +1 damage for every model with Let Go of Me, You Little... Ability in base contact with the target.

:crowThose Bastards Bite!: After succeeding, target gains the Poison +1 Condition a number of times equal to the number of models with Let Go of Me, You Little... Ability in base contact with it.

:maskTable Top: Move the target 1" a number of times equal to the number of models with Let Go of Me, You Little... Ability in base contact with it.

Tactical Actions

(1) Tug: Target an enemy model in base contact. Draw a card for every friendly model with Let Go of Me, You Little... Ability in base contact with the target, choose one card and add total of remaining Wounds of said models. Opponent does the same for the target and its friendly models that are in base contact with it. If your total is higher than your opponents, move the target this model's Cg. Models with Let Go of Me, You Little... Ability are ignored for the purpose of this move.

(2) Hey, Thats mine! (Ca 4 / TN: 13 :mask): Target an enemy model in base contact. Its controller discards a card, then you draw a card.

The idea was that Flying Monkeys would swarm someone and start bullying them - push, bite, tug at them, go through their pockets...

The idea behind the Tug Tactical Action is that Flying Monkeys would have advantage, when there would be more of them and that weaker models (models with fewer Wd reaming) would be easier to tug at. And it would be easier for the enemy model to defend, if there were some friends to help him, like hold him so that he wouldn't get dragged away.

Another thing... I think, that Mercury should be the one who has an Ability or Action called The Show Must Go On, not Mr. Cooper.

• Like 1

IF the Mannequins are the Totems, which I am positive to, the Monkeys should probably be Insignificant Peons. Anyway, the Mannequins could still be Minions even if they cant interact, which could help on some Strats.

Still, I feel like Lola could make for a great Totem, a significant Enforcer one like Karina, not a free one like Huggy, and then Thin Lizzy could be a cool control-type Henchwoman and Mercury a bruiser-like Enforcer.

If the monkeys should keep the moving people shenanigans, that would deffinately be a (2) Action, even more if they were to be inmune to dissengaging that way. Also, Grab and Drop sounds cool, although on Ml 1 only, and only once per turn, imho.

Well you could consider giving the undying non moving slowed downs mannequins Pounce like if you want them to be Coopers ml attacks and tone down from there.

Well you could consider giving the undying non moving slowed downs mannequins Pounce like if you want them to be Coopers ml attacks and tone down from there.

Not sure how I feel about an Undying model. Giving the Mummerettes Finish the Job would make them Scheme Markers once they're killed anyway, in addition to Scrap Markers from being Constructs. Maybe count them as Friendly Scheme Markers at the end of the game if they survive as well? Also would prefer to see a single profile for them rather than different - I like to keep things tidy.

• Like 1

Mr. Cooper needs some sort of ability called "No More Mr. Nice Guy".  Please make this happen.  (If this has already been suggested, sorry, I didn't read the whole thread!)

• Like 1

Mr. Cooper needs some sort of ability called "No More Mr. Nice Guy".  Please make this happen.  (If this has already been suggested, sorry, I didn't read the whole thread!)

I was thinking song titles as Upgrades. Give him more combat capability since he is being shaped more into a condition-caster

• Like 1