June 15th - GenCon Goodies

Lucidicide

Oh, also, in my interest in what counts as what (and it's pretty obvious now- I just didn't connect since the monkeys didn't register as being as small), I didn't mention- I think the alt crew thing is a fantastic way to add more minis and character without the rules getting bloated to hell and/or one faction getting an extra master. Kudos on that approach.

• Like 5

Such as? And what for?

I mean the renders and box art of the four crews. They are rather small and what I would like to see is images with the same resolution as those in the webstore, zooming the pdf doesn't help since the images stored there has a limited resolution.

And because I'd like to see them more clearly.

• Like 2

If it follows the same tread as the last 4 years, then $80 maybe $60. 

And I'm back to buying Collodi. As nice as the dark carnival minis are, I'm not paying $80, or even $60 for a crew set. If the set had some extra minis, or unique stats, then maybe it'd be more worth it.

Well from far off distant Australia the only thing I have to say is when will you leeches take my damn money and make me pay insane US freight. Those who have read what I've written in other places know Collette is my favourite Master and that Wong is the God of Gremlins in my mind. Pretty much the box sets which define why I play Malifaux and why I love it. I also love the twisted subversiveness of the Dark Carnival.

So I will simply sit by the keyboard as GenCon starts and bankrupt myself till Christmas.

Thanks Wyrd, at least you actually give those of us thousands of kilometers away from the US and Europe an fair chance to get the cool awesome stuff.

I doubt it. It's basically a fun take on a Nightmare crew - alternate models. Just in this case, they're really alternate.

Also, giving them their own rules would suck for people who can't get their hands on one.

Leave them as fun alternates to Colette.

Well from far off distant Australia the only thing I have to say is when will you leeches take my damn money and make me pay insane US freight. Those who have read what I've written in other places know Collette is my favourite Master and that Wong is the God of Gremlins in my mind. Pretty much the box sets which define why I play Malifaux and why I love it. I also love the twisted subversiveness of the Dark Carnival.

So I will simply sit by the keyboard as GenCon starts and bankrupt myself till Christmas.

Thanks Wyrd, at least you actually give those of us thousands of kilometers away from the US and Europe an fair chance to get the cool awesome stuff.

I'm dreading it with the dollar slipping ever lower. But I'm getting that Dark Carneval set. As you say, it's nice when a company gives those on the other side of the pond a fair chance to get the cool stuff. I've been playing Malifaux for a year now and have more alternate limited edition models for it than any other game - including GW games which I've player for over twenty years - simply because they let me buy them.

From experience, probably not. Not that there isn't, sort of, a precedent, as the dead Justice boxed set could be used as a lady j crew or various miscellaneous Resser models. But they were all released at once. I doubt very highly that they will be creating a Neverborn dark carnival crew with brand new rules. Especially since Collodi is a thing.

So I'm wondering if the Dark Carnival will get alternate rules of their own later on, perhaps as Neverborn? So you can play them as one faction or the other, not both. The only reason I wonder this is their story in chronicles. They feel very Neverborn.

Yeah, as said, not very likely.

So I'm wondering if the Dark Carnival will get alternate rules of their own later on, perhaps as Neverborn? So you can play them as one faction or the other, not both. The only reason I wonder this is their story in chronicles. They feel very Neverborn.

The nearest to that we ever had was the old Dead Justice Box set which had undead versions of the Justice box, and a ressurectionist card for each model, allowign them to be used as a certain ressurectionist minion.

I don't think the crew fits as any of the current neverborn, and they aren't going to release rules just for a limited edition model.

Its only unique sculpts, not Unique rules

There are no such plans at this time.

They are an alternate version of a Colette crew.

I like the Dark Carnival twsit on the models, and it looking totally different, whist still fitting theme and rules. I just keep having to ask myself do I need 7 different Colette models. Or 7 different performers. (maybe I need to get 1 to fit each faction for merc duties)

I think the answer is yes.

There are no such plans at this time.

They are an alternate version of a Colette crew.

OK Thanks Mason. I am happy either way. The models are fantastic and even though I am not a Colette fan, I will be picking this up and I guess starting Arcanist. So in addition to Outcast and Ten thunders and Gremlins for the wife, I can start buying Arcanists. Well played Wyrd. Well played. 

Hello,

Wow, that Dark Carnival looks stellar.  Love the dark freak show vibe it conveys. Looking forward to some of the dioramas it will inspire!

The Miss Anne Thrope looks very appealing to me as well, love the part about the multiple pieces to create several different poses. Hope that means there will be a way to procure more than one!   I love the Clockwork Orange look/feel of some of the models scattered throughout the range, Wastles, Guild Layers, Lucius,  Jakob Lynch etc. She will fit in fantastically to the ambience/feel I am going for.  (although the first miniatures from Wyrd that I am doing are Riflemen, and the Lone Marshal. (stock issues in my area...hehe)

Good to see so may people with the same vices I have here. haha  Will be saving up until the end of July I guess. Looking forward to spending it!  (and that makes it all worth while)

Take care, 

Joe

Hey Aaron,

If the playerbase wanted to, hypothetically (or maybe for realsies, who knows? ;) ), create non-canon rules for casual gameplay for the Carnival as, say, Neverborn (as that makes the most sense), what do you think would be the best way to go about it? Should the playerbase hold their own non-canon beta test? What guidelines do you surmise one should work with so as to keep the Carnival in line with other, canon, crews?

I figure that if we're making Mr. Cooper Neverborn, we give him an ability that allows him to hire Mannequins and Performers (or, if making him DF Arcanist/Neverborn, perhaps give him Infiltration (Puppets/Showgirls)? That seems like a fair start, as well as the ability to hire Flying Monkeys (or summon through an Action, sacrificing non-Flying Monkey totems in th process). I also suppose I'd have to look into the fluff for more references for the sake of actions, other abilities, and upgrades (The Dark Carnival sounds like a good "Dead Of Winter"-style upgrade name if you ask me). But yeah, what say you to guidelines to work with?

I am certain that this (hypothetical or no) non-canon beta test could be a fun thing to do - and I know that, unlike some other companies, you are allowed to peek at designs like this (since you're here and all) - but I do feel we as a fandom and player base need some gauge of how to properly cache a master, or such and such.

And if it can't be done, know that I'm still planning on getting ahold of the box despite not playing Arcanists at all :)

~Lil Kalki

Mother of God. Dark Carnival will be mine! >8) I'm guessing that Mr. Cooper's first name is Alice?

Definently using that stuff instead of Colette but definently want to buy Colette anyway... I'm in an awkward place in my hobby life. :/

Between Baritone Lola and the reaction to my R3 IP entry I think its safe to say I'm going with my "Hypothesis C" = "Nathan is more or less indifferent to klowns and it was a silly baseless rumor which he neither confirmed nor denied to keep the rumors and secrets floating because reasons."

Thanks for including my entry in the Chronicles... even though it was the one I tried the least on. ;)

There is nothing to stop someone from using the Dark Carnival as something else. Maybe not official at Gencon or Adepticon, but locally, go nuts and use it as what ever you like. 

Personally, I would love to formulate a completely unofficial beta on the forums haha

~Lil Kalki

Okay, I am totally down for that! Now then, to make rough drafts and such... I already have taken the time to make a Mr. Cooper (three upgrades as well), and Flying Monkey stats. Now, to make Baritone Lola, Mercury, and Thin Lizzy... And likely another 3 upgrades haha

I'm thinking Arc/Nvb - does that sound good? :)

~Lil Kalki

It could be interesting to have the monkeys as movement pieces.  For example have a rule that when they start in base contact with a model they can make a move and that model is placed in base contact with them.  Give them a rule for ignoring disengaging strikes so they can be used to move enemy models about as well as friendly models, at the cost of remaining in combat with them.

Trying to brainstorm unique mechanics for the crew.